MODERATOR CONTACT FUNCTION
15 responses | 0 likes
Started by Julie_Hardy_Moderator - Dec. 14, 2017, 2:55 p.m.

Many of you have tried to contact me as far back as late November. I did not receive that message traffic at the current e-mail address and e-mail client. Only yesterday, was I able to see the content on the form that is used to transmit messages. We are currently experiencing a DNS issue that we are working to correct. Hopefully, it will not take longer than a week.

In the meantime, I will be responding to your queries and trying to sort whatever concerns exist. Thanks for your patience.

Comments
By metmike - Dec. 16, 2017, 7:36 a.m.
Like Reply

Julie,

I tried to contact you 5 times, including  2 times before you made these changes to tell you that I had told Alex why I thought that some of the exact same ones you made, he should not make. 

I spend a great del of times making what I thoughtf oils be helpful/useful comments to your desired changes. I see that none of it was used and apparent never received.

Good luck Julie

Metmike...
0 likes
By JP - Dec. 16, 2017, 10:04 a.m.
Like Reply

Mike -- Sounds like a good-bye to me (understandable, but sorry if it's so).

This was intended to be a reply to your post -- apparently, it's impossible to delete a post, or if there is a way to do it the how to is not at all clear. I speculated about this previously, but, perhaps unsurprisingly, there was no response regarding the issue.

The problem with an inoperative Contact the Moderator function was raised in a thread initiated by by Tim New and seconded by me, including in my follow-through post, titled "Contacting the Moderator" on December 8th. It seemed to me that it was a high priority issue in need of a fix.

So far, IMO, the roll-out does not augur well for the future of the new site.

325 likes
By metmike - Dec. 16, 2017, 12:25 p.m.
Like Reply

Hi jp,

There are obviously numerous huge problems that I spent some time trying to identify and make suggestions about on something like 5 occasions and this made obvious another problem.........no response. 

I just don't have the time to justify doing that again when the result was a complete waste. 

Just to quickly review a few of the items. BTW, Alex wanted to make changes a couple of years ago and the ones made now, are exactly the ones I told him NOT to make. 

1. The likes choice needs to go. I went to a lightning post and generated 100 likes in 30 seconds.  At the very least, limit each person to 1 vote. However, the single digit likes responses to posts after 10 days only highlights how dead the forum is.......very counterproduction. This is also not a popularity contest.

2. The old format for posting needs to come back. It was not broken. It was nice to see the entire contents of posts in chronological order as soon as you arrived......or by threading with titles/dates if that was your preference. We need to see dates on each post without having to actually go to the post. 

3. When you make changes to something that existed for 20 years that has thousands of followers over the years, you want to keep much of its identity so they feel like they are coming back to a familiar internet home..... change a couple elements for the better and over time, consider changing others if it makes sense. 

What has been done is a complete overhaul to a new forum that is more like starting from scratch with ideas from a few people that, quite frankly have bad judgment.  

What's frustrating for me, is that I spent hours with Alex testing some of these ideas(the likes button for instance) and told him DON'T DO IT! I sent him links to other forums that had some positive things to consider but I told Alex the posting format at the old forum was already perfect. 

Sometimes, when we are struggling(with traffic too low) we assume that changes are needed and in the absence of identifying the actual problem, make the wrong changes.....and it  make things worse. 

For me, it would be one thing if this happened without my input. However, I also sent messages to Julie about this and..............here we are.

I have stated some of my concerns now for all to see since this is the only way it was ever going to be seen. 

BTW, the problem of the old forum would have best been addressed by just changing 1 thing.  Have the exact same posting format but create an additional choice for NTR posts.  Also, allowing trolls to take the forum into the toilet with impunity for months was a mistake.  I had fun with many of these exchanges (creating Big Billy Goat Gruff)  and turned the farse of it into making fun of them...........but this farse destroyed the credibility. Yes, the trolls greatly increased traffic but it was sheet traffic. Having an NTR forum would have been appropriate............but even that would have needed to be monitored for appropriated behavior. 

I like the new colors and the way advertisements are done and actually most of the rest..........but who comes here for that?

When you arrive and see the posts with all the 0 and single digit responses all the way down, you might think the new forum started an hour ago(not earlier this month)..............this is a blatant advertisement of failure. We can't even generate troll traffic anymore. Trolls feed on disrupting forums.............and there isn't anything here to disrupt or people to read their garbage..... seriously. 

So I have stated my concerns but did not mean the earlier post to be a final resignation..........more of a wishing Julie good luck ignoring my inputs. 

I really have been ignoring some key things in my personal life and have gone from  one of the worlds best weather traders a decade ago, to the worst trader, losing alot of money with emotion and lack of discipline. Part of that might relate to getting lazy and having too much fun doing things like engaging with trolls or reading too much stuff on the internet for enjoyment...........which can be very addictive. 

I will never be "gone" forever from the forum and in fact, have realized over the last 10 days, that it has been a huge habit to constantly go here first to see if there is anything to read from my favorite posters...........and I still have hundreds of friends here(or that used to be at the old forum).

Over the years I truly have enjoyed a close friendship with many, including a personal one outside the forum with guys like local(who has been to my house) greenman, who I spoke with on the phone dozens of times and even Joe K. who bashed weather trading and i sent him a personal email to extend friendship and explain weather trading............and he emailed me for months after that. Even our evil trolls have provided me with hours of entertainment and opportunities  to analyze their neurotic  brains and the captured minds of those that follow the destroy Trump at any cost belief system and those indoctrinated into the human caused climate change religion. 

As you can see, when I get rolling with a post......it goes on and on and on and this is exactly the sort of thing that probably should be reigned in.

344 likes
By metmike - Dec. 16, 2017, 12:29 p.m.
Like Reply

Note my proof of an issue with the likes button with the previous post. 

By JP - Dec. 16, 2017, 2:17 p.m.
Like Reply

"The old format for posting needs to come back. It was not broken. It was nice to see the entire contents of posts in chronological order as soon as you arrived......or by threading with titles/dates if that was your preference. We need to see dates on each post without having to actually go to the post."

I agree with this 100%. My vision of a great update to MF would have been such that when you accessed the forum, the first page offered two choices -- the TR Forum, or the NTR Forum. The individual forums would use the same method of displaying posts as the original one did.

Assuming you have already participated in a thread, under the new threading system there is no way to easily determine if a current post in that thread is addressed to you or to another poster, so one has to open the thread and scroll down to find out. Before, all one had to do was scroll down the page to any threads of interest. If there was a new post by somebody I liked to follow, even if it wasn't addressed to me (which was obvious) I would most likely open it up, and if it was by somebody I would rather not read, I could ignore it. I would describe the new system as way less user friendly than the old one.

I also wonder how many have been unable to sign up due to restrictions on the "Username" and vague instructions (for the layman) about what is allowed or not in a Username (particularly spaces, which are not allowed). Couple that with a moderator who doesn't get emails and you have a forum that should have remained in the beta stage, especially as it became obvious that the moderator wasn't even receiving input (emails) from the beta testers before the switch-over occurred.

If this site were a "hit" from the user perspective, you would see more people posting here and more posts on the board than there currently are.

By TimNew - Dec. 16, 2017, 3:48 p.m.
Like Reply

I too, expected some sort of selection page with the option for 1 of 2 forums (TR vs NTR)and expected the format to remain essentially unchanged. One of the tried and true rules I've learned in my 40 years of application development; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"..

Some tweaks may have been called for, but an overhaul may not have been the best approach.

By dietandexercise - Dec. 16, 2017, 11:30 p.m.
Like Reply

"have gone from one of the worlds best weather traders a decade ago, to the worst trader"

http://bressert.com/12-cardinal-mistakes-to-trading-futures-by-walter-bressert/

By cfdr - Dec. 17, 2017, 11:42 a.m.
Like Reply

Hi Mike,

I agree with all you say.  There is more too, however.  The problems of running a forum that satisfies most of the posters appear to be almost insurmountable.

By Vandenplas - Dec. 17, 2017, 12:01 p.m.
Like Reply

Until we can get the old format back where people can easily see who post and when, AND TO WHOM THEY RESPONDED

By Vandenplas - Dec. 17, 2017, 12:04 p.m.
Like Reply

Until we can get the old format back where people can easily see who posts and when, AND TO WHOM THEY RESPONDED, i.e., threading based on time and date, the new forum will continue to struggle.

Julie---drop everything and get this threading thing fixed first.  Then suspend or ban all the "evil" and "destructive" trolls.  

By metmike - Dec. 17, 2017, 12:30 p.m.
Like Reply

Was not meaning to be literal using the term evil for our trolls. 

By Vandenplas - Dec. 17, 2017, 12:36 p.m.
Like Reply

Bull feathers.

By cliff-e - Dec. 16, 2017, 4:03 p.m.
Like Reply

Golly this place is quiet...you can almost hear a sponsor drop. And what ads I do get have little to do with trading or markets but are from sites I visit elsewhere. Change for the sake of change ain't always good. :/

By Vandenplas - Dec. 16, 2017, 7:13 p.m.
Like Reply

"Evil" trolls?

By Julie_Hardy_Moderator - Dec. 18, 2017, 1:09 p.m.
Like Reply

First of all, I have not ignored anyone. If I did not reply it is because I did not receive your message. In any case, i will be discusing all of this with Kate when she shows up tonight at my home. There are some worthy thoughts to ponder.