Guilty of Being a Black Man
25 responses | 0 likes
Started by joj - Aug. 20, 2018, 5:11 p.m.

If the shoe were on the other foot whites would be doing a lot more than taking a knee.

https://www.facebook.com/100000358427695/videos/2039169456104982/UzpfSTc3NDU4MzQ0MzoxMDE1NjQzOTMxMjg5ODQ0NA/

Comments
By mcfarm - Aug. 20, 2018, 6:12 p.m.
Like Reply

will not waste time reading the link. What I will say wrong guy to protest, wrong time to protest, and wrong way to protest. The anthem and flag before games is to honor vets...period.....not to mention the players are supposed to be in their work place. Do it somewhere else at some other time by some other guy...Kapernick knows not one thing about being oppressed, the vets should never be disgraced

By joj - Aug. 21, 2018, 6:28 a.m.
Like Reply

Black man speaks out, whites get mad.

Black man takes a knee, whites get mad.

Black man dies unjustly, whites are silent.

By TimNew - Aug. 21, 2018, 7:01 a.m.
Like Reply

The problem with the entire BLM movement,  other than the fact that blacks are at far greater risk from other blacks is that it requires that the participants ignore a great deal of data. An honest look at the statistics shows no significant difference in police interactions based on race. It is a movement based on anecdotal evidence and ignorance.

By mcfarm - Aug. 21, 2018, 7:11 a.m.
Like Reply

uhhhh "whites get mad"????   attendance down a huge % for nfl last year...now how do you square that one? I know just throw crap out and the sheep will eat. does not fly in the face of fact. protest whenever you want, not during a 2 1/2 minute salute to our vets

By mojo - Aug. 21, 2018, 8:29 a.m.
Like Reply

Any “analysis” of police killings will of course show that in absolute numbers, more white people are killed in police shootings than black people, because (non-Hispanic) whites comprise a roughly five times greater share of the U.S. population (62% vs. 13%). So any “analysis” that is based on nothing more than absolute numbers and does not take demographics into account is inaccurate and misleading, Tim.

According to the most recent census data, there are nearly 160 million more white people in America than there are black people. White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. As The Post noted in a new analysis, that means black Americans are 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers.

This data from Snopes.

By mcfarmer - Aug. 21, 2018, 8:37 a.m.
Like Reply

Since when has the national anthem been a salute to veterans ?

Seriously, since when ?

I thought it was a salute to the country, like the flag.

By mcfarm - Aug. 21, 2018, 10:37 a.m.
Like Reply
By mcfarmer - Aug. 21, 2018, 4:51 p.m.
Like Reply

The article is about a specific flag, the “star spangled banner”  that flew over Fort McHenry.

The anthem is no more about veterans than it is about congress, the president, the judicial system, the citizens or any other part of America.

By mcfarm - Aug. 21, 2018, 5:52 p.m.
Like Reply

sorry, could sworn I read about francis scott key and the battle during the night, the banner yet waived, the military holding out against devastating odds, all the things you think in a major conflict including individual heroism. That is why when ever the anthem played or the banner is waived it is to honor vets

By carlberky - Aug. 21, 2018, 6:36 p.m.
Like Reply

To kneel during the performance of the Star Spangled Banner is to disregard and disrespect the sacrifice made by countless generations of patriots who gave their lives and bodies out of love for the most noble experiment in
governing in the history of the world. 

Protest is permitted and protected. but to soil the symbols of our nation is shameful and should be a stain on the reputation and conscience of those who do it. 

By mcfarmer - Aug. 21, 2018, 7:27 p.m.
Like Reply

Damn right. They should be forced to show respect for the sacrifices made by those who did so for the  freedoms we take for granted everyday.

By mcfarm - Aug. 22, 2018, 7:57 a.m.
Like Reply

Carl, that was  as well written as any post and is easily the post of the week

well done

By TimNew - Aug. 25, 2018, 6:38 a.m.
Like Reply

Mojo , You continue to ignore a lot of data.  The percentage of crimes committed by blacks far outweighs their population. 

By mojo - Aug. 25, 2018, 4:18 p.m.
Like Reply

Well then, there's only one thing to do. Go burn some crosses.

By carlberky - Aug. 25, 2018, 5:11 p.m.
Like Reply

"  The percentage of crimes committed by blacks far outweighs their population. "

Tim, so does their unemployment rate. 

By GunterK - Aug. 25, 2018, 5:57 p.m.
Like Reply

A while back, I watched a video clip taken from inside a police cruiser…showing a car chase and the following shoot-out… and I thought, “wow, that’s horrible”. Later I found out that this was a clip from a commercially produced movie.

When I watched the clip presented in the original post, I immediately thought, “this is not real”. If it really was the clip from an officer’s body-cam, it wouldn’t wind up on social media…unless a fatal shooting required it to be disclosed to the public.

Nevertheless…..let’s assume the clip is real….

No doubt, it is a shame that innocent black drivers have to go through this…. And these police officers should be put on leave, or given sensitivity training. And, as many black people have verified, such treatment happens quite frequently…. Even to well-known celebrities.

The question always is, why? TimNew pointed out crime statistics. Not long ago, I observed a conversation, focusing on the huge percentage of black and Latino prisoners in the jails of Los Angeles. Why such a racial imbalance in these jails?? A guy from Beverly Hills stood up and said “because our young men in Beverly Hills don’t do car-jackings and don’t hold up liquor stores”

While the crime statistics don’t lie, they unfortunately affect the lives of all people living in the :hoods”. Most black people are law-abiding citizens. Yet, these crime statistics overshadow their lives and makes it harder for them to even find jobs, all because of the bad apples In among them.

…..which leads to the “kneeling” issue…

As an immigrant, I probably should not get involved in this discussion. 

I often have wondered, why they play the anthem before sports events in the US. In Europe, they just come out and play, unless it is a major game of one country against another country.

However, I do know about the many brave soldiers who gave their lives to protect the flag during the battle at Fort Henry. As such, the flag and the anthem have become something almost ‘holy” to the patriots who love their country and its history… and since the anthem is played, and the flag is displayed before every sports event, every citizen who loves his country should respect both the anthem and the flag on this occasion.

An athlete may have strong opinions about unjust treatment and racial bias, but he/she should choose another venue, and another time, to display his feelings.

Actually I would like to hear Kapernick to give a speech sometime, at another place, saying something like….. 

“First, I would like to thank this nation and its citizens to allow me to live the American Dream… to live the American Dream at a level that 98% of the population will never be able to achieve. Because of your support, I have been able to achieve celebrity status, and I would like to apply this status to help find solutions to make our neighborhoods safer, and in the process, help remove the racial biases that exists in our society. It all starts in the home, where our children grow up……’

Ah, well, you know what I am trying to say. As so often, I am too long-winded. Signing out

By TimNew - Aug. 26, 2018, 8:20 a.m.
Like Reply

And that Carl, raises the questions we should be answering.  

BTW Mojo. Thanks for the consistent tripe

By TimNew - Aug. 26, 2018, 8:49 a.m.
Like Reply

Gunter.  Lets assume the video is real. What we can't assume is that this sort of treatment is limited to blacks/minorities. I've been hassled by cops a few times in my life. Scenes similar to what we see here.  In the millions of interactions between cops and civilians, occasionally the cops will mishandled one. 

yabba dabba doo
0 likes
By mojo - Aug. 26, 2018, 1:47 p.m.
Like Reply

Yabba dabba doo

By joj - Aug. 26, 2018, 3:56 p.m.
Like Reply

But did the cops stop you for no reason?

There was clearly no reason for these young men to be stopped.  NONE.  

It begs the question...

The cops perhaps weren't looking to bust an innocent man.  But they thought they might be guilty of something.  

Just as a small percent of Catholic priests are pedophiles, a small percent of cops are racists.  The cops likely thought a bust was possible because they believe blacks are guilty.  BUT YOU NEED PROBABLE CAUSE.  Being black is not probable cause.  

So did a cop ever stop you for no reason?  Did a cop ever put you in cuffs for no reason?

By TimNew - Aug. 27, 2018, 6:45 a.m.
Like Reply

I don't recall being cuffed for no reason. One time me and a few friends were parked on a street.  All white aged 16 to about 18.  We were just listening to music. No drugs no alcohol.  They just did not like our hippieness.  Took us down to the station.  Questioned us for a few hours and let us all go. A few other examples like this.  

By mojo - Aug. 27, 2018, 9:49 a.m.
Like Reply

If you'd have been black kids the cops would've planted a bag of heroin in your car and you'd all been tried as adults and sent to prison for 5 to 10. Your white privilege saved your white middle class a$$. 

By TimNew - Aug. 27, 2018, 8:12 p.m.
Like Reply

Yeah. Just like in the video we watched you hockey puck

By mojo - Aug. 28, 2018, 4:05 a.m.
Like Reply

Hockey puck? I've been called a lot of things, but this is a first for hockey puck. (guffaw)

By metmike - Aug. 28, 2018, 11:14 a.m.
Like Reply

By carlberky - Aug. 21, 2018, 6:36 p.m.            

To kneel during the performance of the Star Spangled Banner is to disregard and disrespect the sacrifice made by countless generations of patriots who gave their lives and bodies out of love for the most noble experiment in
governing in the history of the world. 

Protest is permitted and protected. but to soil the symbols of our nation is shameful and should be a stain on the reputation and conscience of those who do it. 

+=+++++++++=

By mcfarmer - Aug. 21, 2018, 7:27 p.m.            

Damn right. They should be forced to show respect for the sacrifices made by those who did so for the  freedoms we take for granted everyday.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By mcfarm - Aug. 22, 2018, 7:57 a.m.            

Carl, that was  as well written as any post and is easily the post of the week

well done

+++++++++++++

metmike:

I'll 2nd that nomination for this to  be the post of the week. 

Am back from 2 weeks of taking care of my Dad in Detroit and  will try to make this  place a bit more lively...................you guys are invited to partake!