Nike takes on Trump
12 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Sept. 4, 2018, 1:22 p.m.

Nike takes on Trump by naming Colin Kaepernick the face of 30th anniversary of ‘Just Do It’    

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nike-takes-politics-head-on-by-naming-colin-kaepernick-the-face-of-30th-anniversary-of-just-do-it-2018-09-04?mod=MW_story_top_stories

"Though Kaepernick is still a man without a team, his endorsement contract with Nike is extended into a new multiyear deal, according to a person familiar with the negotiations, the Wall Street Journal reported. That may include his own branded line of apparel, according to Yahoo NFL reporter Charles Robinson."

"Response on Twitter drew both praise and criticism for the ad campaign, including those who lamented the commercialization of the social justice efforts. Others welcomed the big money pressure on the NFL to keep race issues front and center, especially in a sport predominately played by African Americans."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Our Soundman just cut the Nike swoosh off his socks. Former marine. Get ready @Nike multiply that by the millions.

Comments
By mcfarm - Sept. 4, 2018, 2:32 p.m.
Like Reply

how smart is alienating over 1/2 of your customers?

By metmike - Sept. 4, 2018, 3:11 p.m.
Like Reply

mcfarm,

Actually they are focused on key demographics:

https://brandongaille.com/18-incredible-nike-demographic-segmentation/

"The goal is to equip teens under the age of 20 with athletic apparel, especially in sports like football and soccer."

The vast majority of athletes that wear Nike shoes are young people............who are also liberals. This is a marketing strategy based on appealing to that group.

Most of the guys that watch NFL football are not wearing Nike shoes. This move is purely based on what might make them the most money based on who wears their shoes.

With regards to the politics of kneeling by the players, personally, I think that its a good cause but when you have an authentic cause like this which features a behavior or actions that greatly offend many  millions(seen as disrespecting the flag and veterans) then out of respect for that large group, you find a less offending endeaver to apply your protesting or attention for that cause. 

Saying that your cause is not intending to offend them does not matter. The ones being offended have a personal relationship with the flag and national anthem and nobody gets to tell them what offends them. 

In being calloused and insensitive to the many millions being offended, you are creating more divisiveness and actually making your actions counter productive to the cause.  Those who currently underappreciate your cause/view, when seeing the manner in which you force it on them, are more likely to reject the message because the messenger(s) are shittting on their belief system with respect to the flag/national anthem. 

By silverspiker - Sept. 4, 2018, 7:12 p.m.
Like Reply

I just got a chill running up my spine. Just do it? F - U  Nike. Never again. There is no excuse for this. I hope your entire company especially those who made this decision fail miserably and do not recover. I will be donating all clothing and sportswear as of today to charity....  may you burn in hell.....
.... whose lives matter ??? ... Blue Lives Matter....
.... I WILL NEVER FORGET !

Image may contain: 3 people, people standing and outdoor

(* from a friend of silverspiker on facebook*)    Hey Nike! This is Police Officer Chris Amoroso. We worked together at the Port Authority Bus Terminal. This is the last picture of him alive. After he brought this woman to safety he ran back into the South Tower of the World Trade Center when it collapsed. If you look at his left hand, you’ll see your “swoosh” trademark.
“Believe in Something. Even if it means sacrificing everything. Just Do It.”
I’ll never buy another Nike product EVER again.

By silverspiker - Sept. 4, 2018, 7:21 p.m.
Like Reply

The other thing about this W.T.F. ,worst decision in marketing history ever, is that kaepernick is such a loser of an athlete (not even worthy of a participaters' trophy...ppffffttttt....) as well. He even sucks at standing on the sideline...  

By mcfarm - Sept. 4, 2018, 8:48 p.m.
Like Reply

what Nike is focused on {foolishly{ is the same as espn more pc bended knee policy of the lib culture. Nike is scared to death of the  use of slave labor over seas being exposed. They figure {again foolishly} if they give the libs something the Nike history will be forgotten. Hell works that way for Harvey Weinstein why not Nike? Then there is of course the wanting to stick Trump for more lib points as they have to bring their product back into the country. These policies will come crashing down on Nike. Just think how Michael Jordon kept politics out of basketball and shoes and now what a mess espn and nike have created

By mojo - Sept. 5, 2018, 9:19 a.m.
Like Reply

By mcfarm - Sept. 5, 2018, 9:44 a.m.
Like Reply

ain't no way those are trumps supporters. trump supporters are all at work

By frey_1999 - Sept. 5, 2018, 5:52 p.m.
Like Reply

waiting at the Mail box for their government gravy.

LOL 

By wglassfo - Sept. 5, 2018, 10:43 p.m.
Like Reply

Did somebody mention gov't gravy

He has managed to do both, to MAGA, which seems to me to be an  oxymoron

He offers American farmers 12 billion, which has strangely been sort of forgotten as has his demand that all subsidies be abolished

USA farmers are the most heavily subsidized in the world [of which Trump was probably unaware at the time but who knows]

Somebody must of stolen both papers off his desk before he could sign them and exactly as revealed in the book

Trump did not miss either paper before signing

By joj - Sept. 6, 2018, 8:13 a.m.
Like Reply

NIKE didn't make this decision for ANY reason other than $$$$.

They know their market.  They did careful research.

60% of their sales are from overseas.  (you think those customers care?)

Their domestic market is millennials and people of color (mostly).

In addition they want big athletes (also people of color) to wear the NIKE brand not Adidas or New Balance.

The next Lebron to come along will pick NIKE.

The proof will be in NIKE's stock performance relative to their competitors over the coming 6 months to 5 years.

A side note:  I find it sad that poor kids living in the inner city scrape all their money together to buy a $200 pair of Nike Air Jordans (or whoever).  When I talked to people who know that culture they say it's partly keeping up with the Joneses and partly because they don't have any long term goals (hope?) and this represents status or "success" to them.  I remember the Gene Hackman line from the movie Hoosiers:  "40 year old men sitting around drinking a beer talking about the glory days of High School."  Sad.

By mcfarm - Sept. 6, 2018, 9:27 a.m.
Like Reply

heard last nite one of the new avenues of advertisement is going to be kappernick the loser's story being compared to Pat Tillman's. If that is true nike headquarters should be closed down, nailed shut,and burned.

By metmike - Sept. 6, 2018, 11:21 a.m.
Like Reply

joj hit the nail on the head.