Corn yield info
7 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Oct. 7, 2018, 9:46 p.m.

Started corn this afternoon. Stalks are still wet after repeated rain, The last one was 2". This field is average and variable soil, which suffered drought and heat just before and at pollination. After it started to rain we had plenty of rain to finish the crop, but continues to get heat. Spent most of the day calibrating the combine as we switched from an 8 row corn head to a 12 row head. Stupid combine insisted we were harvesting 11 rows

Anyhow we have the glitches figured out and the moisture is 22.5%

Coverted to 15.5% the yield is 190 dry bu./acre

I was a bit greedy and hoping for 200/acre

We will have some at 200 plus but will not average much more or less than 190. This is usually the bell weather farm for all farm averages at the end of harvest. Total production divided by acres planted. I have 150 bu./acre sold at a very good price. Had to consider possibility of hail etc.

If we plant 98 million or more next yr?? what will the price be?? I bet china will not come to terms on the trade issues any time soon.

I will bet that market is seriously harmed if not gone in time. Our gov't is not going to pay 12 billion. For some reason we can not buy your soybeans and then ship to china. It does seem we can sell domestic harvest but the seaway will freeze up before we can get supplies in position. Don't ask me what or why the rules are this way. If we could then that would sell some beans in the export market. Doesn't really matter this yr as it rains and rains. Maybe less than 5% harvested in my neck of the woods. Seems like more beans than corn this yr by a tad.

Planting more acres and higher yields/acre seems like a no win situation.

Not so long ago 150 bu/acre was a very good yield for me.

When I started farming 100 bu was a good yield and drying cost was almost a non factor

Today we have bins, dryer, elevator style drive over grate unloading pit, semi trucks, grain buggy, 12 row heads, where does it stop. We bought a new ripper for fall tillage that cost more than I paid for this farm. Of course that meant we had to buy a bigger 4WD tractor.

Planning on spending $120,000 for tile. No end to this farming game but either keep up or get out.

Whoa back on the C02. We have enough grain

Comments
By metmike - Oct. 7, 2018, 10:23 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

Great post!

I hope you didn't mind having this post moved to the trading forum

By 7475 - Oct. 7, 2018, 10:35 p.m.
Like Reply

Wanye

Thats almost funny the way you indicated that " you farmers " are having a hard time keeping up with CO2 benefits on yields!

Carry On

Thats some farming operation you've got going there.

John

By silverspiker - Oct. 7, 2018, 11:22 p.m.
Like Reply

Cool....harvest gold....

By wglassfo - Oct. 7, 2018, 11:35 p.m.
Like Reply

When I look back and think about going broke when int rates went to 20% and the bank sold me out.

And then I read about homeless people and compare to what I did

Not bragging, I really think a person can do it if they want to

I am not extra smart or have a Ph'd

No silver spoon. 1st generation on this farm. I did grow up on a farm, but my father worked as a civil servant. I learned by trial and mostly mistakes.

In fact I have the least education in my family.

By rayjenkins - Oct. 8, 2018, 7:14 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne, what are your targets to start hedging 2019 corn production

congrats on your 2018 sales and production!

By mcfarm - Oct. 8, 2018, 9:04 p.m.
Like Reply

yes Wayne your sales for 2018 are a homerun.....wish you would of sold mine for me

By cfdr - Oct. 8, 2018, 10:05 p.m.
Like Reply

Our yields are disappointing.  I'm guessing around 180 overall - but we've only taken out about a third of it.  Too much water all summer here, and our heavy soils don't handle that much water well - especially with most of it planted late.  Poorest yields are on the best soils.  My friend in Chicago has extensive contacts, however, and he says that yields are overall really high.  Both corn and beans.

FWIW, of course.