Imagine if you could successfully swing trade the DOW for this last week..
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - Oct. 12, 2018, 3:45 p.m.

It's rare to see this level of volatility.  What a time to start writing options. They are truly priced to sell...

Comments
By joj - Oct. 12, 2018, 4:40 p.m.
Like Reply

True enough.  Unless this is 1987, or 2000, or 2008.  In which case you'll get a nice rap on the knuckles (or worse).

By TimNew - Oct. 12, 2018, 7:56 p.m.
Like Reply

No Kidding.  Would have been terrible times to write options...  Unless you were "SAJ" savvy..    Not sure you are one of the old timers.  Thinking not.  SAJ literally wrote the book on option strategy.. I have a copy of it that I review now and then.  I miss him.  The only trade I make anymore is a crack spread in energies that I learned from the MASTER (I.E. SAJ).  Closest thing to a guarantee you'll ever have in this business. It requires a perfect setup. It doesn't happen often.

Setting that aside..

In the years you mention,  I was a neophyte, relatively speaking, so I can't say for sure...  I watch a lot of funnys.  Every day.  And they are setting records...So assorted bull spreads would be good..    But I'll just stick with outrights..  

Caveat..  lost an s-load of money in the last week.   Made a good bit today,  It will likely take a month or two, if all goes well, to get back what I lost..  But 12/31/18 will show well on the balance sheet.  No where near as well as 12/31/17,  but a few here, a few there . Pretty soon your talking a lot of money  :-)

By silverspiker - Oct. 12, 2018, 8:30 p.m.
Like Reply

oh-boy-spanky-George-McFarland.gif

.... One week equals 1 year income

[​IMG]