Meeting in White House on trade
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by cfdr - Feb. 13, 2018, 6:54 p.m.

This was just posted - a transcript of a meeting Donald Trump had with members of both parties on trade.

I think it is well worth reading.

My comment on that site was that 

"Without good jobs – without a change so that we produce more of what we consume – nothing else works. Pensions, medicare, medicaid, social security, health care – nothing else works."

https://tinyurl.com/yck92bdk

Comments
By mcfarm - Feb. 13, 2018, 7:18 p.m.
Like Reply

seem to remember the former WH occupant with some sage comment like "those jobs ain't coming back" and then falsely trying to keep the fake economic numbers with fake "shovel ready jobs" and printing presses that never stopped

By MarkB - Feb. 14, 2018, 12:05 a.m.
Like Reply

In a sense, isolationism is not really a cure. At the same time, globalisation of the economy, will destroy the standard of living that recent generations have become accustomed to in the US. Balance is the law of nature. Are we exempt? History tells us that all empires eventually fall. And the people eventually go back to a more "primative" sort of living. Just to rise again.

By TimNew - Feb. 14, 2018, 3:26 a.m.
Like Reply

I think we've already agreed that without decent jobs,  the rest doesn't matter that much.

But you have to be careful with the methods...

If you penalize your competition through tariffs, etc., you'll drive up costs to the end user/consumer and that will ultimately hurt everyone.  If you try to keep old business in through taxes and/or regulations,  you'll mostly keep new business out.  And no one wins a trade war..

Instead of trying to make the competition less competitive, make the US more competitive. We're already doing that through deregulation and tax cuts.

And we're already seeing wage pressure.  Arguably the most significant in a decade or so. And watch job creation over the next few quarters.

Most of what we need from the government is already being done (Infrastructure is on the way I think).  The rest is up to us.