fact-checking-trumps-campaign-rallies
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by carlberky - Nov. 1, 2018, 5:23 p.m.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2018/nov/01/fact-checking-trumps-campaign-rallies-final-stretc/

"We passed a massive tax cut, biggest tax cut, for working families." Oct. 31, Fort Myers, Fla.

Trump repeated the false claim that the 2017 Republican tax plan was the biggest tax cut in U.S. history. There’s no question the tax bill was a significant piece of legislation. But even by estimates most favorable to the president, we found the  Trump tax cut is exceeded in size by other historical examples. In inflation-adjusted dollars, the recent tax bill is the  fourth-largest since 1940. As a percentage of GDP, it ranks seventh.

"Congress has never passed a law requiring birthright citizenship for illegal aliens, and the Constitution does not — I say  that to the media — does not require it — read it — because illegal aliens are not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States."  Oct. 31, Fort Myers, Fla.

Most legal scholars disagree. The question of whether Trump could undo the policy through executive order — which he’s claimed  he has the authority to do — would ultimately be for the Supreme Court to resolve. But the consensus view is that virtually  anyone born on U.S. soil has citizenship. The Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution says that "all persons born or naturalized  in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they  reside." One constitutional scholar told us this unquestionably covers the children of unauthorized migrants. Others cited prior  Supreme Court decisions interpreting the  Fourteenth Amendment as additional support for the view that birthright citizenship  can only be undone by amending the Constitution.

"Democrats want open borders." Oct. 31, Fort Myers, Fla.

This is wrong. We found no examples of Democratic candidates pushing for open borders. Some top Democratic lawmakers have called  for a restructuring of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency. A few other Democrats seem to want the agency shuttered.  Still, that’s a far cry from calling for immigrants to freely cross the border.

Comments
By mojo - Nov. 1, 2018, 6:48 p.m.
Like Reply

Trump is a proven pathological liar. The last count I heard was that he's told over 4500 lies since taking office. That was back in August, so the count is probably over 6 or 7 thousand lies by now. There's probably someone, somewhere keeping track of it. 

By silverspiker - Nov. 1, 2018, 8:34 p.m.
Like Reply

Image may contain: 1 person, meme and text

By silverspiker - Nov. 1, 2018, 8:38 p.m.
Like Reply

Image may contain: text

By TimNew - Nov. 2, 2018, 4:58 a.m.
Like Reply

I can debate each of these "Politifacts"..  

"We passed a massive tax cut, biggest tax cut, for working families." Oct. 31, Fort Myers, Fla."

If you include the corporate tax cut, this becomes the largest tax cut for working families.  You'll only understand why this is so if you understand that corporate taxes are, by and large, paid by the final consumer of the product/service provided which is largely... working families.

One question I have for "Politifact".  I have yet to see them "fact check" the oft heard claim of "Trumps tax cut for the rich" which a cursory glance shows to be completely "pants on fire" false unless of course, you expand  your definition of "the "rich" to include most/all tax payers.  Yet a day rarely passes that I don't hear it from some dem leader.  Maybe "Politifact" has actually doen this,  but I have not seen it.

"Congress has never passed a law requiring birthright citizenship for illegal aliens, and the Constitution does not — I say  that to the media — does not require it — read it — because illegal aliens are not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States."  Oct. 31, Fort Myers, Fla."

"Most legal scholars disagree".  And most legal scholars are quite liberal.  But, the 14th does clearly state that the parents must be subject to the jurisdiction of the US and it's pretty clear that if you are here illegally,  by definition,  you are not subject to US Jurisdiction.  That distinction is limited to citizens and legal immigrants. Whether an EO is appropriate or even legal is another question.

"Democrats want open borders." Oct. 31, Fort Myers, Fla.

There are plenty of quotes from democrats to support the idea that they are opposed to open borders, no argument.  But, if you believe actions speak louder than words, how then would you justify, among other things,  sanctuary cities/states?