China Trade Deal Rumors
18 responses | 0 likes
Started by joj - Nov. 2, 2018, 6:28 a.m.

Although I am opposed to almost everything Trump does, I think he is correct to take on China and their unfair trade practices.  I am a proponent of free trade, but China isn't interested in fairness.  They want to win.  Trump has been tough and unbending on China, but they in turn have been just as tough.  In an interview of an administration official about a month ago (was it Kudlow?) regarding China he said, "the ball is in their court".  Reading between the lines I took that to mean China isn't interested in taking the steps Trump expects them to take.

So overnight we hear Trump asking his cabinet to draft a possible deal with China and the market responds with a nice bid.  It seems obvious to me that Trump is attempting to goose the market right before the election in much the same way he ordered 15,000 troops to stop a caravan that is 1-2 months away, and proposing an executive order to eliminate the 14th amendment.   (election posturing)

First thing I would suggest is that China is not interested.  They are taking a long view of things and have no internal political pressure to compromise.  Also, after the elections on Tuesday, Trump will resume his hardline stance against China.  It is, and has been, one of his core beliefs for decades.

All things being equal, this is a rally to sell.  There will be no China deal anytime soon.  Of course, the UE number and the elections will have their effects too.

Comments
By silverspiker - Nov. 2, 2018, 7:10 a.m.
Like Reply

.... maybe he should nuke the mo-fo's...

surprise.... sabotage there long-time make love charlie bedmoves

By mcfarm - Nov. 2, 2018, 7:12 a.m.
Like Reply

so you are opposed to a to a strong economy, lower taxes, more growth, less regulations, more judges who do not legislate from the bench, protecting our boarders, making other countries step up at the UN and paying their own. My I wonder just what kind of country we would have when other than controlling his tweeting Trump has made more progress in these areas than a handful of out last few Presidents. But you like a country who protects free trade, that's it just free trade. In any other area we just let it all go to hell?

By silverspiker - Nov. 2, 2018, 7:27 a.m.
Like Reply

... deal or no deal...

Z-December WHEAT  Trades 5-32 today...  

By joj - Nov. 2, 2018, 8:08 a.m.
Like Reply

McFarm,

Your response is political and should be removed by the moderator.

By mcfarm - Nov. 2, 2018, 9:57 a.m.
Like Reply

I am pretty sure you started the thread with the comment so maybe joj he should remove yours.....you cannot lay something like that out there and then complain when called upon it

By joj - Nov. 2, 2018, 11:06 a.m.
Like Reply

95% of my post was trade related.

95% of your post was political.

So sorry to have offended you by saying I disagree with Trump (but complimented him on China).

By mcfarm - Nov. 2, 2018, 11:31 a.m.
Like Reply

not offended joj....just wonder...and you can respond below out of the trade related area....out of all the other success Trump has had what offends you about his success

By metmike - Nov. 2, 2018, 12:41 p.m.
Like Reply

joj,

You started this thread off nicely but YOU let your personal feelings about mcfarm get the best of you in the 2 posts below. He did nothing wrong..........you are attacking him.   

You are also wrong about your assessments below. I am not defending mcfarm as much as defending the fact that on this particular forum, when discussing China, it's inevitable that politics is a key element...........in your posts.........in mcfarms posts. 

The only 2 posts considered to be out of line here are the 2 below. I will leave them up so that it's crystal clear where I'm coming from.

Thank you for cooperating

metmike       

By joj - Nov. 2, 2018, 8:08 a.m.            

McFarm,

Your response is political and should be removed by the moderator.

By joj - Nov. 2, 2018, 11:06 a.m.            

95% of my post was trade related.

95% of your post was political.

So sorry to have offended you by saying I disagree with Trump (but complimented him on China).

By joj - Nov. 3, 2018, 8:09 a.m.
Like Reply

Lost in this thread is the fact that I was spot on for a trade idea (which I profited from):

"All things being equal, this is a rally to sell.  There will be no China deal anytime soon."

But never mind that.  Let's get mired in what's good and bad about Trump.

By TimNew - Nov. 3, 2018, 8:48 a.m.
Like Reply

MF is a microcosm of society.  Emotions on both sides are running high. When you start a post with "I disagree with almost everything Trump does",   you have pretty much opened a can of worms that almost assures that the TR thread will not remain TR.  The same would be true if I opened a thread with "Trump is the greatest president of my lifetime".  (Caveat: I don't actually believe that tho I give him high marks overall economically) . No  matter how valid the subsequent trade ideas may be,  they'd likely be lost in the ensuing discussion.

Not offering a yea or nay on anything other than, IMO, political editorial really does not belong in TR threads because of the near certainty that the TR content will be buried. Further, IMO,  your post could have stood on it's own without your "caveat".  You apparently felt a need to maintain your "street cred".

By mcfarm - Nov. 3, 2018, 9:56 a.m.
Like Reply

joj, do not know where you get your info but I get mine from Trump and his negotiators. They both claim productive talks and more substantial talks to follow later this month.....As far as "there will be no deal" at the present I would give at least 50/50and as the market is always right you might want to look to market action this week...they are trading more than 50/50

By metmike - Nov. 3, 2018, 10:29 a.m.
Like Reply

Excellent post/points Tim!

By joj - Nov. 4, 2018, 5:41 a.m.
Like Reply

mcfarm - I got my opinion about lack of a trade deal exclusively from Kudlow, Trump's chief economic strategist, who said a month ago, "The ball is in China's court."  He then said last week that there was no deal imminent.  Good luck taking your info from the mouth of Trump.

By mcfarm - Nov. 4, 2018, 6:34 a.m.
Like Reply

guess the only logical reply to that joj is the market and I both moved to the tune of 30, 9, and 6 cents on new china news... so far....if you did not move with you lost. Mock Trump all you want and when he is gone you figure out he puts America first.  Yes , that is such a sin in lib eyes.

By joj - Nov. 4, 2018, 8:26 a.m.
Like Reply

As I said before, I think Trump is correct on China.  Does THAT mean I'm not a "lib"?

What is 30, 9 and 6?

By mcfarm - Nov. 4, 2018, 11:14 a.m.
Like Reply

pretty sure I said that is the market move in beans since you mocked Trump 

By WxFollower - Nov. 4, 2018, 12:24 p.m.
Like Reply

Each time I see there’s a new post in this thread and I’m looking to see what the supposed latest US/China trade related developments are, I’m disappointed as all I see is political chatter.

By mcfarm - Nov. 4, 2018, 1:05 p.m.
Like Reply

President has been on the news every day this wx....and every single day he has said new talks are coming at the big conference in late Nov.....   its good to let the little chinamen sweat until then....love it when the President says "Nah, they are not ready yet"