Employment Situation +250K
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - Nov. 2, 2018, 9:20 a.m.

https://us.econoday.com/byshoweventfull.asp?fid=485661&cust=us&year=2018&lid=0&prev=/byweek.asp#top

246k private sector; +32k mfg; y/y earnings +3.1 over 2.8; participation rate +.2%

Very bullish.

This may be strong enough to spook the street on fed tightening.  They pay real close attention to wage pressure.

Comments
By joj - Nov. 5, 2018, 8:44 a.m.
Like Reply

Jobs created in the first 21 months of Trump's presidency and the final 21 months of Obama's presidency:

Trump 4,054,000

Obama 4,477,000

Kudos to Trump for keeping the Obama recovery going.  

By TimNew - Nov. 5, 2018, 9:43 a.m.
Like Reply

It's difficult to respond to this in a TR fashion, but...

Obama had a dubious advantage in that he inherited an economy in ruins. In all honesty,  I'd rather have inherited the economy Trump did than the one Obama got.  That being said...  With that as a starting point, significant improvement is almost a given.

It's not hard to improve unemployment when the numbers are in the basement.  They almost have to get better.  It's not hard to see improvement in GDP when it has been trashed.   But in spite of this,  Obama never had an annual GDP in excess of 3%.  The 1st president to ever oversee lackluster growth. He had several quarters in negative growth territory, in the midst of a recovery. Most of the remainder stayed in the 1-2% range.  Lackluster at best.  And when a stock market is pummeled to decade level lows, a significant increase is nearly a given.

When you inherit steady, though sluggish growth, and things like the GDP appear to accelerate, job growth with a shrinking available job pool continues at a similar pace,  and the stock market makes new record highs,  that's another matter.

It's still too soon to grade the economies performance under Trump,  but early indications are pretty positive in nearly every measure.

By joj - Nov. 5, 2018, 9:55 a.m.
Like Reply

My mistake.  I thought your original post was about jobs not GDP.

By TimNew - Nov. 5, 2018, 10:09 a.m.
Like Reply

I was replying to this.   

Kudos to Trump for keeping the Obama recovery going.  

By cfdr - Nov. 5, 2018, 10:13 a.m.
Like Reply

With all the high quality jobs created under the Obama administration, it's no wonder all those working class people left the Democratic Party and elected Donald Trump!

The election of Donald Trump did not happen in a vacuum.  Everything has a cause.  Obama was a major reason that Trump won the election.

Anyone who knows anything at all about what drives markets (and the economy) knows that it is investor confidence.  It appears that investors like President Trump's attitude and policies.  Also, never underestimate world money flows.  Donald Trump reversed a pattern that had been in place for a long time.