November 22, 2018, This day in history-Happy Thanksgiving
9 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Nov. 21, 2018, 8:24 p.m.

Pick a good one and have a terrific Thanksgiving!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_22

1963 – U.S. President John F. Kennedy is assassinated and Texas Governor John Connally is seriously wounded by Lee Harvey Oswald, who also killed Dallas Police officer J. D. Tippit after fleeing the scene. U.S Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson is sworn in as the 36th President of the United States afterwards.

Everybody my age or older remembers where they were on that day.

As a 7 year old, I was sick with Scarlet Fever and remember Dad taking me to the doctor, with the radio on in the car to listen to the news right after the shooting. At the doctors office, they had the radio on too.  It was mid afternoon then(Eastern Time). The reports initially were not certain what condition that President Kennedy was in as Americans prayed that he would be ok. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-KR9xwXqyk

Back then, there were only 3 major tv networks broadcasting(we had a 3 UHF stations in Detroit too-50-56-62).  ABC, NBC and CBS.

Home from school all week, I remember watching nothing but President Kennedy funeral stuff on the black and white  tv all day. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xks5L05oZhE

Comments
By carlberky - Nov. 21, 2018, 9:40 p.m.
Like Reply

1988 – In Palmdale, California, the first prototype B-2 Spirit stealth bomber is revealed.

Working for Lockheed (we did the Stealth "fighter"), I spent some time at Palmdale's plant 42. During the summer, the temperature was always  well above 100 ... compounded by miles of concrete.

By joj - Nov. 21, 2018, 9:43 p.m.
Like Reply

I was 6 y.o.  They let us out of school early that day.  That was how I kind of knew this was a big deal.

By metmike - Nov. 21, 2018, 11:16 p.m.
Like Reply

Great to have you as part of the "This day in history" team joj!

By pj - Nov. 22, 2018, 3:58 p.m.
Like Reply

I was fresh out of college, sitting at my desk at Rocketdyne working on the simulation program for the Atlas booster engine (the precursor of the simulation programs for the Apollo booster engines), when the announcement came over the PA.

By carlberky - Nov. 22, 2018, 4:27 p.m.
Like Reply

pj. when they were testing the engines, we'd hear it all over the valley. I worked then at Litton Guidance and Controls, just down the street on Canoga.

By pj - Nov. 22, 2018, 5:02 p.m.
Like Reply

I remember Litton being there. 

For a few months I worked up on "the hill" (in the Santa Susana Mts) where they the did the testing. Think some of that area got scorched by one of the recent fires. 

By cfdr - Nov. 23, 2018, 8:46 a.m.
Like Reply

I think that was the first shock to our complacency.

Then the Watts riots, the anti war riots, the Berkeley riots - and our world changed.

(Oversimplified  -  I know.)

By carlberky - Nov. 23, 2018, 9:38 a.m.
Like Reply

"Then the Watts riots, the anti war riots, the Berkeley riots - and our world changed."

cf, like the weather, the world is constantly changing.

I was born into a world populated by only two billion people. So many of the things we all take for granted now were just twinkles in the eyes of those with vision and the courage to dare. 

Again, like the weather, Not all change is good. I fear for the effect upon our World by the current generation. Will a sense of entitlement ... wanting a piece of the pie ... distort their thinking to the point of violence ?

I hope history proves me wrong.  

By cfdr - Nov. 23, 2018, 11:42 a.m.
Like Reply

Again, like the weather, Not all change is good. I fear for the effect upon our World by the current generation. Will a sense of entitlement ... wanting a piece of the pie ... distort their thinking to the point of violence ?

I am with you there, Carl.

My feeling, for a long long time, has been that I (and, I'm guessing, you) grew up in the very best time in history to have grown up.  Even with the choices we had.  Our parents grew up in a time where, if there was an opportunity, they jumped at it.  They didn't wait to see what other opportunities came along - they jumped at any opportunity.  Generations born after us, IMHO, maybe had too many choices, and a person might think that would be good, but I am doubtful that was an advantage.  I can see where that would cause more stress.  Many of the most recent generation are looking at less opportunity, and many are looking at far less opportunity.

I was born in 45.  I can't think of a better year to have been born in.  Unless I'm going to have lived just a little too long??