Bush 41 rest in peace
23 responses | 0 likes
Started by frey_1999 - Dec. 1, 2018, 12:12 a.m.

One of the most underrated president of my time.

Comments
By carlberky - Dec. 1, 2018, 6:31 a.m.
Like Reply

Politics aside, I had admiration (and jealousy) for the youngest naval pilot during WW2 who could parachute from a plane in his late eighties.

By mojo - Dec. 1, 2018, 8:56 a.m.
Like Reply

He was a great man.

By mojo - Dec. 1, 2018, 6:12 p.m.
Like Reply

"Compared to the republicans of today, George would by labeled a RINO. "

He was way too classy & intelligent to fit in with present day rethugs.

By pj - Dec. 2, 2018, 1:58 a.m.
Like Reply

The last president I voted for who I wanted to vote for.

By metmike - Dec. 2, 2018, 5:30 a.m.
Like Reply

we will have a tribute to bush later, including the time that he and dan rather had it out on live tv

By joj - Dec. 2, 2018, 9:01 a.m.
Like Reply

He is the only president I didn't vote for that I regretted my vote.  

Successful in his role as commander in chief during the '91 gulf war.

Sacrificed his political capital to lay the ground work for the 90s economic boom.

A lifetime of public service.  

RIP

By metmike - Dec. 2, 2018, 5:48 p.m.
Like Reply

Dan Rather and CBS set Bush up in 1988, regarding his role in the Iran contra deal  but it backfired badly on CBS.

CBS News Story that led to Bush-Rather Showdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWdThTtaZ-Q

Dan Rather - George Bush Showdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqwQw3THRvU

fallout from Dan Rather's interview of George H.W. Bush - 26 Jan 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCVB6iqfoIg

By metmike - Dec. 2, 2018, 5:53 p.m.
Like Reply

Many might remember that Bush was running for president and was made out to be a  "wimp" by the media  as Reagans VP.

Dan Rather, in particular disliked him

When Bush fired back at Rather and gave him responses with gusto, defending himself and attacking Rather, his image of being the "wimp" crumbled. 

They intended to make Bush look bad but it backfired and made Rather/CBS look bad. Bush 1 was no wimp.

By mcfarm - Dec. 2, 2018, 6:15 p.m.
Like Reply

imagine that! dan rather playing fast and loose with the facts when it comes to trying to ruin a good man's life....and he kept his job long enough to try the same crap with W. As I stated in an earlier post Cronkite and Rather and later Brian Williams, George steppy,and others all contributed mightily to the down fall of journalism in America and in fact its death as a once noble profession

By carlberky - Dec. 2, 2018, 6:33 p.m.
Like Reply

Come on, guys, this thread was intended to eulogize President Bush, not as a platform for politics as usual.

By TimNew - Dec. 2, 2018, 6:56 p.m.
Like Reply

The country owes him a debt on so many levels. He's back with Barbara where he belongs.  But a grateful nation mourns.. As well they should.

By metmike - Dec. 2, 2018, 7:47 p.m.
Like Reply

Sorry that I threw that encounter in but this is what I remember the most about him.........breaking out of having the wimp image  right then and this leading the way to him being elected.

And doing a wonderful job as our president.........no wimp tendencies what so ever. 

I actually worked for the local CBS affiliate here as chief meteorologist, so Dan Rather's actions and this encounter affected our station for a short while after that..........lots of people calling to complain.

Bush went on to beat Dukakis pretty handily in 1988. His running mate, Dan Quayle was from Indiana, so you can double forgive me for remembering this event. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_United_States_presidential_election

By metmike - Dec. 2, 2018, 7:49 p.m.
Like Reply
By carlberky - Dec. 2, 2018, 9:27 p.m.
Like Reply

11.3.1989Cold War: In a meeting off the coast of Malta, U.S. President George H. W. Bush and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev release statements indicating that the Cold War between NATO and the Soviet Union may be coming to an end.

By metmike - Dec. 3, 2018, 2:18 p.m.
Like Reply

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/03/672852640/george-h-w-bushs-service-dog-stays-by-his-casket

Former President George H.W. Bush's service dog lies in front of his casket in Houston on Sunday. The 41st president died Friday at the age of 94.    

Sully, a 2-year-old yellow Labrador retriever, is named after the pilot Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger III, who on Jan. 15, 2009, landed a passenger plane in the Hudson River after hitting a flock of geese. He was portrayed by Tom Hanks in a movie about the incident.

Sully became the late president's service dog in June, a couple of months after former first lady Barbara Bush died.

The yellow Lab was trained by America's VetDogs, which places service dogs and guide dogs with veterans, active-duty service members and first responders.

Bush had a form of Parkinson's disease that caused slow movements and difficulty balancing, among other symptoms. He frequently used a wheelchair toward the end of his life, and Sully provided assistance with daily life.

"Sully could open doors, pick up items and summon help," The Associated Press reported.

According to Sully's Instagram account, he also spent a lot of time frolicking on the beach and playing fetch.

By WxFollower - Dec. 3, 2018, 4:18 p.m.
Like Reply

No comparison can be made between the character/behavior of Trump and the much more dignified and respected Bush 41 imo. I can say the same thing about Reagan and just about any other Republican POTUS vs Trump.

By metmike - Dec. 3, 2018, 7:03 p.m.
Like Reply
By mcfarm - Dec. 3, 2018, 7:19 p.m.
Like Reply

thanks Mike...I am a total sucker for anything PETS..... pictures are great...what a friend that HW had

By metmike - Dec. 3, 2018, 7:19 p.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - Dec. 3, 2018, 7:22 p.m.
Like Reply

YW mcfarm,

Sully and his master had a great time together.

By WxFollower - Dec. 4, 2018, 1:40 a.m.
Like Reply

"Michelle Obama is cancelling her book tour stops in Paris and Berlin to attend President George H.W. Bush's funeral:" She's also a friend of GW Bush:

https://www.businessinsider.com/michelle-obama-attending-george-bush-funeral-canceling-book-tour-dates-2018-12