The Stock Mkt Thinks Trump is a Liar
7 responses | 0 likes
Started by joj - Dec. 4, 2018, 3:32 p.m.

How did I miss that?

Comments
By WxFollower - Dec. 4, 2018, 3:41 p.m.
Like Reply

https://www.masslive.com/business-news/index.ssf/2018/12/dow_slides_700_points_as_us_stocks_veer.html

"The sharp turn in the markets followed a strong rally on Monday fueled by optimism over the news that President Donald Trump and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping had agreed at the G-20 summit over the weekend to a temporary, 90-day stand-down in the two nations' escalating trade dispute.

But the market's optimism faded Tuesday amid published reports questioning the scant details out of the Trump-Xi talks and growing skepticism that Beijing will yield to U.S. demands anytime soon.

"'The actual amount of concrete progress made at this meeting appears to have been quite limited," Alec Phillips and other economists at Goldman Sachs wrote in a research note.

Delwiche echoed those doubts.

'The sense is that there's less and less agreement between the two sides about what actually took place,' Delwiche said. 'There was a rally in the expectation that something had happened, the problem is that something turned out to be nothing.'"

I don't know about thinking he's an outright liar but not being able to trust his words would be a fair assessment imo due to his tendency to lie or exaggerate. It is his own doing.  

By Jim_M - Dec. 4, 2018, 3:42 p.m.
Like Reply

But the bean traders don't.  Figure that one out.  

By joj - Dec. 4, 2018, 4:58 p.m.
Like Reply

I did notice that beans held up well.  Trump taking care of his loyal base.  Perhaps China will buy the beans?  

By cliff-e - Dec. 4, 2018, 5:14 p.m.
Like Reply

Existing tariffs are causing irreversible damage but no mention of rescinding them. If Psycho Don the Con imposes more tariffs then look out below.

People still gotta eat but they don't need to buy planes,trains,automobiles, 'puter chips, dozers etc. The Chinese are getting US grown grain but thru different channels and the market is coming to realize this.

By metmike - Dec. 4, 2018, 6:57 p.m.
Like Reply

joj,

A separate forum was made for political and other stuff, so your post was moved to the NTR forum. 

Please follow protocol on that.

By joj - Dec. 5, 2018, 5:28 a.m.
Like Reply

Message received

By TimNew - Dec. 5, 2018, 6:44 a.m.
Like Reply

Monday started out over bought.  Tuesday was over sold. As I said, equities are subject to the whims of Trump and it will be a swing traders dream come true.  

The underlying economy remains strong and over the long term, equities will reflect that..  But I will admit that I slept better Monday night than I did Tuesday night.