Bashing is a two way street ...
12 responses | 0 likes
Started by carlberky - Dec. 13, 2018, 6:02 p.m.

"There is one side doing all of this ... "

Mike, I'm not asking for fair and balanced ... just an acknowledgement that "bashing" at the Forum is a two way street. To prove my point just look at some of the responses to any post that criticizes Trump. Gunter and I are friendly, but his threads should be counted in the other column. (Of course, he and I do it in a nice way.) And of course any post that talks Deep State. 

You counted Mojo's threads ( several of which had no response ), which are mostly cut and paste (and his unflattering pictures of Trump). These are published articles and op-eds, admittedly in an effort to discredit Trump. I do the same thing. If you want to call that bashing, so be it. I am just  as "guilty" as mojo (whose real bashing usually comes as a response), but please don't say that "one side is doing all this".

Comments
By metmike - Dec. 13, 2018, 7:02 p.m.
Like Reply

"There is one side doing all of this ... "

I am just  as "guilty" as mojo (whose real bashing usually comes as a response), but please don't say that "one side is doing all this".

Carl,

You're a wonderful person and asset here so I will assume that your mischaracterizing my position above was unintentional because you are being defensive.  It looks like you have a quote above, which I don't remember stating and can't find and if I did, its out of context because that's not my position and you should know that by reading my posts:

This is an actual quote from earlier today:

"The right responds and starts their own one sided threads too"

The back and forth between the 2 political sides has always existed. However, since Donald Trump was elected, the attacks from one side directed at Trump dwarf anything ever seen before in American history.

Rather than just base that on my opinion, that's why I looked objectively at all the threads started here in the last 5 days.

Taking you and me out, 58% of the threads were started as Trump bashing threads.

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/19395/

So how many threads were started by the other side with a view that would be considered bashing of a person that has political views the opposite of them similar to the Trump bashing?

I could only find one, that meets that description,  featuring this link:

"Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez mocked for linking racism to climate change"

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-mocked-linking-racism-climate-change-185704625.html

This would be 4% of the 24 threads not made by you or me.

Do know that there is more than just the first post in a thread to consider and we have several here, that are very one sided on the right............and I've had to warn them in exchanges, one of them in the manner in which they responded to you recently, as you must remember. I am well aware of bias from the other side too Carl.

So you should already be well aware of my position as moderator to treat both sides the same way in discussions.

This topic of the excessive bashing of Trump, only came up because it caused me to make a big mistake in assuming that our King of Trump bashing had sent a link like his previous 50 links.......intended to bash Trump when, in actuality, it was a wonderful  anti bashing article, in pleading for both sides to work together.

If mojo has experienced an epiphany this week and this is now what he thinks then I very much look forward to more articles like this from him.

" Rump is reaching new heights of self-delusion"            

Started by mojo - Dec. 13, 2018, 9:15 a.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/19537/

OK, maybe not (-:

But I will be more careful to read the entire contents of links before stating an opinion.

By mojo - Dec. 13, 2018, 7:13 p.m.
Like Reply

"The back and forth between the 2 political sides has always existed. However, since Donald Trump was elected, the attacks from one side directed at Trump dwarf anything ever seen before in American history."

That should tell you something about The Rump. hint hint- wink wink- nod nod

By mcfarm - Dec. 13, 2018, 7:37 p.m.
Like Reply

you guys on the left may not appreciate this but what it should tell you, us and them is that if anybody ever from outside the establishment ever threatens the status quo in DC they will be ruined. Totally ruined financially, socially, assassinated in every way except but maybe the last way possible...and some days I do not think that is out of bounds when the swamp tries to protect its private play ground

By metmike - Dec. 13, 2018, 8:01 p.m.
Like Reply

mojo,

It tells me much more about those attacking.

I won't go into my personal views because of being moderator. However, you should know that in many realms, the reality is not completely black or white..........especially in politics, where both sides must come together, sometimes in shades of grey to be successful.

The wonderful article that you posted a few days ago was pretty clear on that.

However, you have painted President Trump in the blackest of all possible black shades and have no ability to see anything except a guy that you think is in Hitlers league.

Never mind the strongest economy in a decade and the US being #1 in the world again. He saved us from the horrible/fraudulent Climate Accord agreement/pledges. Wants border security and legal immigration for? What do you think mojo? Why would a president want those thing?(Obama and B.Clinton did too). Has a tough  tariff strategy with China for? Why would he want this mojo? Why would a president try to renegotiate bad trade deals with many countries? and has already done so successfully with several of them.

But that's just a tiny fraction:

Trump’s list: 289 accomplishments in just 20 months, ‘relentless’ promise-keeping

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/trumps-list-289-accomplishments-in-just-20-months-relentless-promise-keeping

It must be a shock for you to realize that President Trump has accomplished so much..........despite sustained efforts to block his agenda and completely discredit him by one side.

You have a right to your opinion of course and I'm not denying you the ability to post what you want here. However, as shown earlier, your side and Trump bashing posts are the dominant dynamic here, over representing one side,  so I have felt an obligation to inject some objective reality into the discussion...............some white(not race) from the other side to go with your pitch black dark. 

The link above is an attempt to do that. 

By WxFollower - Dec. 13, 2018, 10:14 p.m.
Like Reply

Here’s my take: Trump is the most bashed POTUS ever although a lot of it is his own fault for being such a jackass/juvenile name caller. However, some of it is probably based on anti-white bigotry (white privilege BS, which is racism). The 2nd most bashed is Obama, but less of it was his fault as he wasn’t a jackass/juvenile and a good portion was likely due to racism. GW Bush was 3rd most bashed followed by Clinton.

By carlberky - Dec. 13, 2018, 10:15 p.m.
Like Reply

Mike, here's the complete paragraph taken from the "44 ex-senators ..." thread.

"We are sort of a microcosm of the world outside of here in many ways. There is one side doing all of it ............… which, as I just proved, swamps everything else."

Just counting the number of threads by posters doesn't prove anything because that makes an assumption of the contents. Several of  mojo's 10 threads didn't even get a response. He is mainly guilty of cutting and pasting, and responding to comments by the right.

By the way, would quoting fact-checkers or MSM articles be considered bashing ?

By TimNew - Dec. 14, 2018, 3:34 a.m.
Like Reply

WX,  note that you named the last 4 presidents, in chronological order that coincides with your ranking.

Can we draw any conclusions from this?

By WxFollower - Dec. 14, 2018, 5:45 p.m.
Like Reply

Tim,

Internet in general for last 4 potus and social media last 2 fuel the flames even more.

By TimNew - Dec. 14, 2018, 7:51 p.m.
Like Reply

Advance to the head of the class :-) Bonus points if you note a difference in media coverage.

By metmike - Dec. 14, 2018, 9:48 p.m.
Like Reply

"We are sort of a microcosm of the world outside of here in many ways. There is one side doing all of it ............… which, as I just proved, swamps everything else."

Just counting the number of threads by posters doesn't prove anything because that makes an assumption of the contents. Several of  mojo's 10 threads didn't even get a response. He is mainly guilty of cutting and pasting, and responding to comments by the right.

By the way, would quoting fact-checkers or MSM articles be considered bashing ?"

Carl,

I appreciate you finding that quote for me. I type alot and often makes mistakes.......typo's, grammer, spelling and the way I phrase it. So when I read it the first time..........which is right after posting it, I will usually make quick corrections, then let the post stand for good.

Some stuff slips by. If its more than a few minutes later and has to do with being honest or not, then I let the mistake stay there. 

In the case above, if I'd proof read it, I would have changed one word to make it "There is one side doing most of it" which is consistent with everything else I've ever stated. 

Obviously I will let it stay there but make the correction at the bottom.

Whether mojo's threads get a response or not doesn't make a difference and the fact that they came from cutting and pasting stuff from Trump bashing sites, at least to me makes it more of a Trump bashing post vs putting some reasoned thought into statements that represent more than that.

Anyway, I am just giving you my opinion based on observations here. You should know that there is nobody that comes close to spending the time that I do contemplating the intent/meaning of posts/threads as I consider this an obligation as moderator and to trying to understand the dynamics of our situation and the relationships we have with each other and how we communicate thoughts about the world. 

There is no scientific method to discerning an authentic bash vs what might not quite fulfill the criteria of a bash(there will be varying opinions and I respect that). This was just an exercise for me to show you, as an objective scientist, how I view what we refer to as Trump bashing here.

I understand if you disagree with the specific method but I am not insisting that this is THE method for identifying a bash of somebody and there is no clear definition that could be applied universally and agreed upon by everybody.

I'll cut the number in half if it makes you happy(which is more important to me than being right). Even with that, the point that Trump bashing is completely out of control and dwarfs anything like it in history(especially me as moderator here-these recent posts are a small example), is still a solid one. 

Again, this started because I made a mistake in assuming that one of mojo's cut and paste links that you mentioned. along with the unflattering picture of Trump in shock, were just like all his other posts. Whether you want to call them Trump bashing or not makes no difference to me.

Turns out that mojo's article was a good one, so I quickly apologized and provided my positive commentary. 

If that's not good enough for you, I'm sincerely sorry that I can't do better. My objective is to keep guys like you happy. This forum needs guys like you and I consider all your concerns seriously.............note the number of responses and length of them to you on this issue.

By metmike - Dec. 14, 2018, 10:27 p.m.
Like Reply

So I made the following change in the previous post after Carl found it for me:

"We are sort of a microcosm of the world outside of here in many ways. There is one side doing all(edit-change all to MOST) of this...............which, as I just proved, swamps everything else. The right responds and starts their own one sided threads too"

Carl,

Did you not notice the sentence above(The right responds and starts their own one sided threads too) immediately following the one that you cut and pasted above in that same post?

I will do my best to communicate ideas honestly but will sometimes use the wrong word(s).........but am happy to clarify and correct when astute readers/posters notice a problem. 

By carlberky - Dec. 15, 2018, 4:51 a.m.
Like Reply

Mike, thank you for your response. Can we just say that we agree to disagree on a definition of bashing ?