An uncomfortable look at the US
10 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - Dec. 14, 2018, 9:13 p.m.

We may not like what this man has to say.... however, some of his points are obvious. Let me hear your comments....

https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2018/12/11/washington-is-changing-the-world-order-against-its-own-interests/

The US needed a non-politician to break the old patterns... and Trump seemed to fill the requirements (under Hillary, we would already be in WW3, IMHO)

However, the vast cost of our military industrial complex is something we really can't afford. Don't know how this issue can be solved

Comments
By 7475 - Dec. 14, 2018, 10:14 p.m.
Like Reply

Ya know,Gunter,most of what that article says probably has merit in one form or another.

Nothing lasts forever. The future world belongs to the youth. I dont have a clue how to fix things nor the energy.

I've done my time,I've paid my debt to society-I'm tired of saving the world. It's gotten me very little except peace of mind knowing I've tried and contributed.

I'll continue out of habit and conscience but the results either way wont keep me awake much. I'm most likely on the back nine anyway.

Buck-up youngsters and make this place what you will!

John

By carlberky - Dec. 15, 2018, 6:53 a.m.
Like Reply

What a dire picture Roberts paints and while I can't even try to refute it, I'm sure others will try. Here comes economic statistics and "we have the #1 economy and ... ".

By joj - Dec. 15, 2018, 7:02 a.m.
Like Reply

How do you find all this "stuff"?

By wglassfo - Dec. 15, 2018, 11:34 a.m.
Like Reply

Some things to think about

One thing that would help a lot is to stop poking the bear

Nobody and I mean nobody will win a war with Russia Now you have to understand something

Russia does not want to start a war or acquire more land

They have too much land mass already and not enough population for their land mass. Their main concern is to protect the motherland

Crimea was seen more for the access to a warm water port than land , which they had in the past

Trade wars do not win

I have posted many times about SWIFT and no response The reserve dollar will suffer a loss of confidence

Why are you still in Afganastan??? and why did you go in the 1st place. Those trillions of dollars spent in SA if done properly would have solved most of the border problems. Why do you keep on beating on Venezuala when they are already beaten. Shades of the school yard bully

Why did you televise "Shock and AWE"

Many people died a horrible death and you treated it like a nite time sit com show. How many of you watched that nite?? and rejoiced in the knowledge of americian military power. How many remembered that was a tin pot little country. The last two times you came up against real military power you lost [Korea and Vietnam]

There are maybe 1.5 B muslims in the world

How many had a bomb dropped on their house and killed the family. How many swore revenge and want to kill the infidel How many were just trying to feed the family until there was no family

Somebody posted the world was trying to do without the USA for 50 yrs Well the world is slowly working on that problem and actually doing stuff that will severe the cord. Canada is joined at the hip with you folks and we have learned to live together.  Your leader and our leader is making that a problem that should never exist.

America does not walk on water

The world does not care if you have a GDP of 2%

As long as you keep buying cheap stuff, people will sell you cheap stuff. So long as you want your neighbours to think you are rich, Germany will sell you BMW

You  still have the time required to turn this ship around and have a great country

By mojo - Dec. 15, 2018, 12:13 p.m.
Like Reply

wglassfo, you hit the nail right on the head with that post. You are a very astute observer.

By mcfarm - Dec. 15, 2018, 12:59 p.m.
Like Reply

wayne 1 thing is for certain. You do negotiate with Russia or china from apposition of power...period...otherwise you end up speaking Russian or chinese

By TimNew - Dec. 15, 2018, 2:18 p.m.
Like Reply

The fact remains, and will remain for the foreseeable future, that when the US sneezes, the world gets pneumonia. That fact really doesn't care about how you feel about it.

By carlberky - Dec. 15, 2018, 6:15 p.m.
Like Reply

"The fact remains, and will remain for the foreseeable future, that when the US sneezes, the world gets pneumonia."

Tim, that's a cute opinion, but it's not a fact. IMHO, in the foreseeable future,  when the US sneezes, we'll be lucky to get a " God bless you ".

By TimNew - Dec. 15, 2018, 8:22 p.m.
Like Reply

Sorry Carl.  Facts are not subjective.  They are not subject to "feelings".  They are simply facts. The US remains the driving force in the worlds economy.  It certainly can change, but there is no indication that it will in the next few months, years...

By carlberky - Dec. 15, 2018, 9:21 p.m.
Like Reply

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/fact.html

Event, item of information, or state of affairs existing, observed, or known to have happened, and which is confirmed or validated to such an extent that it is considered 'reality.