Gop meeting
19 responses | 0 likes
Started by mojo - Dec. 17, 2018, 7:33 a.m.

Comments
By carlberky - Dec. 17, 2018, 1:10 p.m.
Like Reply

Good one, mojo. Not one Trump bash … just bashing his enablers.

By metmike - Dec. 17, 2018, 4:07 p.m.
Like Reply

Actually Carl, I consider this one to be more offensive than usual using a reference to pedephelia and prayer.

As usual its a  mean spirited attack but has spread the hate out a bit...........in a more personal way.

I can appreciate harmless humor bashing Trump over silly things but when you start suggesting that people support a child molester and that their prayer is hypocritical or its being mocked in this way,  you step over the line. 

Rather than delete it, I will keep it up the way it is with my comments, so that similar posts don't follow.

By WxFollower - Dec. 17, 2018, 4:10 p.m.
Like Reply

I agree with Mike. Why is there a reference to pedophilia in the joke?

By carlberky - Dec. 17, 2018, 6:18 p.m.
Like Reply

Humor is subjective. I guess it depends on the subject.

As a former cartoonist, I appreciate all the cartoons shown here.

By metmike - Dec. 17, 2018, 7:31 p.m.
Like Reply
"Humor is subjective. I guess it depends on the subject.

As a former cartoonist, I appreciate all the cartoons shown here."

Carl,

You're right, humor is very subjective. This is exactly why it can be greatly offensive to some people.

Many blacks would be greatly offended by racial jokes told by a white person, especially using the N word. No doubt that white supremacists would find it hilarious.

Many jews would be greatly offended by jokes about the holocaust.

Those are no brainer offensive jokes to most people.

With this particular cartoon, a person of religious faith should be just as offended as the groups mentioned above with jokes that target them.  

With regards to bringing in pedophilia, this is a tip off of it intending to maximize a hateful point vs being funny. Society considers child molesting to be the worst crime..........harming innocent children. 

As a chess coach for almost 3,000 children the past 25 years, this moderator is not going to have jokes that mention pedophiles on MarketForum. 

Discussions about religion(from different viewpoints)  or what the punishment should be for the crime of child molestation are welcome here, however. 

By carlberky - Dec. 17, 2018, 10:34 p.m.
Like Reply

Mike, I don't view the cartoon as an attack on religion, but rather on the hypocrites at the table. 

As for the pedoifie reference, I'll have to let mojo answer that one. 

By frey_1999 - Dec. 18, 2018, 12:47 a.m.
Like Reply

The latest SCOTUS justice 

What is lost on many is that cartoons are not always ment to be funny

By TimNew - Dec. 18, 2018, 9:31 a.m.
Like Reply

WTF?   Are you adding another unsubstantiated allegation. apparently based entirely on your imagination, that Kavanaugh is a pedophile?

By mcfarm - Dec. 18, 2018, 9:46 a.m.
Like Reply

of course Tim especially if said nominee just happened to be a white conservative Christian...that makes every single foul joke just so much more humorous

By mojo - Dec. 18, 2018, 2:22 p.m.
Like Reply

" Why is there a reference to pedophilia in the joke?"

It's probably a reference to Roy Moore.

By frey_1999 - Dec. 18, 2018, 3:27 p.m.
Like Reply

I was just answering a question that was asked, and since 2 of his accusers were minors and he was an adult when they say the forced sexual assault happened, if there allocations are believed by somebody, that by definition would make him a pedophile in their view.

I fully understand that you don't see it that way but if they had a recording of it happening you would not believe it. which is your right and since it will never go to trial the answer will never be truly known.

which is probably at this point the way it should stand.   

I doubt it is about Roy Moore since he lost and was never sworn in.

By WxFollower - Dec. 18, 2018, 5:34 p.m.
Like Reply

Frey,

Kavanaugh was not an adult when the alleged Ford assault occurred. What am I missing?

By carlberky - Dec. 18, 2018, 6:26 p.m.
Like Reply

If a 16 year old boy has sex with his 15 year old girlfriend, he could be charged with sex with a minor. Calling him a pedophile would be technically wrong and would be quite a stretch.

Edited and corrected due to wxfollower's next  post.  

By WxFollower - Dec. 18, 2018, 6:44 p.m.
Like Reply

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedophilia

"Pedophilia (alternatively spelled paedophilia) is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children.[1][2] Although girls typically begin the process of puberty at age 10 or 11, and boys at age 11 or 12,[3] criteria for pedophilia extend the cut-off point for prepubescence to age 13.[4] A person who is diagnosed with pedophilia must be at least 16 years old, and at least five years older than the prepubescent child, for the attraction to be diagnosed as pedophilia."

Based on this, IF Kavanaugh actually did what he was alleged to have done to Ford, it would be a VERY bad thing but not indicative of pedophilia, even technically. Not all sexual acts with minors are in the ped. category. This would be one such example.

OTOH, what Roy Moore did is a different story.

By metmike - Dec. 18, 2018, 9:15 p.m.
Like Reply

Larry,

Thanks for clearing up the misunderstandings of others here on what a pedophile is by using the accepted medical/psychiatric/scientific definition.

Can't argue with that.

Too bad political disputes can't be settled the same way (-:

By metmike - Dec. 18, 2018, 9:33 p.m.
Like Reply

"Mike, I don't view the cartoon as an attack on religion, but rather on the hypocrites at the table."

I  know that you don't carl but you also find it humorous. I'm not attacking your sense of humor, mine is more aligned with 3 Stooges or Monty Python stuff, so I'm not one to judge.

But I DO see it as as being viewed as an attack on religion in an unacceptable way.

If prayer was not the last part of the joke, it wouldn't even be a joke for those that think its funny. I can appreciate the joke too...........as well as it offending some.

I might also think some jokes about the holocast and using the N word are funny...........but at the same time offensive because they lack respect for people of color or jews. 

And a person that tells the joke is insensitive to others that are not like them.

Interestingly, in today's society, its A-OK for a black man to tell racial jokes using the N word and for Jews to tell Jew jokes but its not OK for white or non Jews to tell the same joke.

By WxFollower - Dec. 18, 2018, 9:40 p.m.
Like Reply

It has been accepted for rap songs to include “N”. Is this a good idea? I realize they’re making fun of racism but I’d rather not hear anyone say it publicly tbh because it is best to not even hear that disgusting word in public, especially because of how it could affect kids.

By metmike - Dec. 18, 2018, 10:27 p.m.
Like Reply

Though I'm sensitive to others that might be offended by the N word, I have always thought that it's kind of absurd, how certain words in our language, just by saying them can cause tremendous hurt.......that one the most hurt.

Sticks and Stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me!

My son in law is black and if he hears somebody using the N word, he just laughs because he knows they're ignorant.

His Dad grew up in a different generation in Chicago. Hearing a white person use the N word will raise his blood pressure by 20 points!

I am thinking that with time, that word and the racism that is associated with it, which is why its so hurtful, will continue to have less and less significance. 

It was really going that way strongly for around 50 years, until around a decade ago, then things seem to have gone backward a bit. 

By carlberky - Dec. 19, 2018, 6:42 a.m.
Like Reply

In the early 50's, I had witnessed examples of racial intolerance while stationed in the south, and I would find it hard to be amused by demeaning racial jokes. 

I agree that humor can be offensive to some people. A derogatory Jewish joke by Don Rickles would have gotten t a smile from me, but if told by a non-Jew would certainly get a different reaction.