Asylum in the United States
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by carlberky - Dec. 26, 2018, 10:53 a.m.

https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/asylum-united-states

"Asylum is a protection granted to foreign nationals already in the United States or at the border who meet the international law definition of a "refugee." The United Nations 1951 Convention and 1967 Protocol define a refugee as a person who is unable or unwilling to return to his or her home country, and cannot obtain protection in that country, due to past persecution or a well-founded fear of being persecuted in the future "on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion." Congress incorporated this definition into U.S. immigration law in the Refugee Act of 1980."

Lack of employment opportunities doesn't seem to be a requirement.

Comments
By GunterK - Dec. 26, 2018, 11:26 a.m.
Like Reply

right!.... that's why this new wave of immigrants (the "caravan") have been taught to say the right buzz words..."I fear for my life in my home country"

I remember one woman from El Salvador saying that her boyfriend (with whom she had a child) was beating her regularly... I don't believe she made it.

By carlberky - Dec. 26, 2018, 2:06 p.m.
Like Reply

… immigrants (the "caravan") have been taught to say the right buzz words..."I fear for my life in my home country"

The buzz words are not enough. He still has to point to a catogory for which he fears for his life: race, religion
 nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.

By TimNew - Dec. 26, 2018, 6:24 p.m.
Like Reply
By TimNew - Dec. 26, 2018, 6:24 p.m.
Like Reply