Employment Situation +312k
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - Jan. 4, 2019, 9:11 a.m.

Dow futures top 300k in the wake.

U3 up to 3.9% from 3.7 as a record number of people reenter the work force.  Avg Earnings +.4%. 

MFG Jobs + 32K.

Assuming Mr. Powell does not sound too Hawkish later this morning, it should be a good day for equities. 

https://us.econoday.com/byshoweventfull.asp?fid=498792&cust=us&year=2019&lid=0&prev=/byweek.asp#top

Comments
By TimNew - Jan. 4, 2019, 10:25 a.m.
Like Reply

And Powell is talking up both the US and the Chinese economy while showing little concern over inflation.

By pj - Jan. 4, 2019, 8:54 p.m.
Like Reply

For once good (economic) news was good news for the market.

By TimNew - Jan. 5, 2019, 7:39 a.m.
Like Reply

The market is nervous about the fed. A report like this can be an argument for more aggressive monetary policy. When Powell maintained a dovish position, (which the market was hoping for/expecting), things really took off.

7 rate hikes in 2 years has been pretty aggressive. 

If we can just get this dayum trade war resolved, stocks will get back to where I think they should be..  Somewhere between here and where they were <G>.  We hit a dow 27k too quick.

By wglassfo - Jan. 5, 2019, 11:55 a.m.
Like Reply

Where do you think the Dow should be

Don't you think 27 is a bit much with earnings probably coming out on the low side

By TimNew - Jan. 5, 2019, 2:02 p.m.
Like Reply

As I said,  we got to 27 too quickly. We'll get there again,   but very likely not this year.  Also,  I don't expect earnings to come out on the low side,  but I'd be interested in hearing why you do.