2018......first year with no violent tornadoes
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Jan. 8, 2019, 2:22 a.m.

From a story on December 27 from Watts Up With That:

2018 will be(was) the first year with no violent tornadoes in the United States

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/12/27/2018-will-be-the-first-year-with-no-violent-tornadoes-in-the-united-states/

"We’re now days away from this becoming the first year in the modern record with no violent tornadoes touching down in the United States. Violent tornadoes are the strongest on a 0 to 5 scale, or those ranked EF4 or EF5."

They result in 95% of twister fatalities.

"It was a quiet year for tornadoes overall, with below normal numbers most months. Unless you’re a storm chaser, this is not bad news. The low tornado count is undoubtedly a big part of the reason the 10 tornado deaths in 2018 is also vying to be a record low."

"In simple terms, there have been down-trends in violent tornado numbers both across the entire modern period, and when looking at just the period since Doppler radar was fully implemented across the country in the mid-1990s. A 15-year average as high as 13.7 in the mid-1970s(during global cooling) will drop to 5.9 next year."

metmike: How many major media outlets covered this as a story about climate change?(its been a strong trend for 40 years which qualifies as a climate pattern vs just weather in a year or two)

Answer: None that I could find.

As mentioned many times, the weather/climate for life on this planet over the last 40 years has been the best in a millenium, when it was last this warm during the Medieval Warm Period. 

Comments
By carlberky - Jan. 8, 2019, 12:37 p.m.
Like Reply

In a tweet, President Trump takes credit  for 2018 being the first year with no violent tornadoes in the United States, thus fulfilling another campaign promise.

(Sorry, Mike, I could not resist.)

satire

By metmike - Jan. 8, 2019, 12:43 p.m.
Like Reply

Don't be sorry carl. It was funny and sounds like Trump. 

He has the 100% correct positions on man made climate change and the fraudulent Climate Accord but when he opens his mouth to talk about it, I cringe.

By TimNew - Jan. 8, 2019, 2:50 p.m.
Like Reply

I suggest when misattributing Trump, we add some sort of disclaimer, because, quite frankly,  after 2 years in office and a year or so campaigning,  no statement seems beyond belief.

By carlberky - Jan. 8, 2019, 3:57 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks, Tim, we already have one. I'll edit the post.