Sun spots
1 response | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Jan. 8, 2019, 3:08 p.m.

Does anybody think the lack of sunspots may influence our weather

I read an article that was convinced the lack of sun spots would lead to a mini ice age

I am no expert so I ask although I am not sure anybody really knows

As far north as we are we may have to grow hay and pasture to survive the possible summer frosts. This has happened in some places in yrs past

My family hates animals so I don't know what they will do. Maybe grow hay and sell it

Comments
Re: Sun spots
0 likes
By metmike - Jan. 8, 2019, 7:17 p.m.
Like Reply

I wouldn't worry too much about a mini ice age Wayne.

The increase in CO2 and resulting beneficial greenhouse gas warming that has resulted is probably acting to insulate/protect the planet from such an event. 

While nobody knows for sure how much of the recent warming was from the increase in CO2 and how much from the Grand Solar Maximum/natural(from the most active sun in a very long time), it's very likely that at least half of it was from the beneficial CO2. 

Even though the warming has slowed down a bit, there are no powerful indications that this will eventually lead to cooling. 

And even if it did, the oceans which have stored 1,000 times the amount of heat in them as the atmosphere, have enough stored heat to slow any future cooling(if it would come from a less active sun) so that you and me will be long dead before anything close to a mini ice age hits.