Texas land owners dig in to fight Trump's border wall
14 responses | 0 likes
Started by mojo - Jan. 10, 2019, 6:54 a.m.

HIDALGO, Texas  — As President Donald Trump travels to the border in Texas to make the case for his $5.7 billion wall, landowner Eloisa Cavazos says she knows firsthand how the project will play out if the White House gets its way.

The federal government has started surveying land along the border in Texas and announced plans to start construction next month. Rather than surrender their land, some property owners are digging in, vowing to reject buyout offers and preparing to fight the administration in court.

"You could give me a trillion dollars and I wouldn't take it," said Cavazos, whose land sits along the Rio Grande, the river separating the U.S. and Mexico in Texas. "It's not about money."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas-landowners-prepare-wall-fight-trump-to-visit-border/ar-BBS2ebj?ocid=spartandhp

Comments
By TimNew - Jan. 10, 2019, 7:07 a.m.
Like Reply

You would think an article using "Landowners" in the headline would refer to more than one 64 acre landowner.  64 acres barely qualifies as a front lawn in that part of the country.

By mojo - Jan. 10, 2019, 7:15 a.m.
Like Reply

Do you think that they'll be the only landowners to resist? Don't mess with Texas.

This thing could get real ugly.

By TimNew - Jan. 10, 2019, 7:41 a.m.
Like Reply

Appears they were the only ones the article featured.  Surely, the author would have used a better example if they were so readily available.

I can see it now.

Reporter: "You have a big spread along the Rio Grande.  I bet you are opposed to this wall, Huh?"

Landowner: "Get the hell off my land".  

By mojo - Jan. 10, 2019, 8:25 a.m.
Like Reply

Southern Texas has more anti-govt. militias than any other place in the country, & they are armed to the teeth & well organized.  Watch & see what happens if/when Trump sends people down there to confiscate their lands.

Cook some popcorn & watch the show.

By metmike - Jan. 10, 2019, 9:55 a.m.
Like Reply

And this sentence in the article tells us exactly why a border wall is needed..........along with other measures...........thanks mojo!

"More than 23,000 parents and children were caught illegally crossing the border in the Rio Grande Valley in November — more than triple the number from a year earlier."

By GunterK - Jan. 10, 2019, 10:44 a.m.
Like Reply

"More than 23,000 parents and children were caught illegally crossing the border in the Rio Grande Valley in November — more than triple the number from a year earlier."

Let's focus on this....

When a young man illegally crosses the border at night, he will disappear and maybe be seen looking for work in front of a Home Depot.

Not so with children. Children are well taken care of, be they US citizens, or illegals. A foster household is given around $400 per child per month, plus free medical and free education.... paid for by the US tax payers  up to age 18.

Assuming an average age of 8 for the children, this calculates to about $14 million of taxpayer support.... for one month of (apprehended) border crossings, for one small area in Texas.

take a longer time frame, and include other areas of the border, and you will soon see a "B" in front of the "illion"

By metmike - Jan. 10, 2019, 11:17 a.m.
Like Reply

But we were told that Mexico would pay for the wall.

So we only need a wall if Mexico pays for it..........but we don't need a wall if we have to pay for it???

This has been Just another way to twist the narrative to change the perception of a reality into something that is not the reality that Trump describes. 

Either there are too many illegals crossing the border or there are not too many illegals crossing the border. Either the US border patrol needs more assistance(they want a wall) or they don't.

This is turning into the quintessential example of one group making ludicrous excuses for why America should not get the wall...........in order to damage Trump.

Let's brainwash Americans and hurt America to make people think Trump is just a racist and it's HIS wall.

By GunterK - Jan. 10, 2019, 10:28 p.m.
Like Reply

I just realize that this is the first time I ever heard of a rancher or farmer complain about his property being protected.

Throughout the last few years, I have read reports about ranchers complaining about heavy traffic of border crossers messing up their life. I have heard them talk about their cattle being shot, trash being spread all over, and once in a while dead people rotting on their land. I heard them say that they can't let their kids out of the house after dark, because they could be killed..

I am now starting to wonder about the source of the linked news story.

By TimNew - Jan. 11, 2019, 5:23 a.m.
Like Reply

You knew that by the use of "Land Owners" in the heading of an article that featured one land owner of 64 acres.  As I said, in that part of the country, 64 acres barely qualifies as a front lawn.  Obviously an attempt to mislead.  But few arguments against the wall are fact based. This is an area where they measure land in sections (640 acres) and leagues (4428 acres).

And you are correct.  For years we've heard ranchers complaining about the illegals trashing their property.

By wglassfo - Jan. 11, 2019, 3:47 p.m.
Like Reply

My personal experience is this

Most land owners in Texas do not want anybody on their land. Some don't want to sell some land so it is a sort of catch 22

Actually it is no different than you would not want a stranger walking across your lawn and then the next day somebody else walks across your lawn. However you may not want a wall just a few feet from your house.. But you also don't want strangers on your property.

True story

I stopped to look at a piece of farm machinery that was much larger than I had ever seen on a Texas farm

In no tine flat a truck came out to meet me and ask what I was doing on private property. He informed me he had 3 guns in the truck and a radio for back up security. When I explained why I was there then we got along fine. He told me people would wander off the road and actually enter the farm buildings. Of course this was not acceptable.

So: From somebody who actually visited Texas and talked to a resident of Texas, they are very friendly, just don't trespass on their property

Except for some who have a house very close to the border, most seem very reasonable about trespassers to me. They don't want anybody on their land and I would think the very same about my farm.

By lar - Jan. 11, 2019, 7:06 p.m.
Like Reply

Texas Border Coalition

This is a coalition of mayors for Texas border cities.

They say:

“We have never supported the wall,” Hillrichs says. “The Border Coalition has consistently over the years stated we believe the wall is a wasted investment.”

By metmike - Jan. 11, 2019, 7:32 p.m.
Like Reply

"Neither border patrol agents nor President Trump explained how a border wall would help stop the flow of drugs through tunnels"

Yes, there are lots of tunnels being dug. Here's a good article:

As the border wall grows, smuggling tunnels proliferate

https://www.hcn.org/issues/50.21/us-mexican-border-as-trumps-border-wall-grows-smuggling-tunnels-proliferate

So is it easier to just cross over the border where there is no barrier to smuggle in drugs...........or where there is a barrier/wall, easier to dig a 70 foot tunnel under the wall that can't be detected by border patrol?

By wglassfo - Jan. 11, 2019, 9:17 p.m.
Like Reply

I know water is different than soil but the technology exist to listen down the depths of the ocean floor. Most of the bottom is mapped. So it stands to reason, equipment exists to listen through cement walls, wooden,, etc for extremely long distances

I could sit on a park bench and point my mic your way and hear every thing crystal clear. That is mostly off the shelf equipment. The WH and Pentagon has to build special rooms to stop eves dropping of sensitive discussion

So you think a listening devise is not possible to use driving along or leave stationary to pick up sounds of tunnels. Go get an education on high tech equipment.

By Lacey - Jan. 11, 2019, 9:45 p.m.
Like Reply

I agree Wayne.  I know a couple who had 1000 acre farm on the border with Mexico.  He was part of a group that would fill water tanks and Mark them with a blue flag so people coming across could fill up.  Nothing north of there water wise for 60 miles.  But he was part of the humanitarians.  He admitted his immediate neighbor practically hunted them. And your right Tim, 60 acres is nothing in that area.