Tax cuts
13 responses | 0 likes
Started by cliff-e - March 13, 2018, 7:42 a.m.
Comments
Re: Tax cuts
0 likes
By TimNew - March 13, 2018, 8:42 a.m.
Like Reply

Wording is a bit misleading, to say the least, but then,  that's what sells in the News these days, and there are many avid consumers.

It starts with "The Worst Deficit since the Great Recession!!!!",  but a little digging shows it's the worst since Feb of 2012.  Most were saying we were well into recovery by then..  Albeit, the longest recovery in the history of capitalism,  but certainly no longer in the "GREAT RECESSION". Now,  if you were to go into the earlier Obama years, a monthly deficit of a mere 200 billion or so would be insignificant.  With Obama and the dems in charge of the house and senate, drunken sailors  would have been shocked.

Feb, btw, is typically a deficit month, and this Feb deficit is about 39 billion higher than last years.   Not a small #,  but hardly the shocker the media would have you believe.

By TimNew - March 13, 2018, 10:46 a.m.
Like Reply

Dear {fill in the blank},

There was nothing in my post that defended deficits.  If you can find a segment or portion of the post that defends deficits, please bring it to my attention and I will retract.

Also,  there are very clear definitions of when recessions end and recoveries begin. They are related to the GDP.  As I am sure it would be a complete waste of time attempting to explain,  I'll leave the research up to you.

The point of my post, which has, as usual, completely escaped you,  is that the dire language of the original article is largely hyperbole.

You're welcome,

By TimNew - March 13, 2018, 12:07 p.m.
Like Reply

The level of ignorance and the lack of comprehension in your post is typical of all of your posts.

Let's hear it for consistency.

By frey_1999 - March 13, 2018, 11:26 p.m.
Like Reply

according to you tim 200 billion monthly deficit when compared to the early Obama years would have been insignificant. 

200 billion X 12 =  WHAT

maybe you need to do a math class

By TimNew - March 14, 2018, 6:12 a.m.
Like Reply

My math is fine.  You need to learn how deficits work.

1st,  have we had deficits every month so far this fiscal year?  Do we have deficits every month of every fiscal year if/when there is an annual deficit?  Did you know there is usually a significant surplus in April?  Can you think of maybe why that is?  Did you know there was a 600 billion dollar deficit for Jan 2009?

You really need to stay out of conversations until you have a modicum of understanding of the subject matter.

By frey_1999 - March 14, 2018, 7:53 p.m.
Like Reply

I know how government money flows work, and for you to say a 200 billion monthly deficit would have been insignificant is crap and you know it, but yet you try to make this 200 billion under trump a non factor. Then to consider where this country was at (  economically )  when Obama took office vs when trump took office.

So now your trying to blame Obama for the 600 billion Jan 2009 deficit.

FYI  bush was still in office in Jan 2009 and his budgett was still in place until Oct of 09.

sometimes it just better to quit digging

By TimNew - March 15, 2018, 4:33 a.m.
Like Reply

You are apparently making an effort to not understand what I said, but that's par for the course.

You are saying a monthly deficit x 12 = the annual deficit.  Or at least that's how it appears. Either you don't know what you are talking about or you are being dishonest. 

What I said was we've had much higher monthly deficits and that 200b is pretty insignificant when compared to 600b.  My original point was that the article was hyperbole, and as you dig further into your pit of nonsense, you continue to try and get away from that.

BTW,  the left is always trying to hang the budget of 2009 on Bush..  But it was written by a dem house and senate and signed by Obama after he added his 800+ billion stimulus package..  But you're probably too young to remember that.

By mcfarm - March 15, 2018, 7:01 a.m.
Like Reply

ohhh Tim, they remember. Its the revisions they like better.

By frey_1999 - March 15, 2018, 9:50 a.m.
Like Reply

lets look at reality

https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/fsreports/rpt/mthTreasStmt/current.htm

The above link is for the monthly statement from department of treasury and in it they put forth a chart of monthly deficit's and by the count the trump Feb. deficit is the forth largest in history only 3 larger are the Feb 10,11,12 monthly's. So for you to make the statement that it would be insignificant ( defined as to small or unimportant to matter ) during the Obama years is either a case of you not knowing what your talking about, or you just straight out trying to BS your way through things.  YOU can chose

My example of 12x200 billion = WHAT  was simply to show how unrealistic your statement was on the insignificance of a 200 billion monthly deficit.  by the above report there has only 5 months in our history that showed 200 billion deficits the other 4 were as we were pulling out of the deepest economic crisis of my lifetime.  This one was created  in what the trumptards are calling the best economy in decades.

To think when Clinton left office the CBO was projecting 5 trillion budget surplus over the next 10 years. then came the bush tax cuts and the following SHTF and here we sit. 

By TimNew - March 16, 2018, 6:42 a.m.
Like Reply

Good Data.  Thanks.   I was quoting from Cumulative Deficits,  but this is more pertinent.

And you are right.  Without adjusting for inflation,  Feb 18 was #4

Did you notice that all of the top months are Feb from assorted years? The 3 ahead of Feb 18 were Feb 10,11 and 12. The 1st behind was Feb 13...  

The point I continue to make is that you can't look at one month and draw any firm conclusions about deficits, particularly in reference to a Tax cut that hasn't even had time to really have an effect yet.