A quote from alan Dershowitz
11 responses | 0 likes
Started by carlberky - Feb. 19, 2019, 11:43 a.m.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/alan-dershowitz-trump-border-emergency/2019/02/18/id/903197/?gdpr_consent=&gdpr=false

The legal standing behind President Donald Trump's national emergency declaration about the border is "very questionable," and Congress has the right to vote against it, Harvard Law professor emeritus Alan Dershowitz argued Monday.

"Emergency generally means something that happens so quickly that there isn't time for Congress to act," Dershowitz told Fox News' "America's Newsroom." "I don't think an emergency includes a failure by the branch of government that is authorized to expend funds, namely the House of Representatives and Congress, to authorize the funds the president wants to see authorized, and they refuse to do it. I don't think that's an emergency."

Dershowitz is often quoted by President Trump supporters. They must have missed this one.

Comments
By metmike - Feb. 19, 2019, 12:37 p.m.
Like Reply

I agree with this statement. 

By mcfarm - Feb. 19, 2019, 1 p.m.
Like Reply

all congress has to do is bring a statute to undo the 2006 legislation that gives the president the authority

By carlberky - Feb. 19, 2019, 1:32 p.m.
Like Reply

Congress wont lift a finger, and doesn't have to. The courts will decide on whether the executive branch should have that power.

By metmike - Feb. 19, 2019, 1:33 p.m.
Like Reply

mcfarm,

That will never happen in this environment. It doesn't matter if more money for a wall is a good thing or not for many reasons, if Congress won't approve, it can't happen.......without a national emergency.

I don't think Trump can win on immigration being a national emergency.  The data is just not there. On the illegal drugs killing tens of thousands...........that's a legit National emergency and the extraordinary increase in such a short period of time makes this legit. 

If he takes that path then he's on solid ground using a legit National emergency and the debate would focus on how many drug overdose lives would be saved with better border security, including a barrier. 

By WxFollower - Feb. 19, 2019, 3:56 p.m.
Like Reply

Trump is being a hypocrite regarding abuse of Presidential power. He consistently complained about Obama doing this with executive orders but look what Trump is doing now with this declaration of an emergency. That's what I hate the most about politics, the hypocrisy caused by partisanship. I applaud Alan, normally a firm Trump supporter, for not being afraid to take a stand against Trump. It would be nice if there were more folks like him who are not so predictable.

By mcfarm - Feb. 19, 2019, 4:11 p.m.
Like Reply

sure is funny that "an emergency is something so necessary its needed too quickly for congress to act".........and yet Obama was furnished 50 billion for a emergency fence application and today not one bureaucrat can identify just where that 50 billion is located today......who knows, Iran perhaps, among the pallets of cash we sent there without so much as a whimper from congress

By carlberky - Feb. 19, 2019, 6:09 p.m.
Like Reply

" … and yet Obama was furnished 50 billion for a emergency fence application and today not one bureaucrat can identify just where that 50 billion is located today."

mc, my friend google makes it so easy to debunk you.

On Oct. 26, 2006, President George W. Bush signed the Secure Fence Act of 2006 

The Secure Fence Act did not authorize, allocate or "set aside" any funding. Furthermore, $49 billion was a "worst case" estimate for the possible 25-year cost of the border fencing, and lawmakers did not appear to have considered that analysis before casting their votes on the Secure Fence Act in 2006.

By mcfarm - Feb. 19, 2019, 6:20 p.m.
Like Reply

my friend, I am relying on faded memory but I think Bush administration just re upped what Obama started......may be wrong but I do not think so...and the point remains not one member could barely identify where these dollars went...maybe in the dark insides of cargo plains to Iran

By carlberky - Feb. 19, 2019, 7:39 p.m.
Like Reply

" … I think Bush administration just re upped what Obama started"

Bush signed it in 2006. Obama became President in 2008, nd there was no funding allocated.

By wglassfo - Feb. 19, 2019, 7:51 p.m.
Like Reply

I don't understand you folks

We have a very small % of illegals entering our country, compared to your numbers, and the only person who thinks this is okay is Trudeau

Who by the way may lose the next election

Now you all saw what happened in Europe when illegals floooded the country

Do you want a country safe from outside folks who just find a place and walk across the border

No: You get all tied up in what Trump is trying to do

Why don't you tear down the gated wall that Pelosie hides behind, in her house

Or let people walk across your lawn

Or: If illegals live in your house or around long enough, you give them amnesty every 10 yrs or so

It is a open door with strangers coming into your country

However, when I cross your border I am asked where I am going, how long and why, as if I am the threat

Why do you do this stuff

I think every president for a number of yrs preached the need for border control. Real effective border control, is what Trump wants. You can't tell me an open space along the border can be monitored with any success

There is somebody over there, yes and somebody is also over here. Where do we go 1st. You get the picture Just flood the border with illegals crossing and a lot will get thru

Do you want the whole world to come to your country

I think it would be a bit crowded

And yet you seem to want to engage in who has the power to do what

Just get it done.

You will be giving amnesty for ever at this rate

What a mess you folks have made of this whole border issue

By silverspiker - Feb. 19, 2019, 10:03 p.m.
Like Reply

..... here is the deal....

.... there was enough fentanyl just seized in one haul to O.D. or kill 57 million people.... that is nearly 20%

of America.... dude... if some dumbass puts that in the water supply....

or any  other  DR. EVIL BULLCRAP.....

NATIONAL EMERGENCY !!!....

....wtf ever happened to .....

...."NEVER FORGET" ?!?!?!?!?