meet the new boss
10 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - Feb. 25, 2019, 5:39 p.m.

By now, everyone has probably heard of the New Green Deal, introduced by Alexandria Ocasio Cortez. As she stated, the world would end, if this deal wasn't implemented by 2030.

Some experts say, this deal would cost the tax payers $91 trillion.

Recently, when facing criticism  of this deal, she said that, until somebody else comes up with a better deal, she "is the boss"

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/aoc-to-critics-of-green-new-deal-im-the-boss-until-you-try

Just wondering about this "boss' comment..... isn't she supposed to work for the People? Does the Constitution not make the People the "boss"?

Comments
By metmike - Feb. 25, 2019, 6:16 p.m.
Like Reply

From the article:

"Like I just introduced the Green New Deal two weeks ago, and it's creating all of this conversation. Why? Because no one else has even tried"

We have had a huge scientific green deal going on for decades(this is supposed to be about climate change) but because she is unable to see it, she actually wants to take away what is causing the green deal for LIFE on this planet. 

My green deal isn't based on speculation or what might be in the future if we cut back on the use of fossil fuels, I can show 100% proof of it right now:

Carbon Dioxide Fertilization Greening Earth, Study Finds

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth

"The greening represents an increase in leaves on plants and trees equivalent in area to two times the continental United States."

globe of Earth from North Pole perspective

Deserts 'greening' from rising CO2

https://phys.org/news/2013-07-greening-co2.html

In findings based on , CSIRO, in collaboration with the Australian National University (ANU), found that this CO2 correlated with an 11 per cent increase in foliage cover from 1982-2010 across parts of the arid areas studied in Australia, North America, the Middle East and Africa, according to CSIRO research scientist, Dr Randall Donohue.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2013-07-greening-co2.html#jCp

Deserts 'greening' from rising CO2

That's the real green deal!

BTW, I'm an environmentalist!

By TimNew - Feb. 26, 2019, 6:03 a.m.
Like Reply

What amazes me is AOC's constant and consistent demonstration of her profound lack of understanding of all things economic, constitutional and environmental.  And yet, there are some on the left who still hang on every word.

For me, the most telling example was her recent "Victory" over Amazon.  She stated that we can now use that 3 billion we were going to "give" to Amazon to rebuild infrastructure, stimulate local business, help local citizens...

It's a demonstration of the belief held by many on that left that among other things, the government owns all of our time and money and anything they let us keep is a gift. Without this belief, how can you make an argument that the mortgage interest tax write off is an example of government subsidizing homeowners? There are many dozens of examples of this sort of thinking that leave no other possible conclusion.

But that's not the main point.

She apparently believes, along with many of her supporters, that those 3 billions of dollars in tax write offs actually exist somewhere in New York's treasury when in fact, it represents 3 billion dollars of taxes that Amazon would not have paid. It's money that simply does not exist yet.  And the billions that Amazon and it's employees and the subsequent ripple effect for local existing merchants and potential new merchants would have paid will never exist. 

And this is a victory?  Only if your goal is to thwart capitalism.  

By pj - Feb. 26, 2019, 1:46 p.m.
Like Reply

While the deserts have greened up, the maps seems to show that the in the Arctic (Alaska and parts of Siberia) there has been a loss of vegetation. With warmer temps there and more CO2 that seems odd to me.

By metmike - Feb. 26, 2019, 2:10 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks pj,

Yeah, I see what you are saying looking at the picture. That does seem strange and must be some sort of artifact:

NASA Studies Details of a Greening Arctic

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/nasa-studies-details-of-a-greening-arctic

“The greening trend was unmistakable,” the researchers wrote in an April 2016 paper in Remote Sensing of Environment.

map of Canada showing vegetation trends

Using 29 years of data from Landsat satellites, researchers at NASA have found extensive greening in the vegetation across Alaska and Canada. Rapidly increasing temperatures in the Arctic have led to longer growing seasons and changing soils for the plants. Scientists have observed grassy tundras changing to scrublands, and shrub growing bigger and denser. From 1984–2012, extensive greening has occurred in the tundra of Western Alaska, the northern coast of Canada, and the tundra of Quebec and Labrador.

Credits: NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center/Cindy Starr

"NASA scientists used almost 30 years of data from Landsat satellites to track changes in vegetation in Alaska and Canada. Of the more than 4 million square miles, 30 percent had increases in vegetation (greening) while only 3 percent had decreases (browning). This is the first study to produce a continent-scale map while still providing detailed information at the human scale."

By carlberky - Feb. 26, 2019, 6:10 p.m.
Like Reply

To win an election and feel that now you can make a difference ... to give those who sent you to Congress to deliver the things you campaigned on... and then to find that no one pays any attention to you because of some clueless clown ... must be very frustrating to the other freshmen. 

Yeas, I'm a liberal Democrat, but she is an embarrassment to me.

By TimNew - Feb. 27, 2019, 3:25 a.m.
Like Reply

"Yeas, I'm a liberal Democrat"

With all due respect Carl,  the scale has shifted.  There may have been a time you fit the label "liberal democrat",  but that title now belongs to AOC and many/most of her supporters.  You have become a conservative democrat. Certainly to the left of me,  but far to the right of AOC.

By mcfarm - Feb. 27, 2019, 7:19 a.m.
Like Reply

you are so dead right there Tim. Metmike pins me with a crazed far right winger and years ago I would of been nearly in JFK's camp. My crazed ideas used to be main stream dems ideas

By TimNew - Feb. 27, 2019, 8:13 a.m.
Like Reply

Funny thing about JFK.  It's very possible I'd have voted for him.  

The dems take pride in having him as part of their legacy,  but he'd be jeered off the stage by today's rank and file dem.  Imagine a dem saying "Ask not what your country can do for you" or proposing that tax cuts can actually grow federal revenue.  Sounds a lot like the "Right Wing Nuts" of today that the dems hate so well.  JFK would not be well received by todays dem party.  He'd fit in better with the pubs.

By carlberky - Feb. 27, 2019, 8:43 a.m.
Like Reply

" You have become a conservative democrat"

Tim, I've been calling myself that for so long, I didn't realize the semantic shift.

OK, from now on, I'll have to call myself a conservative democrat … even thought the term makes me gag a bit ! LOL.

By wglassfo - May 19, 2021, 11:24 a.m.
Like Reply

I looked back and in 2019 we were talking about the new Green deal. mostly from AOC

Well time has passed and now Biden has taken up the same New Green Deal

This forum seems to be against  the Green Deal, by a wide margin

Just recently we saw what happened when a major part of the fuel supply was shut down

My question

Do you think congress will give the green light to shut down fossil fuel and replace with alternative energy

IMO the more likely senerio is billions spent on alternative energy but the fossil fuel will remain open

In the process more printing, higher taxes and higher energy bills

The higher taxes and higher energy bill will affect a large % of the population

The pubs would be wise to not allow Trump to run again, which at his age, does he really want to run other than ego which I admit is a strong motivator

If a younger candidate even Pence ran for president, the GOP could win big considering many will see the Dems have hurt many wallets

This Green Deal sounds good to many but when it actually comes to the cost factor vs constant supply, I think the Dems will have a lot of egg on their face