Quote of the day - March 8, 2019
10 responses | 0 likes
Started by carlberky - March 8, 2019, 4:06 p.m.

Think about how stupid the average person is, and half of them are even stupider then that.

In America anyone can become President. That's the problem.

George Carlin

Comments
By joj - March 8, 2019, 4:22 p.m.
Like Reply

Too true!

By TimNew - March 8, 2019, 8:20 p.m.
Like Reply

"In America anyone can become President. That's the problem."

This is true because anyone can vote.  Many of them are not even eligible.  But it's not limited to the presidency.  It's all elected offices.

By carlberky - March 9, 2019, 7:02 a.m.
Like Reply

" Many of them are not even eligible."

Tim, the bigger problem is that many of those eligible do not bother. 

Don't know when Carlin said that. He may not of had Trump in mind.    

By TimNew - March 9, 2019, 7:44 a.m.
Like Reply

"Tim, the bigger problem is that many of those eligible do not bother. 

Don't know when Carlin said that. He may not of had Trump in mind."

I'd be willing to bet large sums that Carlin was not thinking of Trump.  As far as eligible voters,  I think a working knowledge of the US constitution and economics should be a requirement. But I'd settle for voter id. And if you aren't motivated enough to vote,  I'm fine with you staying home.

Of course, a federal government limited to the parameters defined by the constitution would not be the economic force that ours is.  

By carlberky - March 9, 2019, 9:01 a.m.
Like Reply

"I think a working knowledge of the US constitution and economics should be a requirement."

As far as voting is concerned, I could argue that statement ... but I won't.  However, I have always thought it a good idea as a requirement for running for public office. Some sort of civil service test.                                                     

By TimNew - March 9, 2019, 11:04 a.m.
Like Reply

"However, I have always thought it a good idea as a requirement for running for public office. Some sort of civil service test."

Absolutely. But an informedelectorate is required to hold them to it.

By carlberky - March 9, 2019, 11:21 a.m.
Like Reply

" But an informed electorate is required to hold them to it."

I think everyone at the Forum can agree that it depends on whom informs then .

By TimNew - March 9, 2019, 1:43 p.m.
Like Reply

The constitution is plain English. It was written to be easily understood. We,the people, and moreso our elected reps, have tried to complicate and circumvent it over the centuries.  But it's far from rocket science.

By carlberky - March 9, 2019, 2:15 p.m.
Like Reply

"The constitution is plain English. It was written to be easily understood"

Yet, it has been ammended 27 times. Constitutional lawyers make careers arguing with each other over it. We have politizied the Supreme Court over it.

OK, I'm done.

By mcfarmer - March 9, 2019, 5:31 p.m.
Like Reply

“The constitution is plain English. It was written to be easily understood. We,the people, and moreso our elected reps, have tried to complicate and circumvent it over the centuries.  But it's far from rocket science.”

Actually it was written very broadly so as to be interpreted at points in the future. That’s one reason it has lasted so long, it is a living document, able to adapt to the times.

We can thank John Marshall for much of the reason the constitution has survived.