See the first supermoon on the spring equinox in 19 years
12 responses | 0 likes
Started by silverspiker - March 20, 2019, 3:59 p.m.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/03/see-first-super-worm-moon-on-spring-equinox-in-19-years/

The equinox supermoon will be the final one for 2019, which already saw supermoons fall on January 21 and February 19. But the year may have saved the best for last, given the coincidental timing with the March equinox at 5:58 p.m. ET (21:58 UT) on March 20—less than four hours before the supermoon arrives.

Comments
By mcfarmer - March 20, 2019, 4:23 p.m.
Like Reply

Is it me or has there been a ton of super moons lately ?

Or is it just something the media has jumped on ?

By silverspiker - March 20, 2019, 4:34 p.m.
Like Reply

....lol.... I am still waiting for over 1 billion Chinese to all jump at the same time in unison to knock the earth off 

of it's orbit ....

--- Tonight's The Night ...  

By WxFollower - March 20, 2019, 5:29 p.m.
Like Reply

McFarmer said:

“Is it me or has there been a ton of super moons lately ?

Or is it just something the media has jumped on ?”

—————————-

My response: it is the media. I had never even heard the term before the last few years but we know they’ve occurred at about the same frequency in the past. This is just like the media has treated the dreaded “Polar Vortex” and many other things. That’s just what they do and there will be other terms/things they’ll start to harp on in the future that have happened since the beginning of time that they don’t currently mention.

By wxgrant - March 20, 2019, 6:09 p.m.
Like Reply

Media. It is actually the Super Worm Moon, go figure. I made a joke at the station I was glad there was not a strong storm with an arctic outbreak or the head line would have been "Super Worm Moon Rises as Bomb Cyclone hits the Polar Vortex!" 

By silverspiker - March 20, 2019, 6:17 p.m.
Like Reply

QUOTE... 

===============      wxgrant      ====================================================

"Media. It is actually the Super Worm Moon, go figure. I made a joke at the station I was glad there was not a strong storm with an arctic outbreak or the head line would have been "Super Worm Moon Rises as Bomb Cyclone hits the Polar Vortex!" 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

.... LOL !

....LOL !!!....NOW THAT IS FUNNY   ....... yeh the "Bomb Cyclone" kinda got overplayed there too ......

By metmike - March 20, 2019, 7:44 p.m.
Like Reply

"This is just like the media has treated the dreaded “Polar Vortex” and many other things. "

Larry,

Do you remember when the "Siberian Express" was first used?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_Express

"Siberian Express" was the nickname coined by a meteorologist to describe the January 17, 1982 cold wave event hitting much of the United States.[1] Also called "Cold Sunday", the event broke many all-time record lows.

How about the term "Alberta Clipper"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_clipper

Average trajectory of a Clipper

An Alberta-clipper (also known as a Canadian Clipper) is a fast moving low pressure area weather system which generally affects the central provinces of Canada

By metmike - March 20, 2019, 7:51 p.m.
Like Reply

"Super Worm Moon Rises as Bomb Cyclone hits the Polar Vortex!" 

Wow Grant, that's a mouthful!

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bomb-cyclone-definition_us_5a4d5beae4b06d1621bcfd56

This Is The Man To Blame For The Term ‘Bomb Cyclone’

Meteorology professor John Gyakum has stopped using the phrase he helped coin in 1980. Still, he has high hopes for its newfound popularity.

Here's somebody that got tired of the overuse of the term Polar Vortex back in 2014:

Polar Vortex: The Most Misused Weather Term of 2014

https://abcnews.go.com/US/polar-vortex-misused-weather-term-2014/story?id=26793261

"This has happened before, and for longer periods of time, such as in the late 1970s, but the term polar vortex did not get picked up back then by the general population.

Since January 2014, the term polar vortex has been used -- and abused.

If we called every push of cold air the polar vortex it would lose its meaning and not be accurate. If the actual polar vortex was moving over the United States, we would have much bigger planetary problems to cope with."

By wxgrant - March 20, 2019, 9:27 p.m.
Like Reply

I just hope we the media, and I say we because I am still part of it, don't ruin arctic oscillation. I tried to get them to use it earlier this year at our station instead of Polar Vortex but it was a no go. 

By metmike - March 20, 2019, 11:18 p.m.
Like Reply

Grant,

Even though the titles of those articles used negative verbiage about the media using those terms, I was not suggesting that as much as I just grabbed the first articles that popped up on my search for the origins of those terms.............like with the Siberian Express and Alberta Clipper terms that I got with a similar search.

As a tv meteorologist,  in my early years I  would get overly enthusiast about the weather because it really did get me pumped up. Management forced me to tone it down because some people didn't appreciate the messenger giving them the bad news of 4 inches of snow with such excitement.

They brought in a coach that worked with everybody and he was instructed to get me to tone it down. When this happened, management was thrilled..........other  people that loved my "flamboyant", previous self thought that maybe I was sick. I felt like I couldn't  completely be free to be the real me on tv but the stations research from focus groups and other studies is what determined managements ruling on how their meteorologist should deliver the weather. 

So the point is that I was somebody that would use creative descriptions and would draw attention to extreme weather. Seems like all meteorologists get a thrill out of extreme weather.

I can tell that you and Larry really, really like extreme tropical weather...........otherwise known as major hurricanes. Is that your favorite? 

I got to fly into Hurricane Gloria in September 1985, which still seems like it was a dream that didn't really happen... though my favorite has always been Winter storms. 

By wxgrant - March 20, 2019, 11:25 p.m.
Like Reply

I remember the Siberian Express. I do feel the media takes the terms like Polar Vortex and use them too much. I try to get our local crew not to use them as much and if I see them, make sure they are being used correctly. 

By wxgrant - March 20, 2019, 11:26 p.m.
Like Reply

I always found this funny! 

By metmike - March 20, 2019, 11:40 p.m.
Like Reply

That's very funny (-: