The Not Correspondence Dinner
7 responses | 0 likes
Started by joj - April 29, 2019, 7:43 a.m.
Comments
By mcfarm - April 29, 2019, 10:12 a.m.
Like Reply

yes lets run right over to that party to hear a bunch very unfunny Hollywood types and want to be journalist tell each other how great they are....why would you waste you time

By carlberky - April 29, 2019, 1:26 p.m.
Like Reply

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roast_(comedy)

"A roast is a form of American humor in which a specific individual, a guest of honor, is subjected to jokes at their expense, intended to amuse the event's wider audience. Such events are intended to honor a specific individual in a unique way. In addition to jokes and insult comedy, such events may also involve genuine praise and tributes. The implication is that the roastee is able to take the jokes in good humor and not as serious criticism or insult."

If only people could learm to laugh at themselves, they might find the world to be a happier place.

By mcfarm - April 29, 2019, 2:41 p.m.
Like Reply

a roast is what you described carl....the event we are talking about drifted far from a roast years ago....about the time Johnny Carson retired or Jay leno

By joj - April 29, 2019, 4:05 p.m.
Like Reply

Carl - Trump cannot laugh at himself because he is insecure, which probably explains why he is a bully.  Not only can he not laugh at himself, I've not yet seen him laugh at all.  I've seen Obama, Hillary, Bush and the others laugh.  But not Trump.  Something a little off there.

By metmike - April 29, 2019, 4:31 p.m.
Like Reply

Where have you guys been the last few years?

These roasts have turned into events to make vicious attacks that are made at the expense of the target. 

In case you think the article below was written by a right wing conspiracy think tank source, there bias is a bit  to the left.

The Pointless, Nasty Spectacle of the Comedy Central Roast

"The most recent special, mocking Rob Lowe, seemed to draw attention only for its attacks on Ann Coulter."

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/09/the-pointless-nasty-spectacle-of-the-comedy-central-roast/498770/

The Atlantic

Has this Media Source failed a fact check? LET US KNOW HERE.

The Atlantic - Left Center BiasLEFT-CENTER BIAS

I see that this is once again being framed with the same old Trump is a villain theme no matter the venue. This time, he's a coward with no sense of humor for not showing up to an event being framed for something it USED TO BE based on the definition used by carl, which does not apply any more to this event. 

Cognitive Biases

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/28034/

One of the many things that we can say is likely  with President Trump. He displays in public more cognitive biases than any other president in history.  With that in mind, maybe it will motivate others to be more aware of theirs when viewing Trump ...........because the last thing they would want to do is be like him (-:

By carlberky - April 29, 2019, 5:45 p.m.
Like Reply

Yes, there is a what you would call liberal bias ... because he gives them so much material to make fun of. 

Obama attended eight of the events (at which he joined in the laughter). Was that liberal or conservative bias?

Keep in mind, Obama had the opportunity to respond. Trump missed the chance to show how clever and funny his speech writers could be.

By metmike - April 29, 2019, 6:20 p.m.
Like Reply

Yeah, Obama fit right in. Smoozing with those that supported and loved him............even as they made good natured jokes about him and Obama had a great sense of humor. 

Trump is lacking in those sort of traits but I think we both know(meaning you do too), that many of the people at this event, hate him..........I mean really hate him and are doing everything in their power to destroy him. 

Since this has turned into an event to viciously attack the subjects when they oppose your political position, to chastise Trump for not going, when you or me would likely NOT have gone under similar circumstances...........would I go to a roast of climate crisis people that wanted to use it to discredit me as a denier because they take it personal?

Doubtful and I have a great sense of humor and rarely take anything personal. 

If Fox News was doing the roasting, Trump probably  would have gone?  

The difference?

Fox News could roast Trump and not mean what they say.

Comedy Central comedians today, not only mean it, they are vicious.