Idle Hands ...
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by carlberky - May 2, 2019, 10:54 a.m.

If the big hand is on the 3 and the little hand is on the 9, do you say it's 3:45 or do you say it's a quarter to 4? Are you living in the past or are you thinking of the future?  Think about it ...

Comments
By WxFollower - May 2, 2019, 1:43 p.m.
Like Reply

Trick question. I say neither. It is 9:15.

By carlberky - May 2, 2019, 1:45 p.m.
Like Reply

I'm glad you thought about it.

By metmike - May 2, 2019, 2:33 p.m.
Like Reply

Great one you guys!

Image result for picture of clock at 9:15

NOT:

Image result for picture of clock at 3:45

By metmike - May 2, 2019, 2:38 p.m.
Like Reply

Kids nowadays(actually young adults) use digital watches. When I'm in the cafeteria with the kids that do chess, sometimes they will ask what time it is. What the heck, there's an analog clock on the wall! 

Why the Days of the Analog Clock Are (and Should Be!) Numbered

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/05/analog-clock-reading-skills-arent-that-important-anymore.html

By JP - May 2, 2019, 8:04 p.m.
Like Reply

For this old geezer, analog clocks give a feel for the time that digital ones won't ever come close to. I use a battery powered analog clock for my bed. It can be backlit at night or not. If you press a large bar on the top, the face of the clock lights up softly so you can read it at night. I keep it unlit at night. It's battery powered, so power failures aren't an issue. Oddly, it's probably the appliance that has brought me the most satisfaction for doing what it's supposed to while not being even a remote pain in the ass to maintain.

I once had a 120 VAC clock that was supposed to reset itself after a power failure. It, would, too, but always 15 minutes behind the correct time. This made it, somehow, doubly useless in my opinion, since it needed to be set after it reset itself.