Origins of life theory May 17, 2019
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - May 17, 2019, 4:54 p.m.

Theory #1    

It started with an electric spark                                                                    

It started with an electric spark

Lightning may have provided the spark needed for life to begin.

Electric sparks can generate amino acids and sugars from an atmosphere loaded with water, methane, ammonia and hydrogen, as was shown in the famous Miller-Urey experiment reported in 1953, suggesting that lightning might have helped create the key building blocks of life on Earth in its early days. Over millions of years, larger and more complex molecules could form. Although research since then has revealed the early atmosphere of Earth was actually hydrogen-poor, scientists have suggested that volcanic clouds in the early atmosphere might have held methane, ammonia and hydrogen and been filled with lightning as well.

Or could simple clay have fueled life’s beginning?.........find out about that theory next time.

Comments
By TimNew - May 17, 2019, 8:49 p.m.
Like Reply

Do we see examples of life being created today?  

By metmike - May 17, 2019, 9:16 p.m.
Like Reply

No but current conditions and the environment on earth today is completely different than it was many billions of years ago.

I'm speaking from the scientists point of view. Of course there have been many attempts to recreate early earth type conditions to trigger life but they always end in complete failure. 

But that doesn't stop some from pretending that they almost got there:

Scientists Recreate First Spark Of Life

https://www.iflscience.com/chemistry/scientists-form-building-blocks-life-recreating-asteroid-collision/

My impression of this experiment is that it was interesting but the title of the story was extremely misleading.

By TimNew - May 17, 2019, 9:20 p.m.
Like Reply

Seems to me that at our current level, we'd at least  be able to come up with a computer simulation..   I mean..   look at the wonders we've managed with climate science.

By metmike - May 17, 2019, 11:28 p.m.
Like Reply

Yeah, good one.

Origins of building blocks of life: A review

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1674987117301305