Interesting Facts about Evolution May 19, 2019
1 response | 0 likes
Started by metmike - May 19, 2019, 2:04 a.m.

Physically, the human body seems to have changed very little in the last 50,000 years. However improvements in diets, increased lifespan, and developments in biotechnology may start to speed up the evolutionary process.

Taller, Fatter, Older: How Humans Have Changed in 100 Years

https://www.livescience.com/46894-how-humans-changed-in-100-years.html

"It shows you the power and the generation-after-generation effects of something bad that happened to your mother gets carried on to you and your children, and it takes about five generations to overcome just one generation of starvation, or epidemic illness, or something like that," Bogin told Live Science.

Exactly why humans are getting fatter is currently a question of heated scientific debate. Some researchers point to the traditional argument of eating too much and exercising too little as the culprit, whereas others offer alternative explanations, including the role of genetics and viruses that have been linked to obesity. The issue of excessive weight and obesity gets even more complicated, as many studies have linked being fat with poverty, which goes against a popular association of obesity and wealth.

Comments
By carlberky - May 19, 2019, 3:49 p.m.
Like Reply

Taller, Fatter, Older … well, that certainly fits.  Although I'm about 30 pounds over-weight  at 210, I've weighed more then that most of my life. 

The reason ? Over eating and quitting smoking.