sunday rains
9 responses | 0 likes
Started by mcfarm - June 9, 2019, 10:23 p.m.

not that I thought it would be a huge market mover but it did rain the entire day here in central Indiana {again} and tonite we now have flood warnings up. Seems the rains are drifting nearly due north so Michigan will get in on some of the fun later. Even the guys wanting to plant corn late are done now. And any beans planted after this mess dries will all be "double crop" yielders. But hey, the market is down again so smile on

Comments
By metmike - June 10, 2019, 1:50 a.m.
Like Reply

How much planting is done on your fields mcfarm?

By mcfarm - June 10, 2019, 6:41 a.m.
Like Reply

did not get 20% of our corn planted. First time in history for that. That ground will go into beans........someday. Do not believe in prevent planting here. Have around 50% of original bean acres to plant.

My crop insurance agent called Saturday. They will take 2500 hundred acres of prevent planting on their corn acres. Many growers in that situation.

By mcfarm - June 10, 2019, 1:36 p.m.
Like Reply

MM, just checked some of 0ur northern farms.......5.1 inches yesterday......hard to fathom

By cutworm - June 10, 2019, 1:45 p.m.
Like Reply

Sorry to hear that Mcfarm. I just checked my log here and we had rain on 11 days in may and the longest time without rain was 5 days.

By metmike - June 10, 2019, 1:56 p.m.
Like Reply

"MM, just checked some of 0ur northern farms.......5.1 inches yesterday'

I saw some super heavy isolate spots but that's nuts since most of the area saw less than an inch!

This is reverse Harley weather for you.

Many remember the Summer(s) when Harley in SD was having a local drought. Something like 15 decent rains in a row were headed toward his farm and  either dried up, or sometimes going around him. 

He and I were emailing back and forth during much of that time with me tracking these events and I watched in happening, so it was for real.  No explanation but it was like flipping a coin, betting on heads and getting tails 15 times in a row. 

Maybe not all 15 were bonified, potentially big rain makers but at least half of them, by all meteorological forecasting accounts, should have given him a half inch+, even an inch and he got .1 or less. 

Getting an excessive rain in the Spring, when nobody else does or getting the most rain should be called getting "mcfarmed"

By Jim_M - June 10, 2019, 2:16 p.m.
Like Reply

It's been raining hard here in NE Ohio for about 2 hours now.  What corn that is planted is not as high as soy that has been planted.  Still quite a few fields with nothing but weeds.  

By metmike - June 10, 2019, 2:18 p.m.
Like Reply

The planting progress number this afternoon will be traded like a USDA crop production report. 

Karen Braun‏Verified account @kannbwx                                              

U.S. Crop Progress expectations, June 9. Wide range on expected #corn conditions, but the average guess is 54% good-to-excellent. Corn planting is seen advancing 16 points on the week, planting for #soybeans seen up 17 points. Spring #wheat conditions likely to remain high.

By mcfarm - June 16, 2019, 11:10 a.m.
Like Reply

another sat nite into sunday morning and another 3  plus inches but this time we managed to mix in a few tornados and damaging 80 mph winds....and its not even noon yet.......this heller will not relent

By wglassfo - June 16, 2019, 2:07 p.m.
Like Reply

Just bringing this thread a bit more recent in time for our location

We have a tiling machine sitting on one of my farms ready to work and guess what??  the ground is soaked with week end rain. It has rained every day the last three days. Until this last rain I thought we could tile on Monday but with this last rain I don't know. Water is just starting to pond. I have waited since last spring to tile and wet soil has stopped me. 

I am also worried about our cool temps. The corn has very good colour, just won't grow very quickly.. Pollination will be late. Depending on frost this fall, we may be in trouble