In a world where no one is responsible for anything.
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - June 19, 2019, 4:11 a.m.

Saw a headline telling of how a man's key less car killed him in his sleep. I wondered if maybe the battery blew up in his pocket, or some other malfunction? Turns out he left his vehicle running in his attached garage and went to bed, later dying of carbon  monoxide poisoning.  This used to be considered gross negligence,  but now,  we must have law makers write laws and regulations to protect us from this evil technology. Wonder what this will add to costs?

Seriously? I had two thoughts.  "Give me a freekin break" and "America, right down the crapper". The fact that this was considered newsworthy and the headline was written as it was tells me we have become a nation filled with more and more children playing at being adults. More and more people think the government can, and should protect us from our own stupidity. Bernie and AOC!!!!  Take over for us!!!!  We can't make it on our own!!!!!

https://start.att.net/news/read/article/detroit_free_press-his_keyless_car_killed_him_while_he_slept_new_legi-rgannett/category/finance

Comments
By carlberky - June 19, 2019, 8:20 a.m.
Like Reply

The United States is a nation of laws, badly written and randomly enforced.

Frank Zappa

By wglassfo - June 19, 2019, 9:28 a.m.
Like Reply

The USA is not the only country in which that is true

By mcfarmer - June 19, 2019, 7:26 p.m.
Like Reply

“Wonder what this will add to costs?”

I know, right ?

I bet it would cost multiples of pennies to write a few lines of code so the computer would prevent this. 

If my hard hearing dad dies because he forgot to shut the car off after parking in the garage he has it coming to him.

By metmike - June 19, 2019, 7:52 p.m.
Like Reply

There are a great deal of elderly car owners that are not very skilled using today's technology as well as having lost their ability to see, hear and remember the way that they used to.

I could easily see my Dad, before he hung up his car keys for good over a year ago, doing this sort of thing.  Heck, I do some really, really dumb things but this one is killing 

Ralph Nader was a hero of mine and he would be all over this. 

Deadly Convenience: Keyless Cars and Their Carbon Monoxide Toll

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/business/deadly-convenience-keyless-cars-and-their-carbon-monoxide-toll.html

"But many older vehicles have not been retrofitted to reduce the hazard, despite the modest expense of doing so. It cost General Motors $5 per car to install the automatic shutoff in a 2015 recall, according to a G.M. report to the safety agency."

"Compliance would cost the industry less than $500,000 a year in software coding for millions of keyless vehicles, the traffic safety administration said, adding, “Preventing even one serious injury over three years would make the proposed rule cost-beneficial.”

By TimNew - June 20, 2019, 4 a.m.
Like Reply

Yes.  It will be much better when the switch invariably fails and turns the car off in the middle of interstate rush hour. Or when there is a transmission problem, flat tire or some other malfunction that puts the otherwise running vehicle on the side of the road in extreme heat/cold and the occupant(s) die of exposure before they can get help, resulting in recalls and possible law suits.

My key less vehicle beeps when I get out of the car and it's running.  Maybe to get the mail or go to the ATM.   If I get more than 20 feet away, it shuts off.  Seems more than adequate.