Trump warns Iran
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - June 23, 2019, 6:22 p.m.

"Trump warns Iran of ’obliteration like you’ve never seen before’"

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/23/trump-obliteration-iran-nuclear-weapons-pursuit-1376744

Now this sounds more like how the media wants us to perceive Trump but wait................is the title of the story what  he was really saying in the interview?

“I'm not looking for war, and if there is, it'll be obliteration like you’ve never seen before. But I’m not looking to do that. But you can’t have a nuclear weapon. You want to talk? Good. Otherwise you can have a bad economy for the next three years,” Trump said during an interview with NBC’s “Meet The Press” airing Sunday.

The president said he’d be willing to sit down with Iranian officials without preconditions."

When I read what Trump stated, my interpretation is below, in order of importance of the points that he was trying to make:

1. He is not going to let Iran have nuclear weapons because they will use them.

2. He wants to talk and will do so without any preconditions.

3. If they don't want to talk, then the sanctions will remain in force for the next 3 years.

4. He doesn't want a war, he says that loud and clear 2 different times but if there is, the US will obliterate Iran.  In fact, he even says "I'm not looking to do that"

So Politico, which is not an extreme left MSM source decided to pull one statement out of the interview for the title to make it sound like Trump's position is completely different than what it really is. What Trump says he is NOT looking to do, they insert as the title as if he IS looking to do it. 

Just read the title and read his actual words. This was obviously intentional. 

Comments
By WxFollower - June 23, 2019, 6:29 p.m.
Like Reply

Iran is pretty unique in that the extreme Islamic leadership essentially wants to obliterate Israel and the West, but most of the civilans (largely of Persian ancestry) are progressive and pro-Western. The majority of Iranians hate their leaders with a passion. I know all of this because I have a very good Iranian friend who has been a US citizen for decades and who has some relatives still back in Iran.

So, with this in mind, the US really needs to be extra, extra careful about potential Iranian civilian casualties. Even one may be too many to risk death to. They are NOT our enemy for the most part unlike the leaders. 

By mcfarm - June 23, 2019, 7:33 p.m.
Like Reply

maybe so wx. I seem to remember just a few short years ago the common man on the street of Iran was ready for revolution. All they needed was a friend in the WH. Wonder what things would be like today if Obama had helped them.

By metmike - June 23, 2019, 7:54 p.m.
Like Reply

Larry,

Thanks. That seems to be the case in many wars. It's the leadership of the country that makes decisions and gets that country into wars, especially in counties in the Middle East where leaders are often fanatical.

If they have a fanatical leader, hell bent on destroying Israel with nuclear weapons and willing to go to war in order to fight their case against sanctions to stop them..............they will be sacrificing the lives of their own people.

Is it the fault of the country that kills those people in the war that they start?

There is an outside chance that Iranian leadership will cave in with regards to what Trump wants. If/when that doesn't happen, there is the potential for things to go downhill.

Regardless of why and how it happens, it seems 95% likely, that Trump will be condemned for whatever he does and whatever the result is..........unless, Iran agrees to talk with him and they make an agreement.............which is possible and what his objective is.

It's then possible but not likely that the MSM will give him credit for a successful strategy. 

Remember, just 2 weeks ago, he looked like a genius with his handling of Mexico and the southern border and got bashed for it(that story is still playing out of course).

Regardless, if Iran wants a war, innocent people that are not our enemy will die.............like they do in all wars. 

By metmike - June 23, 2019, 8:03 p.m.
Like Reply

With regards to war with Iran. I think that if we got into a major war with them, there is no way Trump could be re elected in 2020.

I would likely be very unhappy with him if this happened but it could depend on the circumstances.

Almost everything that we've ever done in the Middle East has backfired. Military interventions have been the worst.

Attempts at regime changes. .............bad news.

Wasted trillions of dollars and many lives.

I will say, however that Iran cannot have nuclear weapons and for once, this may actually be a legit reason to act. 

By TimNew - June 24, 2019, 7:27 a.m.
Like Reply

The biggest problem with a Nuclear Iran is that while their leadership may never actually use the weapons,  they'll be happy to give to them people who will.