Activists to desecrate the flag
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - June 24, 2019, 6:43 p.m.

Burn that rag!' Activists to desecrate the flag at Trump July Fourth rally

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/burn-that-rag-activists-to-desecrate-the-flag-at-trump-july-fourth-rally

"Johnson is well known for winning a 1989 Supreme Court case that invalidated state laws against flag burning. He declined to share the time and location of next week's protest or say how many other activists will participate."

When people trash something held sacred by others, what does it say about them?

Comments
By metmike - June 24, 2019, 7:36 p.m.
Like Reply

So what is the proper way to react to people like this?

1. Try to pass laws that make flag burning illegal?

2. Go out there and confront them or protest to stand up for the American flag and the brave soldiers that gave up there lives?

3. Be outraged when you read and see this sort of thing, causing your blood pressure to go up several points?

Answer...............all those responses are ok but this is actually what they want you to do(other than to join them). Their message of hate is designed to upset decent people by violating an important symbol those people cherish. How  low can a person get without breaking the law?

His message is disengenous at best as he uses the violating of a revered symbol to upset people to bring attention to it.

He/they could deliver the exact same message...........without the flag burning if they wanted to be positive.............but they are picking the tool for which to get the most attention and create the most hurt as the vehicle of their message.

Ironically, he proves his accusations and  messages to be exactly wrong because he is allowed to be able to act in this manner as the result of benefits and freedoms that he wants you to believe don't define America. 

Ironically, the veterans that fought for his freedom to burn the flag.........are the ones that he is trashing. 

We should only be held accountable for our own thoughts,  actions and words and not let ourselves be emotionally victimized by hateful messages of others. 

By TimNew - June 25, 2019, 3:03 a.m.
Like Reply

It's the age old question.  Do you wrap yourself in the flag and burn the constitution, or do you wrap yourself in the constitution and burn the flag? Obviously,  I go with option 2,  but I somehow don't get outraged when I see someone take action to stop a protester from burning the flag.  

Bottom line, I value the 1st amendment, even if I disagree with your use of it. 

But, it would be interesting to see what sort of "Hate Crime" legislation we'd see proposed if some people started burning gay pride flags...  I am nearly certain there are large segments of our population who would find that far more offensive  than the burning of the US flag.

By metmike - June 25, 2019, 12:19 p.m.
Like Reply

Speaking of gay pride flags Tim, I went to a gay pride parade this past weekend.

Great time with alot of wonderful people that were all happy and enthusiastic!

Evansville holds first River City Pride Parade

https://www.14news.com/2019/06/23/evansville-has-st-river-city-pride-parade/

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WFIE) - June is Pride Month across the country, and Evansville celebrated Saturday by holding its first-ever River City Pride Parade.

Hundreds showed up Saturday in downtown for the parade and they all came with one message, to unite everyone in Evansville as one.

River City Pride Parade is Evansville’s newest LGBT organization serving the community. The hope is to bring people of all backgrounds together for the day to show unity no matter who you love.

Actually, I think that this is worth a new thread...........thanks for bringing it up!