DNA testing
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - June 25, 2019, 12:53 a.m.

Anybody here have DNA testing done?

I did a test with Ancestry.com.

Turns out, that somebody else now has control of my DNA results and Ancestry won't fix the mistake that was made or take my DNA results with his name off of their site.

So it appears on our family tree, that us 6 siblings have a 7th sibling with the same first name as me and a different last name.............as if my parents gave up a child for adoption 60 years ago.

This didn't happen of course and its my test results with his name(that I can't get access to because my wife accidently put down a slightly different and wrong email address.......his.

He is not responding to emails and  Ancestry refuses to take down the information.

I'll fill you in tomorrow.

I checked to see if others have had complaints about this company...........wow, hundreds of them:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/ancestry.html

617 Ancestry Consumer Reviews    

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/ancestry.html

Using a scale of 1-5, 1 being the lowest, almost every rating was a one.        

Comments
Re: DNA testing
0 likes
By 12345 - June 25, 2019, 7:01 a.m.
Like Reply

I've never understood why anyone would want to know their DNA history, but to each their own.

I DO have a problem with ALL new born babies having their DNA sent off to get recorded, automatically, without parental approval/consent. The only way to stop it is for the parent to tell the hospital NOT to take their baby's DNA and send it off. (Yea, like that'll ever be honored!) The hospital's aren't even required to ask the parent.

Very few parent's even know what goes on with their baby's blood work, etc.

By metmike - June 25, 2019, 12:54 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks John, I didn't know the extent but personally, am ok with it.

Loss of Privacy: Government Collecting and Storing DNA Samples of Newborn Babies – Available to Law Enforcement and for Medical Research

https://healthimpactnews.com/2018/loss-of-privacy-government-collecting-and-storing-dna-samples-of-newborn-babies-available-to-law-enforcement-and-for-medical-research/

Health Impact News

Did you know that it is now common practice in all 50 U.S. states to collect DNA samples from all newborn babies and store them in data banks, which can later be made available to law enforcement or doctors wanting to do medical research?

These DNA samples are contained in blotted blood spots from babies’ pin-pricked heels taken within hours of birth. The storage length legally allowed for newborn DNA blood spots varies from state to state, from as little as three months to indefinitely.

Federal law, through the agencies of The Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB), a branch of the National Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), requires the blood spots be taken for research purposes in all 50 states.

Recent media reports about law enforcement using these stored DNA samples to hunt down suspected criminals have brought this issue of privacy and consent over stored DNA samples from infants to the forefront of the public.

Many Are Concerned about Centralized DNA Information for Everyone Born in Hospitals in the USA

The issues and concerns with data bank filings of neonatal DNA blood spots are ownership, secrecy, and parental agreement.