Reforestation
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by carlberky - July 5, 2019, 11:04 a.m.

https://webmail1.mail.aol.com/webmail-std/en-us/DisplayMessage?ws_popup=true&ws_suite=true

People are doing everything from reducing emissions to not eating meat to not having kids in an effort to combat climate change. But this could be the most effective move of all: Reforestation ... The researchers say there's enough suitable land on the planet where trees could be planted to increase the world's forests by about a third.

Trees absorb carbon dioxide (CO2), removing and storing the carbon while releasing the oxygen back into the air. 

During one year, a mature tree will absorb more than 48 pounds of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and release oxygen in exchange.

Comments
By GunterK - July 5, 2019, 12:30 p.m.
Like Reply

Good idea... I am all for it.... especially sad are those images of the rain forests in Brazil that have been cut down by man.

At the same token, all the CO2 man is producing is good for the plants....which NASA has shown us multiple times by releasing satellite images of our greening  planet.

By carlberky - July 5, 2019, 2:03 p.m.
Like Reply

Gunter, perhaps in a million years evolution will have produced plants that walk and eat tiny mammals in a co2 paradise. (G)

By GunterK - July 5, 2019, 3:20 p.m.
Like Reply

I read about that, a long time ago, in a science fiction novel. I think it was called the Night of the Triffids

By carlberky - July 5, 2019, 4:23 p.m.
Like Reply

In the first movie "The Thing", featuring James Arness, the Thing was closely related to a carrot. 

Maybe Hollywood will get around to making a remake called "The planet of the vegetales" (it sounds scarier in Spanish).