This day in history July 10, 2019
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - July 11, 2019, 1:55 a.m.

Read about history and pick a good one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_10

1913 – The temperature in Death Valley, California, hits 134 °F (57 °C), the highest temperature ever to be recorded on Earth.

Comments
By carlberky - July 11, 2019, 6:02 a.m.
Like Reply

1925   – Scopes Trial: In Dayton, Tennessee, the so-called "Monkey Trial" begins of John T. Scopes, a young high school science teacher accused of teaching evolution in violation of the Butler Act.

Scopes was found guilty and fined $100 (equivalent to $1,400 in 2018), but the verdict was overturned on a technicality. The trial served its purpose of drawing intense national publicity, as national reporters flocked to Dayton to cover the big-name lawyers who had agreed to represent each side. William Jennings Bryan, three-time presidential candidate, argued for the prosecution, while Clarence Darrow, the famed defense attorney, spoke for Scopes. 

The trial publicized the Fundamentalist–Modernist controversy, which set Modernists, who said evolution was not inconsistent with religion, against Fundamentalists, who said the word of God as revealed in the Bible took priority over all human knowledge. The case was thus seen as both a theological contest and a trial on whether modern science should be taught in schools.

By metmike - July 11, 2019, 8:50 p.m.
Like Reply

Great one carl and reminds me of something.

In college, when I told people that my major was meteorology, sometimes they would make a comment like "is that like astronomy?  or do you study meteors?"

Which brings us to the origin of the word and meaning today of meteorology which came from mans primitive understanding of science.

Originally, the Greeks used the word meteor to refer to anything in the sky. When they thought the stars and sun and moon and clouds were all up there in the same place. Understanding that some of the objects, were less than a mile over their heads(clouds) but not appreciating the fact that other objects were trillions of light years away. 

This was what they thought of as their "atmosphere" having no clue that the atmosphere surrounding the earth ended abruptly above them a short distance away and was surrounded by a zillion times more space where everthing else was located.