New Member Introduction
17 responses | 0 likes
Started by madmechanic - July 18, 2019, 3:53 p.m.

Hello Market Forum!

I registered a little over a week ago after a couple months of lurking.

I am a 30-year old Mechanical Engineer living in California near Sacramento. My daily work commute takes me 30 miles from home to Woodland, CA where they grow a lot of rice. After an incredibly wet spring and thus far fairly mild summer, the rice seems to be growing very well.

So why am I here? I'm here because of MetMike's various threads on climate change. Back in October of 2018 I caught an alarmist headline on MSN news stating 'we have only 12 years left to avoid climate apocalypse." I hate to admit this, but this basically started a mental breakdown of sorts that has left me more-or-less mentally broken, lacking ability to focus and 20 lbs lighter in body weight now than I was in October.

I've spent the last 8-ish months frequenting skeptic websites trying to understand the claims, but my backgrounds is mechanical design and not meteorology or cliamte science. Ask me to design you a gear reduction system or a replica part for an old car, no problem; ask me to understand and explain climate/weather science, not so much.

MetMike's threads have helped quite a bit, but I still have issues and can't sleep well at night. TO be honest I'm not really sure what I'm searching for at this point.

I don't know what I'll be able to add to this forum, I'm not a market trader, I don't even watch the markets (though I probably should). I guess if anyone wants to know how the rice is growing out here in California I can tell you it seems to be growing well and is very green right now.

Anyway, that's all I have for you all for now, just my introduction. Thank you.

Comments
By mcfarm - July 18, 2019, 4:08 p.m.
Like Reply

there are a wide range of people here. from old to young, from BTO traders to lurkers. We each have our specialties as you do and you will add much I am sure. If you are concerned about climate you could have no better friend than metmike. One thing that should put a lot of your fears to rest is the vegetative map MM uses showing the absolute and continuous greening of our planet.....we are lucky to be living in this time period

By TimNew - July 18, 2019, 4:33 p.m.
Like Reply

Hiya MadMech...  Good to see you and welcome aboard.  

We're an interesting micro-community with a diverse group in both specialties and political leanings.  We have some really good weather guys.  A few engineers, two of whom worked on the Apollo project.  You might have some interesting conversations with them.  Lot's of farmers with "on the frontline" info. A few teachers,  I think.  A plumber who has refined his system over the years. And many others.

We've watched many come and go,  or stay, since this site began in the late 90's.  The only one of it's kind with that sort of longevity, I believe, so there must be something right about it.

I'm a computer guy who does not currently work in a wide range of markets, as I once did.   I focus mainly in equities from a largely fundamental perspective..  More investor than trader.

But there is much to learn for anyone from everyone here.

Stick around.  You might find you like it.

Again, welcome aboard.  Good to have you.

By 7475 - July 18, 2019, 4:34 p.m.
Like Reply

Welcome aboard.

metmike is a wonderful moderator and Mcfarm pretty much summed things up.

Hang around for awhile and let this place grow on you-contribute if you like.

Takes awhile to get comfortable like most things.

Hope you find all this interesting in the least.

John

By carlberky - July 18, 2019, 6:18 p.m.
Like Reply

Welcome Madmechanic! 

As you may have noticed, every day Mike, our Moderator, will start some threads about history, science, and other topics which hopefully generate participation by Forum members. These might be a good place to get your feet wet... but please feel free to start or join any thread that interests you.

Enjoy! 

By wxgrant - July 18, 2019, 7:07 p.m.
Like Reply

Welcome. This is a well rounded group of folks :-) . I am fairly new as well. 

By metmike - July 19, 2019, 7:58 a.m.
Like Reply

Madmechanic,

A very wam welcome to you!

I’m in Detroit visiting my 93 year old dad right now and not able to perform my usual duties for a couple of days......labor of love but you’ve been enjoying reading our stuff for awhile now and can look forward to more of it soon.

You sent me a message via contact moderator earlier this month and I’m very grateful that you decided to share it with the rest of our family....thank you.

It really does warm my heart when I get a message from somebody that benefits from climate reality enlightmentment in this age when climate science was hijacked for  a political agenda.

Do know that a huge part of the strategy in getting people to follow the fake climate crisis agenda is to scare the sheet out of you and your anxiety is shared by many, many millions of people, including especially children who think they may have no future because we are destroying the planet......unless we do exactly what they tell us,

They want you to think that only they understand climate science and only they know the solution and their solution has the power to control the future of the weather and climate....ludicrous.

You should do things to conserve energy, protect the environment and respect life......but that’s not what they are asking you to do.

The clue that they are either fake environmentalists or being misled is that all they care about is CO2 and not coincidentally, CO2 can generate massive money and control over people.

Why are they not just as concerned about the real environmental issues?

Don’t let them scare you. Don’t give them the power to manipulate the way that you think so that they can control you and your actions to get what they want.

By joj - July 19, 2019, 8:31 a.m.
Like Reply

Welcome.  I look forward to a new voice in this very small community.

I disagree with those who claim a wide variety of posters here.  Pretty much rural folks.  Culturally and politically.  

Occasionally I learn something.  

By metmike - July 19, 2019, 8:39 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks joj!

Your voice is a wonderful example of that variety. 

By madmechanic - July 19, 2019, 4:49 p.m.
Like Reply

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I hope I don't become just another short term member. It seems like you have managed to build a healthy community here.

@joj - Perhaps I can bring a little more variety to this forum   . I grew up in a small, kinda rural town and have a general distaste for big cities. Mostly I hate driving in cities.

At the same time, I am not a farmer nor do I have an agricultural background. I'm actually a third generation engineer in my family (Grandpa and Father are both Electrical Engineers, I decided to go Mechanical).

My knowledge and interests tend to be most things mechanical, I've had a long time interest in cars (I still own my very first car, a 1964 Dodge Dart). I have my SCUBA certification but I don't dive anymore due to Crohn's disease.

Hopefully I can find a meaningful way of joining the conversations here.

@metmike - I'm looking forward to picking your brain on climate topics in the future.   

By TimNew - July 19, 2019, 5:43 p.m.
Like Reply

Scuba?  Seems like a 100 years. Almost is I guess.  PADI or WADI?

By madmechanic - July 19, 2019, 6:05 p.m.
Like Reply

Actually I'm certified NAUI (National Association of Underwater Instructors). NAUI is a non-profit certification organization.

By TimNew - July 19, 2019, 7:25 p.m.
Like Reply

Back in the 70's, early 80's, I lived around the great lakes.  Lot's of great dives there abouts.  Quarries were really great too.  Every now and then a trip to the Caymans/Bahamas.   Amazing.    Then I moved to Atlanta.  These man made lakes are crappy diving.  Poor visibility and lots of ways to get tangled..   I lost interest so got other hobbies.

I miss it, as I am sure you do. 

By madmechanic - July 19, 2019, 7:41 p.m.
Like Reply

I do miss it, I have always loved being in the water and being able to breath under water was amazing to me. But, with the Crohn's being active and difficult to control, SCUBA is a risk to myself and my dive partner and that's not a risk I want to take.

I'm trying to keep my interest in cars alive, despite my recent mental issues over Climate Change. I'm trying to tell myself that driving my much newer (2017 model) Subaru with catalytic converters is not a bad thing (all that good CO2 coming out the tail pipe).

I also have an opportunity to buy a 1979 Nissan 280ZX (which is a dream car of mine) and I'm exploring ideas of things I can do with it, perhaps an EV conversion or perhaps modernizing the drivetrain. However, I have to be careful and because I live in California, there are A LOT of restrictions on what you can do with SMOG controlled vehicles in this state.

I've also looked into picking up RC airplanes as a new hobby. Earlier this year I learned how to build RC planes from cheap dollar store foam board and even recycled card board. I just have to be careful about which days I go flying as I don't tolerate heat very well and the Sacramento summer is in full swing right now.

By TimNew - July 19, 2019, 8:33 p.m.
Like Reply

I've had 4 z's in my life A couple 240's in the mid to late 70's .  Wrecked the first one bad and nearly killed me and my brother . Then a 300z in the early 90's that was nice. Finally a 300zx twin turbo in the mid 90's. That thing flew. Got it to 155 on a long stretch of the 75 on the way to Atl from the Choo Choo.   Would have topped 160 and then some but lost my nerve. 

Flying is great.  I had my ticket for SEL high performance. That was my replacement for diving.  But I don't do that anymore either .  Too expensive and can't get my wife in a small plane to save my life.  

So now, as we approach retirement,  we RV in a 40ft diesel pusher Holiday Rambler Endeavor.  Not as thrilling, but offers lots of freedom :-)

Image may contain: people sitting and indoor

By madmechanic - July 19, 2019, 10:51 p.m.
Like Reply

I'm definitely envious of the 240Z's. Out here in California, due to some smog exemption laws, any vehicle that is 1975 or older is smog exempt, which means you can effectively do anything you want to it engine wise. Which means any car 1975 or older automatically comes with a higher price tag. This compounds the price of 240Zs which are now considered collector cars.

I've seen complete basket case 240Zs sold on Craigslist out here as "parts cars" for upwards of $5,000.

By metmike - July 20, 2019, 12:41 a.m.
Like Reply

"@metmike - I'm looking forward to picking your brain on climate topics in the future.

Pick away any time. I especially relish when somebody posts convincing sounding/reading articles, stories, reports or studies that tell us that we are on a path headed towards disaster. 

I am not looking for cheerleaders that agree with me and don't understand why, other than its part of their sides belief system.

I went scuba diving one time at 12 years old with an older cousin. This was in Tobermory Canada off the eastern shore of Lake Huron there there were alot of shipwrecks.

We found one and recovered some neat stuff, including a flag with a topless mermaid that he gave t me, Mom considered it X rated and I had to give it back to him.

Tobermory

https://tobermory.com/do-see/outdoors-adventures/shipwrecks

The Sweepstakes

Shipwrecks and Diving Sites in Fathom Five National Marine Park

Fathom Five National Marine Park offers some of the best freshwater diving opportunities in Canada. Clear, clean water, submerged geological formations (cliffs, caves, overhangs) and over 20 historic shipwrecks offer a variety of underwater experiences. Everyone, from the novice snorkeller to the most advanced diving enthusiast, can find lots to explore and enjoy within the park.

12 Creepy Shipwrecks You Can Explore In Ontario

Dive into Ontario's rich history in Tobermory.

https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/toronto/travel/_-shipwrecks-you-can-explore-in-ontario

By TimNew - July 20, 2019, 7:52 a.m.
Like Reply

MadMech, Obviously, I had a thing for Z's. Great Cars!!..   But they belong in another chapter of my life.  Miss that too but I do other things now.  I wish you all the luck in perusing which ever version you choose. Working on them is a great way to get dirty and driving them is a great way to enjoy the day. They don't make them like that anymore. Cars today are better in some ways, but ya can't work on them. Or at least I can't. Don't even now where the sparks plugs are anymore. And as far as I know, you need about a mllion dollars worth of equipment to even try.

MetMike.   The great lakes offer amazing diving.  So much history.  They were the center of this countries universe from shortly after it's founding. The things you can find around the old forts,  the shipping lanes, old manufacturing sites...  I was diving in the Niagara River near the Peace Bridge.  The currents were very strong but managable.  This was near Lake Erie.  I came face to face with a sturgeon. Harmless fish,  but when it opened it's mouth,  it was clear my head would easily fit. Scared the crap outta me. The water ways, lakes and rivers here in the south pale in comparison, so the only diving you can enjoy involves some significant travel first. It evolved out of my life shortly after I moved here.