china ----beans
7 responses | 0 likes
Started by mcfarm - July 24, 2019, 11:09 a.m.

on blomberg...china approved 2.2mmt of tariff free beans as a good will gesture....4 crushers confirm...that is all

Comments
By wglassfo - July 24, 2019, 11:33 p.m.
Like Reply

I had no idea how bad N Ohio was. At least that portion from Detroit Mich which has very little to see on I-75. From Toledo to Findlay then East to Upper Sandusky then on to Berlin Ohio, where we are to nite

The 1st part of the journey to upper Sandusky Ohio featured 1000's of acres of PP.  Hardly any corn and positively no tassels that I saw. Some should have been PP

Strangely, once past Sandusky and eastward the crops picked up a bit with several corn fields showing tassels. The big feature was how uneven the corn crop was

Overall, the corn crop was just awful, with not very much corn planted until east of Sandusky

Now the beans were even worse if that is possible

Beans were mostly good colour and healthy, but golly, a lot of fields showed bare ground between 7 1/2" rows Some had the field covered in but I saw only one field that might make beans, maybe 10" tall Mostly I would say the beans would be lucky to average 10-15 bu/acre, with some at a zero.

I know Ohio was tough and is not the C and B belt, in the big picture, but those crops are still important to those people. If not for your generous farm assistance many folks would have a tough time making ends meet unless they got a bundle stashed some where.

I thought Ontario was bad but that part of Ohio is worse. Maybe if we had the PP option then we would look the same but most of our beans will yield some thing. I saw 1000's of acres of beans that might not be worth harvesting, unless your beans are different than ours

Most of the PP was on top notch very good soil. It looked to me as if there was a lack of tile. Back home, soil that good would be tiled and pattern tiled very close together. Every acre would have numerous tile

I have seen that Ohio country in a normal yr and it is very productive soil, until you get far enough east into the hills and swamps

The only way I can describe what I saw is 99% a pure mess. Nobody should have to live thru a season like 2019 in northern Ohio [at least the small part I saw]

By metmike - July 25, 2019, 1:02 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

I drove 400 miles thru Indiana from far southeast to northeast last week and saw the worst fields ever.

Lots of weeds only/PP acres. Way behind but in this age of technology, this was just confirmation of all the bad pictures, stories and weather that the market knew about over a month ago.

The USDA is so out to lunch on corn acres in Indiana, Ohio and Illinois that everybody who played a role in putting out the last 2 reports ought to be fired.

The are too high by numerous millions of acres. 

By Richard - July 25, 2019, 1:13 p.m.
Like Reply

what does PP stand for?

By mcfarm - July 25, 2019, 5:41 p.m.
Like Reply

prevented planting Richard.... and MM I posted the other day and you missed it but some of that late corn you saw and asked  why? could of been planted for sure but we had 3 weeks of hot and dry and some of it laid there in dry soils and did not germinate

By wglassfo - July 25, 2019, 9:20 p.m.
Like Reply

I saw several fields where beans did not grow. I was not sure if it was eroded soil or dry soil. Then in the same field was a pond of water

On the corn I am sure it was too wet during the growing stage as the low ground was awful, with some hills in tassel east of Sandusky

Question??

On your PP are you allowed to plant a cover crop

I thought I saw one field where they might have just went to the bin and planted last yrs corn, as a cheap or easy way to get OM into the soil

Was wondering if anybody would want the tech fee That would be a very poor PR stunt for the seed Co. But the corn looked thick and boot tall, so???

Heck could they cut it and get some feed value???

Does Jim M live around Sandusky, Ohio???

Unless the western bean crop is good, there may not be much of a bean crop, but in the big picture what does Ohio, Indians and part of Ill count for?? On the other hand I have not heard many people talking about their good bean crop

There is some very good corn in parts of Ill

A lot of 210 bu./acre instead of 240-260 and some 260 so don't write off all of Ill corn crop. They always talk a poor crop then don't know where it all came from. Ill has a lot of excellent soil with good water holding capacity.

Basis is strong, so that tells you something when the feed mills want corn and we had a big crop last yr. They are already looking ahead to next yrs needs.

Kansas and Neb may have to wait on the basis a bit. 

Also: In some parts it may take more acres of  chopped  corn to fill the feed bunks, if some spots, in the field, are shorter and uneven 

When do you start chopping if the corn takes 2 weeks to tassel??

More questions than answers as we see this crop head into the final stretch, mostly at least 2 weeks or more behind schedule. Not every where so don't get me wrong. There is some very good corn out there.

By mcfarm - July 26, 2019, 10:22 a.m.
Like Reply

yes Wayne the rules are you have to plant cover crop....millions of acres of cover will not be planted however. Yes you can chop or hay after sept 1st. And yes corn or beans could of been planted for cover, bin run of course. Yes US farmers are lucky to have the crop ins and MFP payments this year esp.

By cliff-e - July 26, 2019, 3:57 p.m.
Like Reply

According to our local FSA (Farm Service Agency) office a cover crop is not required on Prevented Plant acres but weed control is. Perhaps if land is highly erodible a cover crop may be required but I can't say for sure.