Huawei spying in Africa
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - Aug. 14, 2019, 3:36 p.m.

Huawei phones are spying on China's political opponents in Africa, it says here

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-08-14/huawei-bombshell-cyber-spying-beijings-political-opponents-africa

Comments
By metmike - Aug. 15, 2019, 1:39 p.m.
Like Reply

Thank you Gunter!

So what does this mean to you?

Huaweimobile internet networks and surveillance systems sales exploding across Africa

Source: The Wall Street Journal

"'The big question has been whether Chinese companies are just doing this for the money, or whether they’re pushing a specific kind of surveillance agenda,' Mr. Feldstein said, after being briefed on findings by the Journal. 'This would suggest it’s the latter.'

By GunterK - Aug. 15, 2019, 3:32 p.m.
Like Reply

He asked, whether they are doing the spying for the money, or for surveillance

I am sure, their main motive is money. However, since the political climate in a country has much to do with how much money the Chinese can make in that country, the correct answer would be "both"

Since the Chinese don't like Trump, we can assume that they will do whatever they can to prevent Trump 2020.

Worry about the Russians????     ha

Google is said to be intricately connected with the Chinese.

By metmike - Aug. 15, 2019, 3:36 p.m.
Like Reply

Good point.

We've heard how Russia was all in on getting Trump elected but their incentive pales in comparison to that which would motive China to keep Trump from being elected again in 2020.

By TimNew - Aug. 17, 2019, 8:58 a.m.
Like Reply

I've yet to hear a plausible  explanation as to why Russia would want Trump as president. All things considered,  I would think they'd prefer Hillary.   But Trump, according to those right wing nuts at NPR, has been tougher on Russia than any other recent president.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/20/630659379/is-trump-the-toughest-ever-on-russia

"There's never been a president as tough on Russia as I have been," Trump told reporters on Wednesday.

That might sound like hyperbole, but in this case, there's actually some basis for the president's boast.   

"When you actually look at the substance of what this administration has done, not the rhetoric but the substance, this administration has been much tougher on Russia than any in the post-Cold War era," said Daniel Vajdich, senior fellow at the Atlantic Council."