Markets off 2% due to insanity
21 responses | 0 likes
Started by patrick - Aug. 23, 2019, 11:43 a.m.

The Chosen One, the King of Israel hath spoken.
It's straitjacket time, and the markets are crashing:

Our Country has lost, stupidly, Trillions of Dollars with China over many years. They have stolen our Intellectual Property at a rate of Hundreds of Billions of Dollars a year, & they want to continue. I won’t let that happen! We don’t need China and, frankly, would be far....4.2K4.3K6.8K22.7K
Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump....better off without them. The vast amounts of money made and stolen by China from the United States, year after year, for decades, will and must STOP. Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China, including bringing..10:59 AM · Aug 23, 2019·Twitter for iPhone3.1K Retweets9.9K Likes
Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump·Replying to @realDonaldTrump....your companies HOME and making your products in the USA. I will be responding to China’s Tariffs this afternoon. This is a GREAT opportunity for the United States. Also, I am ordering all carriers, including Fed Ex, Amazon, UPS and the Post Office, to SEARCH FOR & REFUSE,...
Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump·....all deliveries of Fentanyl from China (or anywhere else!). Fentanyl kills 100,000 Americans a year. President Xi said this would stop - it didn’t. Our Economy, because of our gains in the last 2 1/2 years, is MUCH larger than that of China. We will keep it that way!
Comments
By metmike - Aug. 23, 2019, 11:56 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks very much Patrick.

I agree that Trump has been saying some crazy things and this is HUGE part of it  but Trump has been saying things like this for 2.5 years

I have a different take on the crux of it.

I'm glad that you mentioned "The chosen one"

Trump only stated this to identify his unique position to challenge China, when no other president had the guts or was crazy enough to try to stop their blatant abuses.

On the King of Israel, this was just a comment from one person referring to his unrelentless support of Israel and the people there loving him.

In any other world, with any other person the MSM would not turn it into this being a delusional madman that has no idea what he's doing.

Like his brilliant idea to buy Greenland..........not absurd at all.

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/37376/

I acknowledge that Trump is an unstable, loose canon that is causing this...........but only from the standpoint that the POOR VERBIAGE that he uses is being twisted by the MSM to mischaracterize him and his decisions(which are intended to be good for the US and almost all of them are).

Take the MSM's massive, one sided attacks on him away and none of this would have happened. 

And when Trump is relentlessly and unfairly attacked like this, he gets worse.........which the MSM knows and they are going for the kill right now. They don't care about anything else but destroying Trump, even as it screws the rest of us.

We know that Trump DOES care about Americans............even if he's  says a zillion things which lack tact and are VERY MEAN. 

Maybe I should just add my earlier post to yours on this:

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/37476/

By patrick - Aug. 23, 2019, 12:51 p.m.
Like Reply

Obviously, I don't like him either, but this stuff is off the rails enough to tank the markets. Either someone gets him pulled together or we're going into a full on crisis.

By gfn - Aug. 23, 2019, 1:18 p.m.
Like Reply

Trump is ordering private businesses to do something ,anything is not only crazy or off the Rail but totally against how this country functions. It is how dictators act. 

By metmike - Aug. 23, 2019, 1:20 p.m.
Like Reply

Yes, I agree too. I appreciate your comments and candor very much.....Patrick.

His actions, sometimes are more predictable that you might think.

Offering to buy Greenland, trying to make peace with North Korea, pulling out of the climate accord, ramping up the pressure on China, trying to get Jews to vote for him. Building a wall and trying to stop illegal immigration. Sanctions on Iran.

None of this is crazy stuff. Much of it is brilliant. If you just look at his policies/agenda, you would think "this stuff makes total sense!"

But if you listen to him describe it, embellishing, exaggerating and bsing, then how he reacts to having his agenda blocked........like a mean pit bull, which causes people to dislike/hate him, then how he reacts to relentless attacks by the MSM and Dems........colluding with Russia, being a racist, hating jews, hating women......and so on, like a mad man, this causes people to hate him..............more and more.

And his great agenda gets obliterated. 

His massive personality flaws are fully exposed here. 

If the economy tanks, the MSM, which has ignored the economy for most of the past 2.5 years because it made Trump look good, will suddenly make it one of their top stories...............absolutely certain on that and they will connect it entirely to failed policies of President Trump.

Things could get real ugly then.

By metmike - Aug. 23, 2019, 1:25 p.m.
Like Reply

"When trump loses the next election he has planted the seed a week ago to declare election was altered by foreign governments  ( china) and his supporters will say they understand it necessary to reinstate him as Presixent."

Actually, if you look at the crystal clear facts, the last loser of the 2016  presidential election and her party have the franchise on that tactic.....blaming a foreign country for their loss.

By TimNew - Aug. 23, 2019, 1:37 p.m.
Like Reply

The underlying economy remains strong as retail and earnings and a dozen other things amply indicate.  A tariff on 75billion worth of commerce is less than a spit in the bucket, but this market seldom keeps things in perspective.  The market noise "is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury yet signifying nothing".  When it quiets down, buyers will be rewarded nicely.

Meanwhile, the volatility is a dream come true for serious traders. Option plays abound.

By gfn - Aug. 23, 2019, 1:40 p.m.
Like Reply

Edit

By TimNew - Aug. 23, 2019, 1:48 p.m.
Like Reply

This nonsense belongs in the NTR section.  It is not trade related.

But NEVER in the history of the country has an illegal effort to overturn election results occurred like we saw in the last 2-3 years. Where is your "unbiased" concern for election integrity?

By gfn - Aug. 23, 2019, 2:05 p.m.
Like Reply

The stock market dropped 300 points within 5 min of his tweets ,grains 2% within minutes,fuels dropped 3%  but your right it has nothing to do  with markets.

By metmike - Aug. 23, 2019, 2:12 p.m.
Like Reply

"This nonsense belongs in the NTR section.  It is not trade related."

You are absolutely right Tim.

gfn,

You are going way beyond market talk here in wildly speculating on what President Trump will do after he is not re elected.

I have already given you 2 hard warnings here about previous infractions, just this month but not on this. 

Treat this, instead of your 3rd strike as some nice advise from the moderator to help you stay active here(which I would prefer).

1. Please Stop posting NTR nonsense in the trading forum.

2. Even worse, do not justify doing it like you just did.

3. Justify it again and refuse to comply as you seem to have a penchant for doing and I can't save you. 

4. I apologize to others that have to read this. gfn has a problem following rules. 

gfn,

You are encouraged to take your political discussion to the NTR forum. This is what that forum is for.

This is what members here have made it clear they want.

By WxFollower - Aug. 23, 2019, 2:20 p.m.
Like Reply

gfn,

I do think you're making some very valid points. The POTUS is, indeed, unstable and therefore, an unpredictable  problem ,imo. And it is having a detrimental effect on many markets. And you're clearly mad about this, for which I can't blame you. However, I think Mike's right that you should probably post some of this in the NTR side. And by all means post like crazy there about Trump! He deserves it! It is NOT just bashing imo.

By metmike - Aug. 23, 2019, 2:29 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Larry!

Dow is down 500 at the moment.

Interesting times.

By gfn - Aug. 23, 2019, 2:37 p.m.
Like Reply

Of trump from the markets reaction to his actions going foward.  His actions were market moving , my opinion of those action and what it tells me about him will be on NTR going foward.

By metmike - Aug. 23, 2019, 2:44 p.m.
Like Reply

Of all the tweets that President Trump has made, I think that the 2nd one below, made  a few hours ago is the worst.

I put the first one in for context(which really wasn't that bad because he states that he will work with the Fed.):

Donald J. Trump                    @realDonaldTrump          ·                       

As usual, the Fed did NOTHING! It is incredible that they can “speak” without knowing or asking what I am doing, which will be announced shortly. We have a very strong dollar and a very weak Fed. I will work “brilliantly” with both, and the U.S. will do great...

Donald J. Trump                    @realDonaldTrump     

....My only question is, who is our bigger enemy, Jay Powell or Chairman Xi?

By wglassfo - Aug. 23, 2019, 2:45 p.m.
Like Reply

The idea china stole technology is an approx. thing.

Yes they stole technology,  but the USA GAVE them free technology, back when all that low cost labour was available

We went to china and took our technology to china, We set up shop and had low cost labour do the work.  The chinese partnered with us, which gave then access, and they learned the ropes as full partners. The chinese learn really fast. 

So to say they stole is true but not 100%

The hotel we stayed in while in china was interesting

They told us the story, how it came about and I have no reason to doubt what they told us

They brought in a Co. experienced in building and managing hotels for rent to tourists. A large 5 star hotel The deal was they would be full partners. They watched and learned what western tourists wanted for service, food, room size, price etc. the whole ball of wax

Then after only one full yr they told the Co. they were out of the deal, gone, as the Chinese partners would take full ownership of the hotel

They did not tell us how they kicked the americican partners out, if they were paid full value but they dang sure did run that hotel and own it, while we stayed in it. They served both Chinese food and a full western style "all you can eat" buffet

I have always posted the Chinese have never honoured a contract in their life

That is their culture. Their word is meaningless. A contract means negotiations can start

If you don't understand their culture you will never do business with them on your terms. It is even hard for Chinese to do business with each other, except they have the politburo that is sort of big daddy and decides winners and losers. Most big Co. do business with big daddy. If they need money the PBOC supplies the funds. Then the smaller Co engage with the shadow banking for capital. Don't ask me how the shadow banking part works as I do not know. 

That is why big daddy has to settle differences and support zombie Co., ghost cities etc.. But big daddy does rule the roost

I guess I wanted to use this post as another way to explain why Trump will never win the trade war with tariffs. There are so many reasons why.

I just hope this currency war he is talking about happens because he could win

Trump will have to break treaties, if he has any hope of destroying china. But Trump has broken other treaties, so what is the big deal???

Make no mistake

China views this as a war with the west, especially the USA. They  spend more, YOY, than the USA on military

They fully expect to be superior militarily in the coming yrs. Not saying they will be superior but that is what they believe

They have decided to break the USA farmer by destroying the food and grain market

If tariffs continue to increase they will destroy the consumer prices

That is why this is todays war with the USA. Tomorrow it may be something else

The Chinese make no secret about how easy it was to steal technology and how much was free

The Chinese laugh at us today and that makes me a bit angry.

The Chinese are making all kinds of threats about a currency war. To me that means they take it seriously and also think they could lose a currency war. Nobody knows but you can bet china is worried

Now that Sony Perdue won't even show up at the Nebraska state fair, to face angry farmers, you can bet china took notice of this. China sees this as a win. And they may be correct.

Wait until Trump or somebody has to face angry consumers about price increases.

This currency war, is the one thing Trump has floated which has china very worried, and I see this as a possible win for us.

I hope Trump goes ahead and in the process, changes direction. He can not afford to let the Yuan destroy the USD, or even affect trade war, consumer prices.

Trump has to do something different.

By metmike - Aug. 23, 2019, 2:59 p.m.
Like Reply

Of course his angry tweet about Powell with this horrible, exaggerated accusation is now the headlines for all the MSM news. 

This is just adding more gasoline to the market's reaction. 

It's this Pit Bull mentality of his,  attacking those that obstruct what he thinks are brilliant ideas(that often are) is his biggest downfall.

This is what's roiling the markets right now.

gfn, 

There is a difference between statements by Trump today, like these tweets, including those copied by Patrick and how they are affecting the markets TODAY  in real time and wildly speculating on what Trump will do when he is not re elected at the end of 2020 based on a crazy theory.

By metmike - Aug. 23, 2019, 4:04 p.m.
Like Reply

Dow closes off almost 700 points!

By joj - Aug. 23, 2019, 5:38 p.m.
Like Reply

I knew he was unhinged when I watched the first GOP debate in 2015.  We voted FOR that.  Ya don’t like status quo?  How ‘bout try a little chaos?

Impossible to know what comes next.  Even Trump doesn’t know what he will do tomorrow.

By metmike - Aug. 23, 2019, 6:04 p.m.
Like Reply

joj,

I'm getting  tired of chasing you around the forum over the past week to get an answer to my simple question. Here's is the last time that I asked it:

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/37245/

By metmike - Aug. 22, 2019, 2:25 p.m.            

joj,

I'm still waiting for you to respond to my question about why you made up this statement about me:

"But criticizing Obama is WHAT Mike?   

'Cause you were dishing it out pretty good there for the last few years."

Sorry that I have to do this to you dude but you should know by now, that I hold posters accountable for statements(will ask for evidence on made up stuff and I will show the evidence that it's false), especially attacks on others or accusations.

metmike

By TimNew - Aug. 23, 2019, 8:32 p.m.
Like Reply

JOJ doesn't answer questions  he doesn't like anymore than he hears answers he doesn't like.  Selective perception is a prerequisite for the liberal mindset.  But I digress.

The question we all have to answer..   Do we change the current trade arrangement with China or do we accept the status quo?  I submit that the status quo is ultimately a path to ruin for the US.  You are welcome to disagree but I can make a pretty convincing argument that you are wrong.

Trump is getting tougher. He added to the stakes this eve after the market's closed pledging to add to tariffs. Without further developments, this will add to the tailspin on Monday.  We'll see.  He must feel he has China on the ropes and their eco-numbers  suggest he's right.  He knows that if he does not get this done before 11/20, it won't get done.  

I did some buying on a small scale this morning. I  was wrong.  I'll make money in a year, but today?  Not so much. I'm sitting on some cash that I planned to put into the market 1st thing Monday. After his last proclamation,  maybe not.  Cash may not be such a bad thing for a few days.    But I'll have my finger on the trigger. I'll buy before Friday.

And the more of you who disagree, the better I'll feel.  Over the years I've made a fortune buying when  everyone else is selling :-)

Edit:  In a multi-trillion dollar economy, a few percentage points on a few hundred billion amounts to squat.  But y'all run for the hills. I'll buy all the bargains you offer.

By wxgrant - Aug. 23, 2019, 10:08 p.m.
Like Reply

As usual when the market drops I sell a put. I have made a good amount doing this. Today I was wrong. Sold too early but you can never get the top or bottom of the market.  So I was put an S&P contract. I did collect enough premium today so my loss is not too bad. The first thing I will do Sunday night is sell a call against this contract and collect enough premium to hopefully turn a loss into a small win if the market goes sideways next week. If it drops, like I think it will Monday with the added tariffs, It will probably take a couple of weeks of collecting premium on calls to stay near even. I also sold a put spread in Apple. The last time I was put an S&P  contract I closed it out for a big win two days later. Here's to hoping that happens again.