Mike -- water
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Sept. 6, 2019, 12:13 p.m.

Hi Mike

In a previous post you talked briefly about water

You mentioned the pollution of our water, which, although possibly better than the past, still is not good

You will know about the waater situation in Detroit

Is that same situation a possibility in other public water sources. That infastructure was put in place a long time ago, before people knew about lead poisioning

I know around here we are replacing water lines every yr as money is available, but golly we have a long way to go

This location we live in has the highest cancer/capita of all Canada I think or very close

Being highly crop land on almost every acre, the chemicals , livestock in past yrs etc.  might have gotten into our ground water. Many  farm homes, use shallow wells. We don't as our well goes down to rock, but who knows. When a house is sold with private water supply, the usual thing to do is pour a bottle of bleach down the well before the water is tested. Works like a charm

You mention the algae in our water. Well I can tell you, any shallow water, around here in the Great Lakes, such as a small bay area, has so much algae it is impossible to use an inboard motor or a ski doo as the intake gets clogged with algae. It happens really fast.  We have many areas posted "No swimming" which is a pistol as we used to go to the lake on week ends to picnic or during the week to cool off. This was before A/C

Comments
By wglassfo - Sept. 6, 2019, 12:32 p.m.
Like Reply

Moving on to things I don't understand so much you mentioned the aquifier that uses water to produce as much as 20% of our food

Seems that water supply is going down and folks simply drill deeper wells. One farmer said he would drill until it cost too much, then he is done irrigation. We have an almost unlimited water supply at 1000' but the cost/benefit ratio does not allow us to drill. I suppose if we grew high value crops but we don't. Everybody can't grow high value crops as the market is limited

You mention concentrated live stock pollution from run off and many other sources of pollution of our water supply

We take our water for granted until it isn't readily available and then we panic

I suppose we will continue until we panic.

Maybe 20% less food wouldn't be all that bad for a farmer with rain fall

Some want no chemicals pesticides, chemical fert etc. Sounds to me like organic farming

I don't think we have the technology to even feed ourselves if we are forced to grow organic, then we would have a different panic

What to do

The pendulum swings too far one way and then the other

I can see more restictions until we have a panic of food supply

It will not happen very soon, but if you listen to some of the Dem candidates, we will be eating food grown on a huge petri dish. I wonder how much water that requires???

Just some random thoughts as nobody wants me for anything this morning.

By metmike - Sept. 6, 2019, 11:48 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

Thanks for the comments.

Whether water is scarce or not just depends on where you live.

The 2 biggest factors are whether their is a large body of water, like here in Evansville, we have the huge Ohio River that will never run out. The Great Lakes supply massive amounts.

Places that don't have that, must rely on water from precipitatoin or an aquifer. There are countless different variations of how local communities manage this across the country. I'm not familiar with all of them.

Here are some discussions touching on and in some cases directly addressing this and the pollution:

Water Scarcity for 5 Cities?-global water crisis improving-droughts not getting worse-greening planet-June 2019            
https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/31785/

The real environmental crisis's/insects dying-dead zones-aquifers drying up-plastics in the ocean: April 2019

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/27498/