Crop conditions September 9, 2019
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Sept. 9, 2019, 4:28 p.m.

Corn rating in gd/ex dropped 3%.

Beans unch  gd/ex(-1% poor, +1% exc so they actually improved but just shifted around)

Cotton rating plunged another 5%!

https://release.nass.usda.gov/reports/prog3719.txt

Comments
By wglassfo - Sept. 9, 2019, 5:46 p.m.
Like Reply

We have 200 plus, so says our local agronomist estimate

But the method to determine yield is flawed

You would think people would learn

We have excellent kernel count, [yes should be 200 plus] but kernels are shallow and ear length is shorter than what is needed for 200 plus, whole field average @ 15.5 %

Average test wt at best, if we get to black layer before frost

Last planted june corn is 1/3 dented. A long way to go for black layer, given GDU at this time of yr.

It is weight of corn on the cob that counts

Frost will do severe yield damage

Unless you have mature corn, no way can you estimate yield, with any degree of confidence

Our best guess is 170 bu/acre

Best guess on bean yield is below average here

Plants look good but low pod count and imature pod fill

Some plant disease is showing

Not a good combination for good bean yield

All crops harvested in this location have been consistently 2 weeks late

That includes wheat, sweet corn, peas, tomatoes, with wheat almost on time

We had one spell of two weeks of heat stress, but still have lots of good sized cobs until you look closer

I don't think heat or water was an issue as we have had worse and harvested 200 bu.

I would say our corn is better than most, in Ontario, given most corn was planted in June. You can see the shorter cobs with June planted corn even though the kernel count is the same. [18 x 35 on average with some 20 X 40]. Thus kernel count is mostly useless at this stage of the game.

Plenty of corn fields with abnormally small cobs,  albeit the crop tour is at 70 MPH. Plenty of corn fields showed some kind of stress during the growing season, and a lot more stress showing up now, as the crop tries to mature.. Even healthy corn has small cobs. I was surprised with cob size, when looking at neighbours healthy corn. Not all healthy corn is bad, but more than usual, I think.

Our sweet corn was average yield, and that corn was planted, mostly on schedule. Our wettest field planted last was the best yield. However, sweet corn is very different than commercial corn

I would like to harvest 200 plus and 50, but am not holding my breath. Just not there this yr. Our soil is not known for high bean yields with a good crop.

COC does better on our soil.

By mcfarm - Sept. 9, 2019, 11:31 p.m.
Like Reply

these graphs should scare the pants off the shorts...but they won't

By metmike - Sept. 10, 2019, 12:24 a.m.
Like Reply

Karen Braun@kannbwx

Some 55% of U.S. #corn was dented as of Sept. 8, behind the 5-yr avg of 77% and exactly even with the same date in 2009 (2018 was among record fast). Look at 2019 vs. 2009 by state. Only one state stands out as being alarmingly behind: Ohio. South Dakota to some extent, too.

By metmike - Sept. 10, 2019, 12:25 a.m.
Like Reply

Karen Braun@kannbwx

Taking this one step further, here are #corn yields by state in 2009 vs. USDA's 2019 forecast. R denotes it was record in 2009. When comparing the 2019 yields with 2009, don't forget to consider 10 years worth of "trend" increases.

By metmike - Sept. 13, 2019, 11:48 a.m.
Like Reply

Craig Solberg@CraigSolberg

·

6-day rainfall totals in the northwestern Corn Belt through 7 AM CDT today. I can't verify that "all" the amounts are correct...but  all of the 8-9+" reports are correct. Going to be a tough harvest this area; does not exactly dry out "overnight" this late in the year

ImageT