47% of US Homeless live in California
1 response | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - Sept. 18, 2019, 3:45 p.m.

4 of the 5 top cities are in Ca.   The other one is Seattle.

If you build a liberal utopia, they will come. Just think, a few more voting cycles and California may no longer lead in this dubious distinction.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-state-is-home-to-nearly-half-of-all-people-living-on-the-streets-in-the-us-2019-09-18?siteid=bigcharts&dist=bigcharts

"More than half a million people are homeless each night in the United States, a new White House report has found. And nearly half of them are concentrated in one state: California."

Comments
By madmechanic - Sept. 19, 2019, 10:59 a.m.
Like Reply

To add some context here, yes California has a big homelessness issue, but note the 4 cities mentioned in that article.

Those are all "Bay Area Big Tech" hotspots. California has a massive shortage of affordable housing in those hotspots but people want to work for big tech companies. You have people with masters degrees sleeping in their cars in parks and parking lots because despite having a big tech job they can't afford even a simple apartment in those areas.

For more context, 4 years ago I was offered a job in Santa Rosa, and I did the math on what salary I would have to have to afford the cheapest apartment I could find online. This was a 600 sq ft 1 bed 1 bath for $2000 a month with no in unit laundry. So I would have to use community coin op laundry. That rent did not include any utilities either.

So basically all my income would go to rent and utilities and food. No extra to build a savings account.

I declined the job and found another offer in Sacramento. I found a 950 sq ft apartment in Folsom for $1150 a month that also had in unit laundry.