RR economic indicator
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by bear - Sept. 21, 2019, 12:33 a.m.

https://www.aar.org/data-center/rail-traffic-data/

this is a fascinating tool.  

click here,  then scroll down to the chart.  you can click on different categories.  total carloads, coal, grains, lumber, etc.   

traffic is still down from 2018

i notice that total carloads gives a different result than carloads plus intermodal.  

Comments
By bear - Sept. 21, 2019, 12:38 a.m.
Like Reply

looking at some stocks of a couple airlines, and railroads, and even jbhunt... it looks like a few of these are trying to break out to the upside.  seems like stock prices are telling us that we are not entering a recession.  so maybe traffic will rebound again as we enter 2020.

but we need to always remember,  transport companies may see increased revenue if they can raise prices (even if volume does Not pick up).  

does this have something to do with the breakout in oil?  

By wglassfo - Sept. 21, 2019, 6:57 a.m.
Like Reply

I am in the camp stks are over priced

Fundamentally one would think we are entering a slow down. Stk buy back inflate prices

However, the Fed insists on buying stk

So there you have it. One for the good guys

Another indicator is Freddie and Mac are way over leveraged

If just 1 % or maybe less  of house mortgages default 

Then both Fredddie and mac are BK

Freddie and Mac are leveraged 1000 to 1

That is worse than the last time houses went bust

Low int rates encourage house buying

But payments still have to be made, and new homes are expensive

Income tax, health care and home payments squezze  the the monthly budget

An unexpected trip to emergency with a 5,000 bill or higher for a cast for one of the children broken arm can push the monthly budget. Some have dental plans, some don't. Kid needs braces on teeth. That is really expensive.

So you skip a house payment and never catch up. Paying bank robbery on credit card balance. Had to buy back to school stuff. Put it on the credit card. Then the girl needs a 2000.00 dancing outfit that she  really wants to join the dancing club. That's where her friends are. More credit card bills.

Just saying a slow down could cause problems even if stk prices stay over priced, monthly bills don't have much to do with stk market. That is paper, not cash to pay bills.

Also, Stk market does not build large wealth equity if you don't own very much

Plus we don't have enough high wage earner to tax and pay retirement benefits will will only increase over time

Just saying a lot of things may be a ticking time bomb

Nobody knows when it will explode

My bank will lend me money when prices are good

Not so much lending when prices fail

Always has been that way. Just happy I don't need the bank no more but most people do need  a mortgage when buying a house, especially with a family

So goes the economy. Looks good today. Consumer index is high

Tomorrow??? Is never the same over time