Deere layoffs
12 responses | 0 likes
Started by cliff-e - Oct. 2, 2019, 7:29 a.m.
Comments
By 7475 - Oct. 2, 2019, 8:08 a.m.
Like Reply

Google states Deere Co employs 70,000 +-.

150 layed off?

So more than 150 are out each day on sick time I'll bet too.

Just sayin'

John

By TimNew - Oct. 2, 2019, 9:52 a.m.
Like Reply

Not to mention,  we probably added around 150,000+ jobs in September.  5 to 10k in Mfg.

By mcfarm - Oct. 2, 2019, 1:07 p.m.
Like Reply

cliff,you know when the libs always go to flyover country and sell their crap because they are elite and know what is best. They portray you and your neighbors as those bumble head pictures of farmers holding pitchforks and your posts do nothing more than reinforce that image. The rural economy is strong. The national economy is strong. Seems the only way to make libs happy is if it was not.

By mcfarm - Oct. 2, 2019, 1:10 p.m.
Like Reply

by the way did you happen to notice that farmland that sold last month in Iowa for over 16000/acre. Now how does that happen in rural farm country with 2 nearby farmers out bidding the large investors for the 2 parcels?

By cliff-e - Oct. 2, 2019, 2:50 p.m.
Like Reply

In my locale of W.Mn. lenders will loan about $2000-$2200 per acre since that's where land will cash flow and show repayment capacity on it's own. Land currently sells for roughly 2 to 3 times that due to "old Money and ego trips". And as long as there's life insurance policies and inheritances to cash in on we suspect the land market to stay hot. The argument that "they ain't makin' any more land" rings hollow with us as we all know there are daily land clearing operations in S.A. and elsewhere. 

As for the slowdown in machinery sales... yep it's for real. The equipment dealers are sending out sales people to try to drum up sales with very limited success due to depressed commodity markets which limit our ability to upgrade or improve our aging machinery fleet. Those PP insurance payments and MFP payments recieved will only go so far to prop things up and they won't last forever. Btw I recall a time when farmers and others were all saying "Get the Gov't outta Agriculture!" and now we have these same people waiting for their next "fix" from the gov't... Go figure. I fully expect to see a continued contraction of our rural farm economy and apparently the farm equipment mfgrs. do to as they continue to lay off and consolidate operations. They've learned what "supply management" is all about.

By metmike - Oct. 2, 2019, 3:30 p.m.
Like Reply

mcfarm,

It's greatly preferred that we keep politics off the trading forum, however in this case our resident Trump bashing troll, who sometimes visits the trading forum to give us constant negative economic or negative farm economy news to bash trump under the guise of it being "important market news" (evidence being  zero positive economy posts in the last year  to off set all the dozens of negative ones) I understand and am adding this interpretation to explain why  and so that cliff knows we're not all dumb arses that buy into his crapola.

Sorry cliff but if you want to continue to be allowed as a Trump bashing troll here, this is part of your medicine.

Your posts below speak for themselves:

New Trump Criticizing/bashing Thread for cliff-e(and others)            

49 responses |          

Started by metmike - Aug. 22, 2019, 1:16 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/37419/

Trump bashing thread for cliff-e            

53 responses |            

Started by metmike - Aug. 5, 2019, 1:35 a.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/36092/#37392

By mcfarm - Oct. 2, 2019, 3:38 p.m.
Like Reply

wow! apparently there really are farmers in  w minn just standing around with pitchforks waiting for something to do! I know farmers in W minn. I know farmers that run several new and nearly new 12 row combines and are buying ground for record prices. Farm land that will show cash flow and repayment on its own has not been around for years and years. And yes FCS commonly lends 60 t0 80 percent of value depending on circumstances. Land values and rent have remained particularly strong. And yes I do recognize there are a few shall we say slightly strange people in Minn also as you have elected a wacked out women who among other things thinks 9-11 was a joke, regularly visited terrorist camps, and married her brother to illegally enter this country.....who would of guessed?

By wglassfo - Oct. 2, 2019, 5:39 p.m.
Like Reply

I can tell you those who got in when supply management was 1st introduced on some livestock and poultry, made a good money over the yrs

I still kick myself for not joining the quota system, as I was offered a chance at a decent size layer flock with total financing, and me just freshly out of college with a negative net worth and a family to support

But: No: I wanted to grow row crops and be a free marketer

1 -- I had no idea what quota would mean in yrs to come

2  --  I also hated layer hens with a passion as I had worked the layers on our farm for as long as I could remember, carrying water in a 5 gal. pail with 1/2 of it slopped down my leg in freezing weather, and all the other jobs done the hard way.

But believe you, me:

I would have learned to love those layers with a passion once the money rolled in, and I realized how mechanized the layers could be. Yes, there was work, but work that paid a decent family living. Nobody with layers went bust when Int went to 22% retail.

You folks thought we were crazy to have quota on eggs during the NAFTA discussion, or you wanted your 1.00/gal jug of milk

Well: I can tell you

If you had supply management on all farm production there would be no need to stand by the mail box waiting for the next gov't cheques, much like people who look forward to social security cheques

It destroys a persons sense of self worth to be dependant on gov't cheques but all farmers cash their cheque

Getting gov't out of the biz of farming and a system of supply management would  at least give a person some pride in not being so dependant on gov't money

How many billions of tax payer monies have been spent on the dairy industry alone. Has it done any good???

As near as I can see, the big get bigger, the small get pushed aside and nobody is any better for all the gov't money

I can spout off because I don't get any gov't cheques on my farm

In fact I pay for the city person who has a carbon fuel , income tax write off for their carbon tax pump gas that I pay, when I buy LP or diesal fuel for the farm

Re: Re: Wayne
0 likes
By cutworm - Oct. 2, 2019, 9:08 p.m.
Like Reply

"In fact I pay for the city person who has a carbon fuel , income tax write off for their carbon tax pump gas that I pay, when I buy LP or diesal fuel for the farm"

I'm not sure what you all pay in Canada. Do you pay a Carbon tax and if so what does that money do?

By wglassfo - Oct. 2, 2019, 11:23 p.m.
Like Reply

It seems our Prime Minister got all worked up at the Paris Acccord and pledgeed money to save the planet

I think 199 countries signed up 

I am not sure what our Prime Minister was thinking  but he upped the ante when that angry girl went before the U.N and decided Canada could pay  more money

So: we pay a carbon tax because we are so generous. and the money has to come from some where. What this carbon tax money will do I have no idea

Our gas pumps have a little notice that says 4.4 cents/litre goes to the carbon fund. Increasing to 11 cents plus/ litre in stages topping out in yr??? [bad memory for this stuff] All I really remember, when reading that little notice on the gas pump is the 4 cents increasing to 11 cents plus/litre/

Now 11 cents/litre is dang near 50 cents a gallon

Now the folks who buy pump gas get a tax rebate on their pump gas, on their income tax form

But our farm fuel, LP etc does not qualify for a rebate

So guess where my money goes

To pay that carbon rebate  pump gas so the masses think they really are not paying all that much and then I suppose a bunch is left over for something that nobody has told me what

It was explained to me that as the price increases consumption will decrease

Well tell me how I decrease my farm fuel bill. The corn needs to be harvested, we can not field dry it so we have to use farm driers which on our farm use LP. We can not access NG. Our diesel is what it is. We have cut our field operations as much as we can with out suffering yield loss. So the fuel truck comes maybe once a week or so. Depending on how many tractors are working and hrs/tractor, maybe more or less/week 

Sounds fair to our Prime Minister

Nobody asked me

Next yr we project we will haul 4.3 train loads of corn/day every biz day for June/July and Aug. to the end user. That is a 50 mile round trip. Should burn a bit of fossil fuel hauling corn. Plus all our other farm operations.  And just think?? We have to haul that corn from the field to farm drier during fall harvest. More fossil fuel

Shucks: I wish you had not asked me about our really generous Prime Minister

That carbon tax will be a line item expense, not included as miscl. on our farm budget

By mcfarm - Oct. 3, 2019, 6:38 a.m.
Like Reply

"angry girl"  that is funny Wayne. Reminded me of a cartoon that was a satire on what kind of world are we leaving for our "kids".....or what kind of "kids" are we leaving for this world

By cliff-e - Oct. 3, 2019, 8:39 a.m.
Like Reply