Wage growth slowed a little in this months jobs report. No mystery and not bad news...
6 responses | 2 likes
Started by TimNew - Oct. 4, 2019, 2:29 p.m.

This is probably TR,  but seems the risk is high for it to swerve into NTR territory, sooo.

Wage growth "slowed" to 2.9% from 3.2 in the latest jobs report.   There are 2 main reasons for this, and neither is bad news.

1.) Baby boomers are retiring. These most experienced workers are naturally at a higher pay rate and for every 4 of them that retires,  5 lower paid workers have to fill their spots to offset the reduction in payroll.

2.) and more importantly, with the labor market tightening,  lower skilled workers are coming off the bench and being paid accordingly.  Far from bad news as we watch the unemployment rate drop to 50 year lows as the participation rate shows stable to moderate growth for the last couple of years.

https://us.econoday.com/byshoweventfull.asp?fid=498801&cust=us&year=2019&lid=0&prev=/byweek.asp#top

Comments
By metmike - Oct. 4, 2019, 3:29 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Tim!

This is clearly a trade related post. Shall I move it?

By TimNew - Oct. 4, 2019, 3:37 p.m.
Like Reply

I don't see why not.

By metmike - Oct. 4, 2019, 6:24 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks for being so agreeable and for  all of your positive contributions Tim!

By 7475 - Oct. 4, 2019, 6:49 p.m.
Like Reply

Lets give this man a "LIKE"

By joj - Oct. 4, 2019, 10:26 p.m.
Like Reply

5 year looks sideways to me:

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/labor-force-participation-rate

My view is that AI is replacing workers and the participation rate will continue it's decades long downward trend.

(The time frames I mentioned can be obtained by clicking on "max" or "5 year" to see them).

By TimNew - Oct. 5, 2019, 7:29 a.m.
Like Reply

Demographics and demand are changing.  Technology is a real challenge for low skilled workers.  I'll save the minimum wage debate for another time.  The fact remains that we are a few tenths higher in participation than we were at the highest point of 2016.  We had a precipitous drop following the tech revolution of the 90's excarcerbated by the recession.  In spite of the mass exodus of baby boomers, the trend is moderate growth for te last few years.