My old neighborhood
0 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Oct. 13, 2019, 4:04 p.m.

This was the block that I grew up on at 7830 Bingham.

Sat 10/12/2019 5:59 PM

TIMES-HERALD AND SUNDAY TIMES NEWSPAPERS

Prelim held for Bingham murder reveals details

By ZEINAB NAJM
Times-Herald Newspapers

DEARBORN — The court cases of two of three teenagers charged with killing a Warren woman in Dearborn were bound over to Wayne County Circuit Court after a four hour preliminary examination of the evidence against them Oct. 10.

The next court date for Jamel Philson, 17, of Highland Park and Demaurio Dismuke, 14, of Detroit was set for 9 a.m. Oct. 17. Bond was continued by 19th District Court Judge Mark Somers who said the court was satisfied the prosector’s met their burden for preliminary exam purposes in that there is sufficient evidence to believe the charges occurred.

The third teenager, a 13-year-old, will have an adult designation, so if convicted the judge is allowed to sentence him as a juvenile, adult or a blended juvenile and adult sentence.

Wayne County Prosector Kym Worthy said Philson will be charged as an adult and Dismuke will be waived and tried as an adult. All three suspects were remanded into custody with no bond.

Philson and Dismuke were charged with felony murder and two counts of armed robbery. Dismuke also was charged with assault with the attempt to commit murder and three counts of felony firearm.

The 13-year-old was charged with felony murder and the underlying crimes, larceny of a person and armed robbery.

Saja Al Janabi, 29, was was sitting in her 2014 Buick Regal outside of her family’s house in the 7800 block of Bingham Sept. 6 when she encountered the teenagers, was shot and her purse stolen.

During the prelim it was found that Dismuke discharged the firearm striking Al Janabi causing her death which was further verified by the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s report.

Philson allegedly aided Dismuke in the robbery and shooting.

That incident was one of three reported in the area that same night The first robbery took place at Steadman and Morross when a woman’s purse was stolen at gunpoint. Dismuke and the 13-year-old allegedly were involved in that armed robbery.

During the preliminary exam, that victim testified that she was going to her friend’s house in a vehicle, and when she walked on Morross holding her purse and package of sweets, two young black men appeared from behind a tree. She said one of them was wearing a white cover on his face and put a gun to her stomach. When asked if another gun was what was placed on her hip, she said maybe.

Her purse was being yanked from her so she gave it up, then the two men went through it.

The victim went inside her friend’s house, locked the door and told what happened. Police were then called to the location.

Next was the armed robbery that resulted in Al Janabi’s death. She was found bleeding by her brother Ali Aljanabi, 23. She died while being transported to Henry Ford Hospital.

Dearborn Police Cpl. Adam Baydoun testified he was on patrol when he was dispatched to the scene for a possible death by shooting.

He arrived as the first responding officer to find a large group of people surrounding the Buick parked on the street and Al Janabi’s body.

Baydoun said there was an apparent gun shot wound in Al Janabi’s neck area and that she had a faint pulse before he began providing CPR as other officers arrived.

Detroit Police Det. Detrick Mott was working in conjunction with Dearborn on a non-fatal shooting in Detroit and was looking out for a grey late model Ford Focus.

Philson was arrested Sept. 7 after a Detroit police officer observed a vehicle matching the description of the suspect vehicle run a red light at Grand River and Evergreen Road about 4:30 p.m. and crash into another vehicle.

That crash and a three-day crime spree Philson allegedly was involved in starting on Sept. 5 were documented in a sworn statement he gave Mott on Sept. 8 at the Detroit Detention Center.

Following Al Janabi’s shooting, a third report was responded to by police at Jonathan near Morross after a man was assaulted at gun point. Dismuke also allegedly fired that shot before fleeing.

The victim appeared in court to testify during the preliminary exam, stating he was sitting in his backyard at his house on the corner of Morross and Bingham.

He heard yelling and screaming followed by one to two gunshots coming from Bingham, on the west side of his house so he starting walking on Morross when he saw two dark skinned men running on Morross away from Bingham.

Dismuke reportedly was a few steps ahead of the second individual and shot the victim who said he saw Dismuke’s hand go up, a gun pointed in his general direction from abut 20 feet away and that’s when he heard a shot.

He identified Dismuke by his hair, body build and saw his face since it wasn’t covered, but said in his statement that he couldn’t give an accurate, accurate description to police.

The victim said he heard the empty casing of rite bullet hit the ground, realized the gun was real and checked himself for any wounds as the two men ran off.

After that, he went toward Bingham where he saw a car in front of his house and a person lying on the driver’s side of the car and that he didn’t get close enough to see if it was a man or woman before police arrived.

Police arrested Dismuke at 5:30 p.m. Sept. 9 at Nardin Park in Detroit following work by the department to identify him, Dearborn Police Chief Ronald Haddad said.

Sgt. Brian Kapanowski in the Dearborn investigative division testified during the preliminary exam as he was one of the officers who interrogated Dismuke Sept. 9.

During that interrogation, Dismuke was asked about the shooting, the other crimes that took place in Dearborn on Sept. 6 and a non-fatal shooting case in Detroit Mott mentioned he worked on.

Kapanowski also offered Dismuke the opportunity to write a letter to the prosecutor or Al Janabi’s family and he decided to write to the family stating he was deeply sorry for what he did to their loved one. The letter was read onto the record by Kapanowski.

“I know as many apologizes or sorries I could say still wouldn’t bring her back or make you all happy again,” the letter read. “I did not mean to kill her, she was just very scared and wouldn’t stop screaming. I did not plan or have the intention of killing her, I didn’t mean for it to happen like that. I told her to be quiet but she kept screaming then she started trying to smack or take the gun away, so I shot her.

“I didn’t mean for her to die and afterwards I was praying she was OK but I am deeply sorry and I wish the best for you and your family. You might not forgive me or even care that I wrote this, but I wrote this because I did not mean for it to go down how it did. Again, I am sorry and prayers for your family.”

Family members for Al Janabi, Dismuke and Philson attended the prelim.

Comments
No replies yet. Be the first!