Popular vote
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Oct. 21, 2019, 11:50 p.m.

As you are probably aware we had a Federal Election today, in Canada

Preliminary results suggest the conservatives may win the popular vote but will not form a govv't

The liberals seem more adapt at turning available votes into wins for more seats in Parliament

As of now, which is still early as the west coast is still voting and counting votes in central Canada

However, the TV talking heads are projecting a minority gov't with the liberals with the most seats but not enough for a majority

One other thing that seems very obvious is the split between East and Western Canada

In western Canada some very long time incumbents are going down to deffeat to the conservative partty

However, it looks like a minority gov't for Canada with a party with very few seats, that could be king maker depending on who they support in a minority parliament

Our electtion caimpaigns lasts for 40 days in Canada

Of course candidates have been selected ahead of time and then wait for the writ, to begin the caimpaign..

I had a choise of 6 party candidates on my ballot, with 3 major parties and the others were fringe parties

The Parti Quebecois was very strong in Quebec but not as strong as expected with the liberals picking up a number of seats.

As off now we even have an independant leading in one riding

A party needs 12 seats to qualify as an official party to recieve gov't funding to hire staff and  other official  expenses

Comments
By metmike - Oct. 22, 2019, 12:40 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Wayne!

Does Quebec still want to secede from Canada?

By wglassfo - Oct. 22, 2019, 9:02 a.m.
Like Reply

There will always be those who wish to secede

But the majority do not want to secede

By wglassfo - Oct. 22, 2019, 5:17 p.m.
Like Reply

Actually MM there is more of a push for the west to secede from the rest of the country

The oil patch doesn't think the rest of Canada appreciates their contributions to the rest of Canada, or the bigger reason, a real effort to move oil to refineries

With the oil patch losing jobs, it is very tempting to think they could run their own affairs better than Ottawa 1000's of miles away

That was why so many voters switched parties and incumbents lost out

Some very good talent went down to defeat, but when you lose your job and some body in the east doesn't seem to be as concerned as they should, one can understand their frustration

Calgary used to be a booming city with house and office prices sky high. Now Calgary is not very happy.

Then you get into the west cost and they have different issues

No wonder we have a minority gov't with so many regional issues. Even the vote count was low with  approx. 66% of eligible people bothering to go and vote

The common perception was everybody was promising everything and once elected they would have an excuse to not carry out their promises

At least Trump has ticked off one by one his campaign promises, even if some proved to be a  bit too hard to accomplish, with the left always trying to sabatoge his efforts

And of course the one thing I hate the most is Canada is poised to get really serious about climate change.  This is something that Canada will very likely have a debate in the near future. Maybe the cost will change some people's thoughts. I can only hope but when we have our farms incorporated and the main tax revenue coming from rich corporations it doesn't look so good for our farm. A corp tax rate of 15% was good for us but if they raise that rate, which I bet they will, then what do we do.

I guess we just suck it up and carry on as best we can