a very sad farm story
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by mcfarm - Oct. 26, 2019, 6:19 p.m.

lost one of the best this week. 43 years old, father of 3 boys. great human being, great farmer, great dad. Doing what he loved farming his families ground. This happens all to often in farm country in one of the most dangerous occupations anywhere. You see he did what thousand of us do every year. Simply was not careful enough and took a chance. He was trying to get on the step of a moving combine. Cannot tell you all how many times I have done the same. Well he slipped and the combine ran over him and killed him. In farm country, especially this time of year we simply take too many chances. This guy was a oner. Lead his high school team to 3 straight sectionals. All time 3 point shooter at Mercer college and a shy, quiet man who never boasted. His friend of 19 who was operating the combine is in a living hell now. Sitting thinking and wondering why this happened. And how he was the one {although not his fault] that was driving when this terrible accident took his friend, his hero, and his idol from this world.

Comments
By wglassfo - Oct. 26, 2019, 9:35 p.m.
Like Reply

I did the very same thing with a moving wagon

I was lucky

The wagon, loaded with sacks of potatoes, which had been picked up from the potato field. II was one of the workers and on the way back to the sorting barn I jumped off and then tried to jump back on, all because we were going under a tree with wet leaves.. I was the majo, invinsible, kid trying to impress my peers.  I slipped, the wagon ran over my one leg. I was in traction for two weeks and then a cast. 

My son constantly preaches safety to everybody on the farm

We work in a dangerous occupation and I agree

One mistake can be fatal

I was very lucky

Now I respect machinery with a much different attitude

I was told machinery never reaches out and grabs you. You are the reason for an accident or worse.

There are many stories to be told in our occupation

By metmike - Oct. 27, 2019, 9:39 a.m.
Like Reply

Very sorry to hear about this mcfarm. Farming is one of the most dangerous professions in America.

The 34 most dangerous jobs in America

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america-2018-7

8.  Farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural managers

soybean farmer                                                                                                                                                                                        Scott Olson/Getty Images                                                                                                                                                                                

What they do: Plan, direct, or coordinate the management or operation of farms or other agricultural establishments.

Fatal injury rate (per 100,000 workers): 23.1

Non-fatal injury rate (per 100,000 workers): 28