Nobody wants a used Telsa
0 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Nov. 14, 2019, 5:51 p.m.

So I read about the unfortunate owner of a Telsa that was in a crash, which totally destroyed the car. Come to find out, the owner can't even give the car away or pay to remove at anything the owner can afford. So he is stuck with this destroyed Telsa, in his drive way or where ever the picture was taken.

So: I got to wondering. What was the problem?

Come to find out the battery in an electric car is different from your common flash light battery or any battery using lead plates, such as the common car battery

An electric car battery uses lithium inside for low power start and longer useage between charges. Every car manufacturer has different designs but all use the lithium battery

Come to find out the lithium battery can suddenly burst into flame. Such that aviation wanted hazardous material packaging restrictions placed on the lithium battery, used in your lap top, cell phone etc due to the danger of a fire in the cargo area, of bulk shipments. One plane did crash killing both pilots and a fire was ruled the cause of the crash

So: What about larger electric car batteries. It seems the electric, lithium car battery re-cycling process is tedious, expensive and dangerous. The only material of any quantity that makes any sense, economically is the value of the cobalt. All other elements are in such small quantities as to be un-economical

So far, nobody is re-cycling electric car batteries that I know of, as of the date I looked for info. Cobalt is the most common material removed from these batteries and was worth 400.00/lb but it was deemed to be cheaper to just go to the mine for new material., vs the cost to re-cycle

So: Maybe, before you rush out to buy an electric car you should ask who will offer to take your electric car when you want to trade for a newer car

Ford is taking $500.00 deposits for their upcoming electric car. Has anybody made a deposit on a new Ford electric car???

Good question for AOC

Comments
No replies yet. Be the first!